Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
01-30-2010, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Let's see... You joined in September of 2009. Which means that you have been subject to enough descriptive material of what the game plays like to know what the game IS, but rather than accepting it, you chose to continue to lean on your personal EXPECTATION based on what you think the game OUGHT to be. What I saw in open beta was exactly what was described by everyone who was able to report on what the gameplay is like from closed beta and press snippets before.

Now if you didn't bother to follow this game prior to today with any seriousness, then you have only yourself to blame. And no, I'm not just being a Cryptic fanboy. There have been enough reports on how the gameplay was going to actually be to make an informed decision for several months now. Not bothering to research the product before buying is a failing of the customer, not Cryptic.

Take responsibility for your own choice of ignorance rather than blaming others because you willingly ignored the facts as they have been reported...
Ahh the self important arrogance of some.. feel better now?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
01-30-2010, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phage
Ahh the self important arrogance of some.. feel better now?
I do! Thanks for asking!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
01-30-2010, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phage
Ahh the self important arrogance of some.. feel better now?
The OP joined the forums in September of '09. There has been abundant reports on what the gameplay is like between then and now, form the gaming press who got to try it out to the closed beta testers who had the NDA lifted for them to talk about their experience to the Open Beta players all freely talking about it.

It is not arrogance or self-importance to point out the fact that had the OP simpley taken advantage of the resources available between then and now, he would have known what he was about to be getting into. If anyone was being self-importantly arrogant here, it was the OP for expecting STO to conform to his idea of what it ought to be.

I was going down that road for a time, and when I realized the futility of it, I simply accepted that STO was going to be whatever Cryptic wanted it to be, no matter what I expected it to be, and that I would either like it and subscribe, or dislike it and pass it over.

Well, personally speakling, I like the potential behind what I see. And what Cryptic has announced in terms of what lies ahead plays right into that potential. So for now, I will be content to just play the game and leave development to Cryptic...

Can STO stand to be improved greatly? Absolutely. So can every MMO when it first launches. Will it improve greatly over time? I think so. But who can really tell... It depends greatly on the quality of what Cryptic adds to the game with each content release, and how frequent those releases are.

But the game, as it is now, is exactly what it has been described as being.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
01-30-2010, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
The OP joined the forums in September of '09. There has been abundant reports on what the gameplay is like between then and now, form the gaming press who got to try it out to the closed beta testers who had the NDA lifted for them to talk about their experience to the Open Beta players all freely talking about it.

It is not arrogance or self-importance to point out the fact that had the OP simpley taken advantage of the resources available between then and now, he would have known what he was about to be getting into. If anyone was being self-importantly arrogant here, it was the OP for expecting STO to conform to his idea of what it ought to be.
While I agree with your point, you make the fatal assumption that most people are both intelligent and pro-active. This is clearly false as the majority of the population could be described as exactly the opposite. This is why we have labels for informing people that using a high current electric hair drier in the shower is a generally bad idea.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
01-30-2010, 03:52 AM
Guys, I hate to be the one to reveal this to you, but Cryptic didn't make this game just for you.

They made it as it is for people who'll like this kind of game. I, for one, love it. Why make another Eve?... We already have Eve!...

It would be like me going on to some 'Cooking With Mama' forums and saying how terrible it is. Sure, I think it's rubbish, but they didn't make it for me...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
01-30-2010, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFade
While I agree with your point, you make the fatal assumption that most people are both intelligent and pro-active. This is clearly false as the majority of the population could be described as exactly the opposite. This is why we have labels for informing people that using a high current electric hair drier in the shower is a generally bad idea.
I make no assumptions about people's intelligence or pro-activeness... Stupidity, like ignorance, is no excuse. Why join a forum several four months out from launch if you have no intention of actually following the game's development and read the feedback of those who had seen it first-hand? Had his join date been today, or even yesterday, I would not have said a word. Just like I am not going to say a word on the 2nd to the real masses who will start pouring into this community and start screaming that the game doesn't give them what they expect in terms of it letting them experience Star Trek in the way it has been presented on TV and the big screen for over 40 years now.

For as many people as have been following this game's development since it was taken on by Cryptic, there are hundreds if not thousands more who will not have. And they will be far more rabid and far less forgiving than any of us pre-launch members. many of them will take one look at the game and uninstall it, never even giving it a chance.

Why? Because this isn't really a Star Trek MMO.... It's just an MMO with the Star Trek name slapped on the label, which I warned Cryptic will not be good enough to capture the masses who have yet to come. They will be justified in their reactions because they will not have had the facts laid out for them in advance the way the OP did before making his rant.

The game is what it is. Those who can accept that will enjoy it. Those who cannot won't. But in order to accept something, you have to be willing to know what it is. The OP had ample opportunity to find out, but chose not to. So I have no sympathy for him.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
01-30-2010, 04:12 AM
Whilst i agree with you dude, you really need to lighten up a bit the other guys post was agreeing with you and then making a joke
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
01-30-2010, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divitiacus
i waited all this time for this?!?!?!?!

first and foremost i play stuff like this for the space game, and whats this? instanced space zones (small at that) freelancer/jumpgate/EVE is the space gameplay i was expecting... here we are doing space "levels" instead................ where is the free roaming space play i EXPECTED star trek to be?!??!?!
Freelancer / Jumpgate = Space Simulator != Star Trek Online....fail!

............................................______ __
....................................,.-...................``~.,
.............................,.-...................................-.,
.........................,/...............................................:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....~,_........~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......=,_.......-,_.......,.-~-,},.~;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......=-._......;,,./`..../............../
...,,,___.\`~,......~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
01-30-2010, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunstan
Whilst i agree with you dude, you really need to lighten up a bit the other guys post was agreeing with you and then making a joke
Sometimes my humor is a bit too dry...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
01-30-2010, 04:25 AM
this game is more about the fun game mechanics and not about running around in 10,000 big empty boxes.

Now, Eve is a better game. More complex, detailed, polished, massive... BUT, Star Trek online is the more enjoyable game.

PvE in EVE is the most boring, easy, craptasic waste of time i have ever seen. PVP is fun because of the politics and death penalty, but the craptastic gameplay shows itself in the boring PVE.

At the end of the day, I prefer the better gameplay mechanics. When you find challenging PVE content, or doing some PVP in STO, its just way more fun then EVE.

If you disagree with me, i'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll grow to love STO or find happiness back in EVE.

Take care, and may Q harass you endlessly.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 AM.