Lt. Commander
I need someone else to confirm this.

Here's the set-up:

I have a map where I want the player to talk with an enemy, fight the enemy, talk with another enemy, fight that enemy, etc.

In my story-line view I have the following:
  • Pop-up dialog (1)
  • Kill enemies task
  • Pop-up dialog (2)
  • Kill enemies task
  • Pop-up dialog (3)
  • Kill enemies task
  • Pop-up dialog (4)
  • Kill enemies task

With dialogs 2-4 I get the behavior I would expect: I can have the dialog up for as long as it takes to read it (or go to the restroom) and the enemies spawn as soon as the dialog ends.

But with dialog 1, the enemies (who have a patrol path, but all of the enemies of this map do) spawn immediately and are attacking the player before they have read through the dialogue.

My intent for putting the pop-ups in the story line was to get the behavior I see with 2-4, where the player has a chance to read everything before engaging the enemy.

Is this a known issue?

This behavior can be seen in the KDF mission "The Sins of the Fathers" on the second custom map "Qo'noS System".
Career Officer
# 2
11-02-2013, 11:02 AM
This is a wild guess but it may be because the first objective always shows up (which is to kill the npc group) The other ones wait until the pop up dialogue is complete before being "in progress"

What I did in "The Great Escape" is have an invisible wall between the player adn the npcs. Then have the first pop up dialogue be a Map pop up dialogue and hook the visible->invisible trigger for the invisible wall to be component complete on that pop up dialogue.

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Cryptic Studios Team
# 3
11-02-2013, 11:25 AM
I'll look into this, but in the meantime Zorbane's workaround should do the job for you.
Career Officer
# 4
11-02-2013, 11:55 AM
go away frost it's the weekend

Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
go away frost it's the weekend
I think zorby intended "enjoy your free time and stop working".

And thanks for the suggestion. That should accomplish the goal.
Captain
# 6
11-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
hook the visible->invisible trigger for the invisible wall to be component complete on that pop up dialogue.
You can do that?
Capt. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Career Officer
# 7
11-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
You can do that?
Yup dialogue pop ups can be used as component complete triggers. They get fired when the success flag is met.

Starfleet Veteran
# 8
11-06-2013, 09:16 AM
This problem even exists in Cryptic maps. The last mission in the Romulan chain, where you fight Hakeev... When the mission starts, everyone starts fighting and Obisek's pop up dialogue will be interrupted by combat almost immediatelity.