Lt. Commander
# 1 Red or Yellow (Tactical)
01-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Anyone else recolor their tactical officers to gold instead of TOS red? By TNG tactical had become gold and command became red so why in the 25th century have they gone to uniform colors over a century out of date???
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasidy
Anyone else recolor their tactical officers to gold instead of TOS red? By TNG tactical had become gold and command became red so why in the 25th century have they gone to uniform colors over a century out of date???
As to not needlessly confuse the player. Considering it's a minor issue, I don't see the big deal with it -- and I'm with you. I recolor my tactical officers gold.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Oh no, I don't suppose the devs be alarmed about this because it's a minor issue. I just wonder what the logic is behind Starfleet changing their colors to ones they haven't used since Archer and Kirk. Having grown up mainly on the post-TOS (talking time-wise, so this includes ENT) era, it's just a bit confusing at first.

It's also strange that you have to recolor your captain's collar to command (if you're trying to be canon) when every Star Trek captain's that I've seen on TV and in the movies defaults to the command color which should be red, or if they insist on going TOS on us, yellow.

Example: My character is a science officer so the uniform is set to teal as default but Captain Janeway was also a scientist and wore command colors. The only inconsistency I can think of in this is the fact that in TOS Spock wore his science colors even though he was XO and generally XO's also wear command colors regardless of department.

Again, this is not a complaint for the dev's, I just find it interesting (and confusing).
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Leonard Nimoy looks better in blue than yellow, thats why he wore blue.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2010, 06:30 PM
On a related note, how many men, alien or not, look good in yellow...
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasidy
On a related note, how many men, alien or not, look good in yellow...
Only one.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-29-2010, 07:08 PM
I am actually changing my crew's uniform colors to be more 'canon'. One of my tactical officers is staying red, since he's actually my Navigator and thus wears the command colors. The other one is just my head of security, so he got switched to gold. My XO is an engineer, so I recolored him to red. And I recolored my Chief Medical Officer to a greenish, cause I liked that better. Oh, and for myself, I have an all-black uniform, as my backstory is that I'm an Intelligence officer. I haven't had a group ground mission yet, but I can't wait to see people get confused ;-).
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-29-2010, 07:29 PM
My Tactical Officers are in white with red trim.

Engineers are orange and red, Scientists are green and light blue (except for the one I designate as "doctor"... that one will wear TOS skirt and be pink =^_^=), and command (i.e. my Captain) is "minty blue" (aquamarine) and red.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-29-2010, 07:34 PM
I did my tactical in green and a bit of black then orange and black in beta, ended with darkest red and white, doing science for headstart now with light blue primary and dark blue secondary.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-29-2010, 08:36 PM
[quote=Kasidy

It's also strange that you have to recolor your captain's collar to command (if you're trying to be canon) when every Star Trek captain's that I've seen on TV and in the movies defaults to the command color which should be red, or if they insist on going TOS on us, yellow.[/QUOTE]

You would be correct, I have only find one refrence to someone Capt or above not wearing Command Divsion red

Also found this quote in the Memory Alpha wiki
Quote:
Most often, in the Federation Starfleet, all captains and admirals wear command division colors, however there are exceptions which prove that this is not a requirement. In TOS, two commodores, Stone and Stocker, wore red operations division uniforms and Captain Krasnovsky wore sciences division blue. In the movie era, Scotty switched back and forth from command white to engineering gold after receiving his captain's bars. In TNG-era productions, DS9: "The Die is Cast" had an admiral named Toddman wearing operations division gold, despite every other Starfleet captain and admiral ever seen in this era wearing command colors.