Career Officer
# 21
10-25-2013, 09:33 PM
I was running around in the zone on Tribble with a newly 50 Romulan, with very weak gear, and a randomly picked Satra, of all BOffs. The enemies didn't seem very difficult to me. I was killing a lot of them solo.

But I'm not fond of cooperative objectives in such a large area. I spend my time running around hoping that I'm doing something vaguely useful, and wondering if we'll make progress in completing the objectives in a reasonable amount of time. I greatly prefer the episodes.
Captain
# 22
10-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Would you guys agree that such an epic battle should not be a cake walk? Perhaps Cryptic should increase the difficulty(I think they will) before it is released.

Visit my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Akurie369?feature=watch
Captain
# 23
11-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffie369 View Post
Would you guys agree that such an epic battle should not be a cake walk? Perhaps Cryptic should increase the difficulty(I think they will) before it is released.
Or add a elite version of the zone.

Career Officer
# 24
11-04-2013, 02:45 PM
have not really had the option of upgrading gear to insane amounts like adapted maco and various abilities for boffs, still have some crap still being used from the pre season 4 days like a borg medical kit and a few anti proton mk x sniper rifles. this is mostly because to me the rep system i never liked to do at all and doing it with all the characters, all 14 of them will take an age and a awful lot of resources to get to that point.

some people as shown on this thread are using kits that are significantly higher then most average players can reach, not everyone is a hardcore type so what you may find ridiculously easy someone else may find a lot more difficult to accomplish. all i will say is that the clear act of gloating has worked as intended by the OP, but i fail to care about it.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Captain
# 25
11-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
all i will say is that the clear act of gloating has worked as intended by the OP, but i fail to care about it.
I put a lot of thought into my team and made some very good points on how to buff your 3 man team up and profit from your active duty doffs by creating a mini-me for your team. I do not consider what I did as gloating. MK X Omega Reputation gear will offer you the same buffs and costs little.

Last edited by mcduffie369; 11-04-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Career Officer
# 26
11-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Quote:
I mentioned this on tribble, and I'll redo it here. The problem that all of STO has (and not just this) is that this is supposed to be end game content for any and all that reach VA. That means new characters (and more importantly new players) that don't have the EC or have had the time with the rep system yet to twink out their characters will find it difficult but not impossible

But the unfortunate side effect of powercreep is, those of us with full rep systems, purple gear, billions and billions of EC worth of stuff will find this stuff a cakewalk.

So it's now down to balance. Most MMOs will balance around the casual player that doesn't have a ton of the grind completed, because quite honestly, that's where the money is. Those of us with a slightly better grasp of the mechanics and more time invested with better gear sure we'll find it easier, but we're actually a minority. They can't balance this content or any content around us, without alienating their prime money people, and then the game closes.

So you ask should the content be harder. No. Would I personally like it harder... yes. But should it be harder... no.
Career Officer
# 27
11-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Or add a elite version of the zone.
I could see Elite versions of all zones with higher mark rewards.
Career Officer
# 28
11-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I could see Elite versions of all zones with higher mark rewards.
If they do that, they NEED to gate it, or else we'll have the exact same issue we have no with so called elite STFs, where everyone and their mother decides to go in there with horrible ships and gear, no idea how to actually play, and enough injuries to make their ships look like derilects, and then everyone coming here to complain about it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 29
11-04-2013, 06:48 PM
My team is ready. Full Mk12 gear on all of them. Lets just hope the zone can stay working long enough for me to pew pew them...

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) - I only play one char now, such is the state of the game..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsune424 View Post
Here is your ticket to the USS Stupidity, Third class, four tacks on the chair, rules state you MUST sit on the chair, no standing, or hovering above the tacks, thank you have a nice day
Career Officer
# 30
11-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymyajha View Post
If they do that, they NEED to gate it, or else we'll have the exact same issue we have no with so called elite STFs, where everyone and their mother decides to go in there with horrible ships and gear, no idea how to actually play, and enough injuries to make their ships look like derilects, and then everyone coming here to complain about it.
Yeah. 'Course the flipside is it might make the zones sparse.

Personally, I am a fan of LIGHT attunements for endgame dungeons in MMOs anyway.

Not "Do this list of 20 herculean feats" but more "pass a tutorial with little frustration of dying but which teaches you concepts like aggro, tanking, gear, etc" and which won't pass you until you meet all of the tests.

Like... A targeting dummy which requires you do like 3k DPS damage against it, which regenerates every X seconds and which autoregenerates if hit with more than one energy type. And maybe it sends out a pulse that autokills anything with a turnrate above 8 that attacks while stationary.

Things like full on healing/teamwork are not necessary even in Elites (space anyway). But the above test would be enough for space.

As for ground, the optionals in everything but KA and The Cure are obnoxious, especially infected. The text boxes need to go away. And the storyline needs to be something people can read on their own at a starbase.

An optional that requires a guide is a bad optional. Tripwires are obnoxious. Favoring certain weapon types over others is obnoxious. These things have nothing to do with playing well in the moment.

I think raid mechanics should be fairly obvious to someone who has never played a video game before. Now, playing well should involve some experience and skill but by and large it should involve skill at running, jumping, shooting/slicing, reviving, and using a kit. The cure is a bit technical but is, ultimately, fine, because it does teach you the basic mechanics needed before it lets you fight.

Infected was designed under the asinine idea that raiding isn't for PuGs. I think better groups should do better. But they made the first STF the most annoying one. That one needs to be stripped down because it turns people against ground STFs and ground in general.

It doesn't bug me that Into the Hive is a bit tricky. Because it's the last in a series. It involves fighting the Borg Queen. Let it be tricky.

But Infected is just a source of aggravation for anything BUT a premade and even for some of them if any one player goes off script... and the script requires external documentation or tribal knowledge.

It just about single handedly killed ground raiding in STO.

The way these things work, you need a good 3-6 semi easy dungeons to sell people on the IDEA of teaming before you try stuff like that.

And Infected Ground even on non-Elite is a PuG killer.