Lt. Commander
# 21
01-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelPaladin
Once you have the scanning upgrade that moves the thing faster, it is not too hard to get a thorough scan of a whole planet. It still is slow and annoying, however. The system should have highlighted areas on the planet to start with, and then have you zero in on them. Or they could have included something like the arrow that shows you the direction to anomalies, only it points to the nearest deposit. It still keeps some player effort involved, but dramatically cuts down on the tedium.

Quite frankly, I would rip Cryptic a new one if I had to go through that minigame for the years of an MMOs lifespan, versus the couple of months I will be playing ME2.
Fair enough. It more illustrates that there are ways to make it interesting. I actually like the way we scan for anomolies now in STO. At least for space. There should be some quick skill based dealie for scanning plaents though. Not as long as ME, but something interesting that let's the player feel involved.

And sorry for all the posts, I'm at work and sneaking them in without compiling answes like i should.
Lt. Commander
I have to admit, when even playing mass effect 1, it felt more "STAR TREK" ISH than any star trek game to date. why? because you have free galactic roam in a condensed to controller format, and you have what is likely the best 3rd person shooter gameplay ever. STO isnt finished (i hope) , which i would take as a hint, the early head start screwup which lasted about1- 2 hours or something (i forgot how long i waited).

anyway, CRYPTIC, P L E A S E DONT CALL IT QUITS ON DEVELOPMENT! THIS IS THE CLOSEST TO A GOOD STARTREK GAME WE HAVE EVER HAD! TAKE SOME TIPS FROM:

ELIITE FORCE 2

AND

STAR TREK LEGACY

AND

BRIDGE COMMANDER!

M A K E T H I S G A M E A LEGEND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudemanjac View Post
This is taken from a conversation I was having on Massively with a guy wh

o made a comment about Mass Effect 2 being more like Star Trek than STO. From the first set of missions, I can't disagree. This is not meant to be a rip on STO. After all I will be buying my preorder tonight when I get home from work. I love the space combat, but we can all agree the ground game is lacking and the missions are the same old missions we've seen forever. I think if we try we can push for cooler better stufdf out of this game, but we need to be vocal and keep the pressure on.

I was thinking while I was spending stupid amounts of time mining the planets in the starter galaxy how this would fit so well for what the STO fans want for exploration.

For those not lucky enough to play ME2, essentially you running a scanner over a planets surface until you see a spike in the meter. Depending on where the spike is, it determines the type of ore you pick up. You use it to upgrade weapons and armor and do research later.

As far as the first mission, you have to fight your way through a couple of areas, but along the way you help a young guy get from under the oppressive thumb of another junk dealer, you pick up some stuff for your team back on the ship, and you rescue a bunch of ppl from a plague.

This is Star Trek... with way cooler guns. But can this be an mmo?
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Yeah I played STO then played ME2 and I was like... "Wow... why isn't this STO... dammit."

Oh well. At least The Old Republic will have better ground combat, quests, and no instancing. Hopefully some space content will also be one of the first things worked on after launch.

And considering ToR is made by the same company that made ME2, yeah, I'm not worried in the slightest. It is going to be awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-29-2010, 07:20 PM
STO is not a FPS thanks bye
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-29-2010, 07:23 PM
I'd like to see them change the exploration sectors into actual sector blocks you have to explore to reveal the sector space map. At first they would look like they do now but the systems would be in set places and persistant rather than spawning along with the anomalies. As everyone explores them, mapping systems and scanning anomalies, the sector maps would be slowly revealed and until the entire sector block was revealed transwarp travel would be restricted(in or out) within the sector block.

They could even give science vessels a bonus in these areas by allowing them to see all the unexplored systems and anomalies in the sector.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalwulff View Post
STO is not a FPS thanks bye
I wish it was. Combat feels so lifeless and boring as is.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-29-2010, 07:24 PM
TBH, it's much easier to make a SINGLE PLAYER game more like Star Trek than an MMO. MMOs these days come with certain expectations, and those don't all fit well into the Trek universe. That said, I still think STO will end up a great game, after 6 months or a year.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotDoug
I wish it was. Combat feels so lifeless and boring as is.

Thats the very definition of an FPSMMO, I dont like them at all. Sure there is some story, from the start, then its all about killing over and over.

Sure there is a lot of combat in STO, but there is far in it that any FPSMMO.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-29-2010, 07:29 PM
What a coinkydink! Neither is ME2. You know, if you don't want to participate in a chance to make the game better, then just mind your business. you look as much a fool as the first guy who said that.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Combat in Mass Effect 2 is pathetic. It's a pop-up shooting gallery where enemies run straight at you or literally pop-up out of cover like a shooting gallery. ME2 is a shooting gallery wrapped up in a B movie Sci-Fi story and characters. "The Illusive Man", "The Illusive Man"??!!! Honestly, most ridiculous character name I have ever heard.

Bioware is getting way too much praise for merely updating game mechanics, systems, and characters that were in KOTOR nearly 10 years ago.