Captain
# 11
10-27-2013, 10:46 PM
I concur with the single hardpoint issues, The rear firing i have no clur what to dor with.

But the fore does it all really have to fire from the same spot on either side?

If you are flying forward 3 points in the fore could shoot, if broadsiding the for could be spaced instead of firing from the same spot in 3 directions...
Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
Ensign
# 12
10-29-2013, 09:29 AM
I like the ability of firing 3 different weapons
With a Phaser or Lightsaber it doesnt matter to me
Ensign
# 13
11-03-2013, 05:37 AM
Beams need three things.

The first is more range (on ST Beams had more range than cannons that are very powerfull weapons but with short range even very short range).

Accuracy: the big improve on Fed ships are the beam array with lots of firepoints that pick the best of them to shoot at enemy vessels. (the old "turret" phaser banks are have great fire solutions but too inferior to array banks).

Also beam arrays have another good thing: they are more dificult to disable. Even when they take any hit, you just another part of the array with very similar firesolution at few meters. Only if you destroy the power supply lines, or damage nearly all array you can disable it.

For that, old cruisers with old turrets bank must gain accuracy if they are compare with cannons. And Beam array from "new" ships need gain a lot of accuracy. Cannons hardpoints are too efective has efective is the ship to place in the correct point to shoot.

Cannons are the "sacred blades" of STO.
Captain
# 14
11-03-2013, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevmrage View Post
I understand where OP is coming from. I think Fed ships could really use a beam hardpoint revision. Instead of three or four beams spewing from one spot, why not have the same number fire off from other physical arrays on the ship? Using the Galaxy for an example, you can theoretically fire at least three different beam on a target from three different points, depending on the angle. Pylon arrays, Nacelle arrays, and Hull arrays, along with whatever is on the saucer.

That's what I'd like to see.
I like this idea, especially if there was a wider spread of them around the hull, as it is there are only two or three phaser ports to the aft of the game's Excelsior model while there are 6 or so to the fore. which simply isn't sensible when you have 4 weapons slots on both ends of the ship and no beam weapon system cooldown it makes sense to have 4 ports on each end of the ship for beams while keeping the twin torp ports as they have system reload cooldown built in.
Captain
# 15
11-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberjac View Post
The first is more range (on ST Beams had more range than cannons that are very powerfull weapons but with short range even very short range).
Arrays have higher effective range in STO courtesy of the damage falloff equations, with the difference being primarily noticeable at distances greater than 5km.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberjac View Post
Accuracy: the big improve on Fed ships are the beam array with lots of firepoints that pick the best of them to shoot at enemy vessels. (the old "turret" phaser banks are have great fire solutions but too inferior to array banks).
The Nukara Particle Converter gives additional accuracy to beams alone.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Agree on Ship Mesh Hardpoints. They make no sense as they are now. The only ships I've noticed where the beam comes out of the actual models beam array is the Galaxy, and Nebula. Even the Vesta saucers have what looks like a beam array but the beams get shot out the edges of the saucer.

Or the Borg Cutting Beam shooting out of the bridge.

Please Cryptic fix the ship hardpoints to actually coincide with the ships mesh locations.

But all who post here know it's a dream...
Commander
# 17
11-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmox64 View Post
Agree on Ship Mesh Hardpoints. They make no sense as they are now. The only ships I've noticed where the beam comes out of the actual models beam array is the Galaxy, and Nebula. Even the Vesta saucers have what looks like a beam array but the beams get shot out the edges of the saucer.

Or the Borg Cutting Beam shooting out of the bridge.

Please Cryptic fix the ship hardpoints to actually coincide with the ships mesh locations.

But all who post here know it's a dream...
don't forget the avenger their weapons acctually fire out of the visible hardpoints as for the obelisk well that ship could have hardpoints all over i mean the torps fire from the sides lol
Career Officer
# 18
11-05-2013, 10:45 AM
The Avenger was well done and visually beautiful firing a full broadside of beams from multiple hardpoints on the saucer and secondary hull.

Yes previous ships need reworking especially the Odyssey.
Career Officer
# 19
11-05-2013, 10:27 PM
for canon weapons, wouldn't mind seeing TOS ship phasers changed from array to banks, as it prolly wasn't till the Galaxy class that arrays were deployed
WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
either to conquer or to die for the Empire
Captain
# 20
11-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmonger360 View Post
for canon weapons, wouldn't mind seeing TOS ship phasers changed from array to banks, as it prolly wasn't till the Galaxy class that arrays were deployed
I agree. The Ambassador was the first ship to employ actual beam arrays and was a quantum leap in Starfleet's ship design, before all ships were limited to single emitters or double beam banks. I really would like weapon hardpoint to reflect that, although I think that Starleets old hulls (Miranda, Constellation, Constitution, Excelsior) could be refit to a certain degree. The Saucer sections of those hulls (except the Excelsior) have been seen on-screen to have small arrays placed on the ventral "tip" of the saucer. But otherwise, actual emitter hardpoints would be great.

Generally speking, again, all ships need a overhaul in that regard. I recently discovered that the Nebula fires aft weapons (KCB, ODAP, turrets) from THE BRIDGE. Seriously, the beam is emitted from the friggin BRIDGE. Why!?
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh