Ensign
# 11
10-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
So Dual beambanks?

Haters gonna hate this build but I have high hopes

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=forwardho_0
3 damage control, 1 marion (you have 2 lobi pieces, you should get a marion next), and 1 of your choosing

Enjoy, you will see a devastating increase to damage.

I recommend going rainbow come season 8. Get the Nukara 100% refracting dual bank and the Romulan experimental beam array.

Have fun, bro
Whats a marion?
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artimus2017 View Post
Whats a marion?
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Marion_Frances_Dulmur

Here we go. All you need to know about this DOff.
Captain
# 13
10-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artimus2017 View Post
Whats a marion?
Marion Francis Dulmer (Marion) is a very rare system engineer duty officer that adds a new effect to direct energy modulation

Directed Energy modulation (dem) comes in 3 different ranks, starting at the Lieutenant slot. It add direct hull damage to your energy weapons.

When augmented by Marion, dem gives you a buff that grants 200% weapon energy resistance for 8 seconds. Essentially allowing you to fire all weapons at 125 weapon power.

Weapon power determines the strength of your energy weapons...

At 50 weapon power, your weapon does 100% damage

At 100 weapon power, your weapon does 200% damage

At 125 weapon power, your weapon does 250% damage.

An example of the awesomeness of marion is as follows...

Say you fire 8 weapons, each drain is 10. The first will be at 250%, but final shot will be 250%-140%(7x10x2)=110%.

It is 140%, instead of 160% due to the final shot being fired before the final drain happens

And remember, your weapon drain is affecting each subsequent shot.

The data is skewed due to weapon overcapping, but you can see what marion can do for those 8 op seconds
Chive on and prosper

Anarchy Nexus recruitment thread

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Captain
# 14
10-25-2013, 11:46 AM
For the second time Marion is an unnecessary expenditure on a ship that can carry EPtW3 at full uptime and the weapon efficiency aura at full uptime.

7 beams + the KCB generate a drain of 62.4 weapons power using the 20% efficiency bonus aura (Cryptic's math turns 25% into 20%, don't ask).

EPtW3 with even a modest skill point investment in Starship EPS will net you ~40 weapons power. A plasmonic leech with modest skill point investment in flow caps +/- any flow cap increasing gear can very, very easily account for the remaining ~20 power.

And that's all before the power boosts from Aux2Bat, EPS manifold efficiency, warp core doffs, OWA, etc.

Simply put, dropping tens of millions of credits on a doff like Marion in the PvE realm is entirely, and utterly, unnecessary for the Avenger.
Captain
# 15
10-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Marion is amazing, those that use marion know it's amazing. If you want mediocrity, that's your choice. But marion is part of optimized builds and for good reason.
Chive on and prosper

Anarchy Nexus recruitment thread

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Captain
# 16
10-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
Marion is amazing, those that use marion know it's amazing. If you want mediocrity, that's your choice. But marion is part of optimized builds and for good reason.
Please continue to advocate for an absolutely unnecessary expense with zero evidence to back up the notion that said expense is actually needed in this instance. The Avenger (and frankly every Cmd/Lt engineer based cruiser) is more than capable of fully negating it's own drain without the use of Marion now that Comm arrays are universal. Which means you're telling people to spend tens of millions of credits on a doff that will effectively do next to nothing on an optimized build in this ship.

For ships and builds that cannot manage the level of weapon power overcapping that cruisers can, Marion is significantly more desirable. He has a place, and I'm well aware of the kind of impact he can have when applied correctly. A cruiser carrying 100% uptime of EPtW3 isn't one of them.

Last edited by stirling191; 10-25-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Career Officer
# 17
10-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Please continue to advocate for an absolutely unnecessary expense with zero evidence to back up the notion that said expense is actually needed in this instance. The Avenger (and frankly every Cmd/Lt engineer based cruiser) is more than capable of fully negating it's own drain without the use of Marion now that Comm arrays are universal. Which means you're telling people to spend tens of millions of credits on a doff that will effectively do next to nothing on an optimized build in this ship.

For ships and builds that cannot manage the level of weapon power overcapping that cruisers can, Marion is significantly more desirable. He has a place, and I'm well aware of the kind of impact he can have when applied correctly. A cruiser carrying 100% uptime of EPtW3 isn't one of them.
or u can grind for marion...thats how I got mine, and how I make money on exchange...lol

assuming the new tac consoles will give greater bonuses to beams than an individual weapon type, then rainbow boats wont be too bad with all the rep grinding ppl can do for more specialized beams n such.
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
10-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Commander
# 19
10-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Focus!!! Your all over the place! Get back to back the classics, go beam boat, go all tetrion, go A2B. Focus!!
Career Officer
# 20
10-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty happy with the setup except I did make a few mods:

1) Replaces TS1 with BFAW1
2) I stored the MK XII Enhanced RCS console, moved the Tachkyokinetic Converter to its place, then got the MK XII Romulan Flow Capacitor [HuH] [-Th] out of storage to put it in the sci slot
3) I switched back to the Adapted MACO Deflector for more flow capacitor points

I may respec to move 3 points away from the Gravitor Generator skills to Flow Capacitors to make the Plasmonic Leech work better than it does now. Just not sure how to maneuver the skill points around...
~My current ship and build~

Last edited by coffeemike; 10-29-2013 at 08:44 AM.