Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 650
# 11
10-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
i like and agree with the though process behind the arus. some times theres a question of why have a cruiser around in certain content, well they give you a reason to want one around, with their aoe buffs. the com array item, that will act like doffs do to station powers, sounds real cool too

the secondary sci ship deflector sounds great too.



BUT gecko and dev guys, right now the current trend is that cruisers are sort of king right now with FAW and DEM ruining everyone. at this point, escorts might need something too. for right now, stop or slowdown cruiser buffing. Lets be honest it isnt the engineer in the cruiser with FAW DEM that we are concerned about, it is the Tac with APA and FMM. Its the same concern that Geko seemed to state that escorts need a tweak downward in dps. I don't agree the ship needs it as much as the tac captain abilities need the tweak.





i like to hear those class based objectives, and a cooler effect happening if you grav well something instead of standardly interacting with something, thats a great idea.
I don't think escorts need a buff or that cruisers needed as strong a buff for FAW, but Tactical captains have a decisive advantage in the game. It is not that cruisers need dps as much as something other than dps needs to be made more significant.

The cruiser dem+FAW run by an engineer is not a problem, it is the Tactical captain's APA and other abilities that make it too much. In a similar way the escort is a little too spikey. They need to tweak the Tactical captain downward. In a balanced world I don't see the Tac as being OP, but since DPS is the end all be all, a moderate dps boost is equivalent to an enormous energy drain or heal boost.

In the end I think cruisers are buffed a little beyond what they need, but Tac captains need some work if they can't find a non-dps factor to make significant in the game.
PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.

Last edited by milanvorius; 10-24-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,140
# 12
10-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Sweet, thanks for clearing up the damage resistance issue with threat control communication.

"Never say never to a tier 5 Connie."
-Captain Geko
This is like the third time he's said something like that.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1313421
The Somraw, K'tinga, D'Kyr, D7, Kumari, Xindi carrier, Xindi escort, and the T'Varo are all older than the Constitution Refit and yet they are tier 5. The Constellation is made up primarily of Connie refit parts and it is tier 5, there is no logical reason whatsoever for the no tier 5/6 connie rule.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 996
# 13
10-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by milanvorius View Post
I don't think escorts need a buff or that cruisers needed as strong a buff for FAW, but Tactical captains have a decisive advantage in the game. It is not that cruisers need dps as much as something other than dps needs to be made more significant.

The cruiser dem+FAW run by an engineer is not a problem, it is the Tactical captain's APA and other abilities that make it too much. In a similar way the escort is a little too spikey. They need to tweak the Tactical captain downward. In a balanced world I don't see the Tac as being OP, but since DPS is the end all be all, a moderate dps boost is equivalent to an enormous energy drain or heal boost.

In the end I think cruisers are buffed a little beyond what they need, but Tac captains need some work if they can't find a non-dps factor to make significant in the game.
Indeed. Further in the interview, Rivera says that they didn't want to do the Trinity because they saw most who play their games do so solo, and wanted to diversify what a single character could do. But by not making trinity based content, it has just forced DPS to be the optimally effective way to play the game. Tanks need to be required. Support needs to be required.

Also, the Engy and Sci need their powers retuned. The Tac Captain works fine for what it does, but the Sci and Engy don't even work all that well.

The EPS boost, even when the game launched, wasn't all that great since power levels were already generous. Now it's so easy to get high power levels that EPS boost is useless. Nadion Inversion is sort of OK, but replicating it's effects in Marion Frances Dulmar and the new Cruiser Commands makes it not as oomphy as it should be. Miracle worker is cool in concept, but if you need to use it, odds are the High Damage is still incoming.

As for Scis; Subnucleonic beam is useless in PvE and OP in PvP. Scattering Field is good, but not great. Photonic Fleet IMO doesn't work as a concept. It's weak damage, and the high aggro associated with them trivializes anybody who does spec into tanking. Sensor Scan is good, but it seems weird for Tac and Sci captains to have basically the same exact power.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 283
# 14
10-24-2013, 10:08 PM
He just swerved around that Ground Combat question like a rally racer.
These forums suck. ~Omega X
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,123
# 15
10-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Star trek TNG Schisms.....so we gonna finally find out about the Elachi and the Hooded aliens relasionship to each other.
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,471
# 16
10-25-2013, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Star trek TNG Schisms.....so we gonna finally find out about the Elachi and the Hooded aliens relasionship to each other.
They obviously visit in the same abduction seminar.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 650
# 17
10-25-2013, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Indeed. Further in the interview, Rivera says that they didn't want to do the Trinity because they saw most who play their games do so solo, and wanted to diversify what a single character could do. But by not making trinity based content, it has just forced DPS to be the optimally effective way to play the game. Tanks need to be required. Support needs to be required.

Also, the Engy and Sci need their powers retuned. The Tac Captain works fine for what it does, but the Sci and Engy don't even work all that well.

The EPS boost, even when the game launched, wasn't all that great since power levels were already generous. Now it's so easy to get high power levels that EPS boost is useless. Nadion Inversion is sort of OK, but replicating it's effects in Marion Frances Dulmar and the new Cruiser Commands makes it not as oomphy as it should be. Miracle worker is cool in concept, but if you need to use it, odds are the High Damage is still incoming.

As for Scis; Subnucleonic beam is useless in PvE and OP in PvP. Scattering Field is good, but not great. Photonic Fleet IMO doesn't work as a concept. It's weak damage, and the high aggro associated with them trivializes anybody who does spec into tanking. Sensor Scan is good, but it seems weird for Tac and Sci captains to have basically the same exact power.
PvE and PVP skills need to be balanced differently. Let the skill balance to pve, then have modifiers that increase or decrease aspects of the skill for propper pvp balance. Also have two separate skill trees since there is such a difference in pve and pvp play. I felt like Geko does not approve of max space skills at the expense of ground, but I am not sure what he expects since they made the skills of two very different game modes overlap into the same xp pool. People are going to focus on what they like and further make them selves less capable in the aspect they don't like, which further reduces the likelihood they will expand their horizons. That aspect of the skill tree needs to go away, far far away.

Since engineer captain abilities seem to give them a tank like feel then they need a built in passive that they buff their team's damage resistance and dps. That buff grows as time wears on. There would be no distance limit to this, outside of "team support range."

The reason to have this grow over time to be more powerful is it forces the other team deal with you or let your power grow over time. The damage resistance and dps buffs do not apply to the engineer captains themselves. This way you can't have two or three engineers that make each other invincible.
PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 101
# 18
10-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Well, now that they have a 3rd ship designer, perhaps they can sneak in a backswept pylon option for the Ambassador.

It would be easier to justify spending 15-20 days designing a lower-tier ship if said ships were useful to the player for more than 10 missions. I fully blame the "1 level up per mission" experience curve for lackluster lower-tier sales.

No reason to buy T1-T4 CStore ships or even to gear up with purples on the exchange or gear from the dil store gear when you outgrow each ship and its equipment in an afternoon of playing missions, and even faster if you do DOFFing or wander into exploration content.

Now, if I was able to actually spend some quality time with a hypothetical Constellation or Norway at their appropriate tier, I'd be more likely to buy the ship. Instead, we buy low-tier ships to transplant their console to a T5 ship because our long weekend (no Red Bull required) happened long ago.

In short, if you want to make low tier ships worth it, make them useful for longer periods of gameplay. That being said, STO is an Endgame MMO. Making it less Endgame would be a massive undertaking for additional low-level content and is unlikely to be the right solution. Instead, do resurrect an old idea that never seem to go anywhere: Have different Endgame content use different tier ships (much like a default shuttle, we can set default ships for each level of content). Give us a reason to have a tricked-out Bellerophon or Gladius; give us an Endgame use for them, and we surely will buy more low-level C-store ships.

Endgame T2 ship content would effectively end the Connie/Exeter Retrofit debate.

Otherwise, it's T5 or nothing. That's just how the game was made to work.

Which is why, of course, Klingon ships don't sell even with extra Klingon players; They only have 7 T5 C-Store ships (Introducing the Bortasqu literally doubled the number), as opposed to the Federation's 21.

Even the Johnny-come-lately Romulans have more T5 C-Store ships at 9.

The simple answer, of course, is to give Klingons more T5 ships. Perhaps not as many as Fed, as there are more players in that faction, but 7 is just plain too few; not even all the Klingon ship classes are represented for T5 C-store ships!

Currently, There are 1 Raider, 3 Battle Cruisers (and slow ones at that), 1 Carrier, 1 Destroyer and 1 Science vessel in the C-Store at T5. The lack of a Raptor has been an issue for a long time, and a good place to start for ship No. 8.

Also, only Bird of Prey fans have a retro option from the C-Store. I'm sure people would have also liked (and bought) retrofits of the other cannon ships, the K'Tinga, Vor'Cha and Negh'Var.

The problem though, is that Fleet upgrades of all the lower-tier Klingon ships were made before C-Store upgrades. That was absolutely putting the cart before the horse. Now, instead of upgrading T5 C-Store retrofits to Fleet status, the only place to go is to downgrade fleet ships to T5 C-Store status. It's a bit messy.

EDIT: Forgot the Varanus.
Don't phaze me, bro!

Last edited by trinitycompleted; 10-25-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,482
# 19
10-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Gecko does seem to be way out of what is happening in the game. Cruiser DPS is lacking? seriously? Yes, old cruisers still are old and outdated, new cruisers out DPS escorts, escorts don't need a nerf to their damage, that is an absolutely insane comment to make.

Right now they need to fix the ability for cruisers to DPS 30-40k, its easy to do...
Escorts and cruisers are otherwise both useful, still with an edge to cruisers, manueverability goes to escorts. Sci ships are a slap in the face, balancing the factions needs to happen because there is no reason at all to play KDF.

When your development head talks about bringing the game even more in balance you know they are out to lunch, its been torn apart since S5.
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 650
# 20
10-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicha0 View Post
Gecko does seem to be way out of what is happening in the game. Cruiser DPS is lacking? seriously? Yes, old cruisers still are old and outdated, new cruisers out DPS escorts, escorts don't need a nerf to their damage, that is an absolutely insane comment to make.

Right now they need to fix the ability for cruisers to DPS 30-40k, its easy to do...
Escorts and cruisers are otherwise both useful, still with an edge to cruisers, manueverability goes to escorts. Sci ships are a slap in the face, balancing the factions needs to happen because there is no reason at all to play KDF.

When your development head talks about bringing the game even more in balance you know they are out to lunch, its been torn apart since S5.
Cruisers can compete if under a Tac Captain, there is still a 2nd class status to the engineer captain in a cruiser.

There is a big KDF update coming around the holidays.
PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 PM.