Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleeb
It sorta worked, i had to copy the game files back to the steam folder though.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2010, 05:51 PM
No dice for me, having restored to a save from yesterday and followed your steps through I hit the launcher error discussed in http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=89029.

This then led on to me redownloading all the files for try number three.
Lt. Commander
# 4 The fix!
01-29-2010, 05:59 PM
This is for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users only. Windows Xp does not have the shadow copy feature so those users are out of luck here. Also if you do not have system restore turned on then this solution does not apply to you either.

"From time to time, Windows® VistaTM creates point-in-time copies of your files. This allows you to retrieve older versions from files you accidentally deleted or altered. This service is turned on by default on all versions of Windows® VistaTM, but Microsoft grants access to these copies only in Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions. This is where ShadowExplorer comes into play. For more information on Shadow Copy, visit Microsofts website."

1. Download ShadowExplorer http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html

2. In ShadowExplorer go to
For 64-bit users C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
For 32-bit users C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

3. Right click on the folder titles star trek online and click export.

4. Export the star trek online folder to your desktop or wherever you want it.

5. Close Steam

6. For 64-bit users open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
For 32-bit users open C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

7. Replace the star trek online folder that is already in there with the one you recovered using ShadowExplorer.

8. Run Star Trek Online with the shortcut Steam originally placed on your desktop, steam will launch Star Trek Online, it will then do a very small update that will only take a few seconds.

9. After that the Star Trek Online Launcher will open and install the 59mb patch.

10. That's it! You're good to go

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Post your results!!!
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammerung View Post
This is for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users only. Windows Xp does not have the shadow copy feature so those users are out of luck here. Also if you do not have system restore turned on then this solution does not apply to you either.

"From time to time, Windows® VistaTM creates point-in-time copies of your files. This allows you to retrieve older versions from files you accidentally deleted or altered. This service is turned on by default on all versions of Windows® VistaTM, but Microsoft grants access to these copies only in Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions. This is where ShadowExplorer comes into play. For more information on Shadow Copy, visit Microsofts website."

1. Download ShadowExplorer http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html

2. In ShadowExplorer go to
For 64-bit users C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
For 32-bit users C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

3. Right click on the folder titles star trek online and click export.

4. Export the star trek online folder to your desktop or wherever you want it.

5. Close Steam

6. For 64-bit users open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
For 32-bit users open C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

7. Replace the star trek online folder that is already in there with the one you recovered using ShadowExplorer.

8. Run Star Trek Online with the shortcut Steam originally placed on your desktop, steam will launch Star Trek Online, it will then do a very small update that will only take a few seconds.

9. After that the Star Trek Online Launcher will open and install the 59mb patch.

10. That's it! You're good to go

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Post your results!!!
This worked for me. I checked out Shadowexplorer from some online reviews first to make sure the chinese were not about to run off with my account and it seems legit.

It fixed my problem totally! Don't cancel it if the green bar does not progress (got stuck at about a third way through) it will complete.

Thank you Cryptic for this fix... oh wait, thankyou Valve for... oh wait.

Thankyou Dammerung you've acheived what the two companies involved could not. Nice one.

Cryptic and Valve, what the hell?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-29-2010, 07:37 PM
And if you are a bit squeamish with the lack of replies quite a few more people tried it and responded here:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=89227

(damn you XP! or damn me for my lack of upgrading OSes)
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Yup, Dammerung's fix worked, should be up stickied or something.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-29-2010, 07:57 PM
What about us with XP?
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_Donovan
What about us with XP?
Blame Steam
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-29-2010, 08:43 PM
I have done all that has been suggested and while it has worked at reducing the amount I have to patch 1.5gb to DL, the client crashes every 30 or so seconds. Therefore I cannot get anywhere near updating...

This is so frustrating. Its coming on 12 hours after the headstart actually started and im still having detail even reading the bloody patch notes. This is not acceptable and im sorry if im starting rage but my patience is wearing very thin after this 10+ hour wait. All I can find are nice, helpful members of this community trying to find fixes but neither Steam nor Cryptic give a damn and are just twiddling their fingers ignoring the fact that a good percentage of people cant get what they have paid for...