Lt. Commander
# 101
01-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibiruman View Post
This game is as ready as any MMO has ever been at launch. I'm wondering if this is your first MMO. You sound like you don't know what you're talking about.
This.

I have seen a lot worse, especially at launch. Take WAR for example, launch day was a nightmare, servers were down or restarted most of the time, a lot of bugs from beta were not fixed and were still present at launch, major issues still present weeks later, I could go on. This was but one, I have played many others, and frankly most of these did not have a smooth a launch as STO. Yes, it has it's problems, but if you think these are in any way unique to this game, then you need to play a few more MMOs.

Stability has been good, considering the ridiculous number of people present in-game. A lot of beta bugs have been squashed, the only thing I've really noticed is some occasional server lag and rubber banding, the worst of which appears to be on the station. This can probably be attributed to the population, and I'm sure Cryptic will deal with it over the coming days.

All in all, there is nothing to create a fuss about. If you think this was the end of the world, you have not seen many launches, and certainly no betas. I'm actually quite impressed, I had my doubts about launch day, but Cryptic have managed it very well.
Lt. Commander
# 102
01-30-2010, 04:40 AM
the STO directory for your steam installation would be */program files/steam/steamapps/common/star trek online or something similar to that.

It opens the game without steam in the background.
Lt. Commander
# 103
01-30-2010, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSZenica
I figured I'd try this on the HP...

I do not believe it is possible. I checked for the STO directory, I have none. The game seems embedded
in the Steam folder in such a way to keep me from accessing it directly. The shortcut that Steam placed
on the desktop to launch the Login portal is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Admin Basic\My Games\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 9910"
where you need to is based on the above Directory is:

C:\program files (x86)\admin basic\my games\steam\\steamapps\common\star trek online

in that directory is the exe you need to run "Star Trek Online.exe"

the other thing you could do is go to cryptic's site and d/l to a separate direcotry. Once your key has been entered, you don't have to go thru steam to play the game. This is what I'm doing, since I got a beta key and had the game installed before I bought the game from steam to get my pre-order/retail key
Lt. Commander
# 104
01-30-2010, 05:05 AM
These are the type of people that still believe that WoW is in its Beta stage.. don't pay attention to them.

Fact of the matter is, an MMO is a lot different to any other genre of game. Things are always changing, always getting rebalanced, etc. It comes with the territory.

Anyone that uses this kind of argument is obviously new to MMOs.

There can never be a truly 'finished' MMO, so stop complaining that you are paying to play a Beta. You want a finished game, go play Final Fantasy or something, and leave this game to us adults.
Lt. Commander
# 105
01-30-2010, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liko
I have played STO without any crashes or other problems. only a minor lag, so i am going to tell everyone i know totally the opposite of what you wrote.

Oh and played hours 4, not a single disconnect.
No disconnects, no lags here either.

And the ground combat is solid, with the flanking and such, and ship combat also seems pretty good. There is of coarse more they can fill out over time, but I am impressed with the game.

although there are things I have not figured out or used yet like kits and such, but the concept seems to be sound and workable.
Lt. Commander
# 106
01-30-2010, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSZenica
This game is still beta and we prepaid in advance some 6 months for the exclusive right to play in this
beta phase. Those on the monthly sub can cancel the paid beta with no loss, those of us with the Lifetime
subscription are stuck. We paid to play in this continued beta so we may as well. I just need to change
the way I look at this so as to not keep getting annoyed.

From here on out, when someone *itches about the game, I'm going to tell him/her the truth. This game
is still in beta testing and they paid for and agreed to test the product for Cryptic.

Now with that said, I just ask that Cryptic address the myriad of bug reports and work towards making
the game stable enough for a retail release. I won't bother asking for a date as that is like disproving a negative...something that cannot be done anymore than they can give a date this game will be ready for retail.
here is another plain truth: grow up.
Lt. Commander
# 107
01-30-2010, 05:12 AM
I have had NO issues, pulling 68 fps consistently and the low point of that was 60 fps during the Borg invasion of the Earth Spacedock. I logged in successfully 2 minutes after the kick off on Friday. I've got my Liberated Borg, extra character slots and have had no disconnect issues. As mentioned, is it your computer? ISP bandwidth issues? All your drivers updated?

I'm not saying by all means this is perfect, however my interaction has been virtually flawless.
Lt. Commander
# 108
01-30-2010, 05:19 AM
I played for about 5hours now in the head-start. Not a single disconnect.
So my experience is quite opposite.
Lt. Commander
# 109
01-30-2010, 05:22 AM
Why its stupid to pay lifetime sub for a game you havent played nor tested out first BETA doesnt count as testing to me, atleast a month or 2 of real life game play after launch will determine if i stay or not. If game has potential and devs offer content, fixes, patches, and everything else ill stay.

But to pay for a game not released yet, and 2 days after close of open beta.............. nah to much risk and what-if's. I think STO will do well within 6 months personaly. And be on track to make a great mmo. But ive said that about other games that went to never never land.

If after a few months, and i see major contribution by cryptic and tons of content added, i will then buy a sub, that extra 50$ would be worth it then and not wasted on a what-if.
Lt. Commander
# 110
01-30-2010, 05:23 AM
And i havent had one disconnect either, we are in middle of winter storm and still doing fine. Been logged in since maint, and still no issues. Maybe its your connection?