Lt. Commander
I bring this up as the fleet I am in has several members with varying degrees of color blindness.

Right now, it is pretty much impossible for them to have any idea what the colors are on some of the palettes.

Some of them have taken to taking screenshots, loading them into Photoshop, and them sampling the areas of the palette to get RBG codes for the colors and then comparing those against listings they find online to try and figure out, for example, where exactly the 'red' colors are on the palette.

This is made even more confusing as you go from race to race and the palettes of allowed colors vary and shift from selection box to selection box.

A tooltip when you mouse over the palette, or at the very least having it show the name of the color somewhere after it has been selected, would go a long way towards improving the play experience for the color blind members of your audience.

Given how big a deal character customization and being able to make exactly the character you want is for games developmed by Cryptic, this would be a minor improvement that would help some of your players know for certain that the red-headed Human Sci officer they've always wanted to play in a ST game doesn't turn out to have turquise green hair instead.

Thanks in advance.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm not color-blind but I'm all for usability features and I'm surprised this one has been overlooked.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Until tooltips arrive in-game, STO-Intel is putting togethor some color palette guides to try to help make it clear what color is actually what.

These pages are still very rough in design, and so far only a Starfleet Uniform guide and a Human Palette guide has made it up online.

It takes a while to put these pages togethor and, honestly, playing the game is much more fun then trying to come up with another word to describe "these are colors that aren't purple and aren't pink but are some unholy mix in-between".

But hopefully we'll get most of the palettes covered over the next week or so.

If you notice we have missed a palette, or have a better description of what colors are in a row on a palette, please comment over on the STO-Intel forums so we can get it fixed.

Thanks in advance and I really hope that palette tooltips make it in-game soon so these wiki pages become unneeded.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2010, 09:44 PM
I havent seen a worse palette since SWG.. there you had to choose "dark brown" if you wanted red...