Lt. Commander
# 41
01-30-2010, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFade
Sometimes my humor is a bit too dry...
Plus, I'm going on only four hours of sleep... I have a pinched nerve in my back, and while the medicine perscribed by my doctor helps, when it starts to wear off, the pain won't let me find a comfortable position to lay in. so sleep is very difficult until this gets resolved.

And when I don't get rest, I get cranky.

My apologies if it makes me seem like a jerk.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-30-2010, 04:33 AM
I take instance playing over having to wait to kill a single mob because 1.000.000 other players are on the same damn quest at the same damn time.
I wish I could drive to work instanced. NO TRAFFIC JAMS FTW!!
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-30-2010, 04:34 AM
No worries dude,that sounds quite bad dude i hope your back gets better soon, well at least you have STO to take your mind off it, well when it comes back up anyhow
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-30-2010, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Plus, I'm going on only four hours of sleep... I have a pinched nerve in my back, and while the medicine perscribed by my doctor helps, when it starts to wear off, the pain won't let me find a comfortable position to lay in. so sleep is very difficult until this gets resolved.

And when I don't get rest, I get cranky.

My apologies if it makes me seem like a jerk.
No worries. One learns to wear a thick skin when participating in MMO forums.

Edit:

Quote:
No worries dude...
Are you my evil twin or something?
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-30-2010, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcane View Post
A hint to the two claiming EvE has instances.
To boil it down: an instance is a private map. Only yourself and those you invite in can be inside. So eve has no instances.

I'm sincerely glad not everyone's retarded here after reading your post. Improper use of terms are so annoying. Like the Klingon who told me my team was "Turtling" because three of us were MES'ed, and only two were visible, despite we were all trying to find them. They were the ones who were ALL cloaked, and invisible to us. So how the **** is that turtling?. Gawd, now I'm angry again. Makes you wish you could just punch people like that in the throat right through your monitor.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-30-2010, 04:42 AM
Personally, I prefer group-wide instancing copies for missions, because as others point out you are not subject to having to camping every single mob for hours on end just to complete one single quest. Been there, done that, not very fun.

However, I DO think that:
  • Sector space is too small. It should be 50% bigger.
  • There doesn't seem to be many systems.
  • The system space is too small. More planets that you can get to via full impulse within the system would be better (tho technically may not be possible due to the limit on instance sizes I dont know).
  • When you want to warp out, then your ship should maneouvre into a specific direction, not just warp through planets because it happens to be facing that way.

If the ships had to face towards a particular direction in order to warp, then it would also help with the disjointed warp animations that occur whereby your ship warps out too soon, leaving a carbon copy going through the animation of BEGINNING to warp.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-30-2010, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divitiacus
i waited all this time for this?!?!?!?!

first and foremost i play stuff like this for the space game, and whats this? instanced space zones (small at that) freelancer/jumpgate/EVE is the space gameplay i was expecting... here we are doing space "levels" instead................ where is the free roaming space play i EXPECTED star trek to be?!??!?!
Freelancer was a fab space game, and to would love another space game like that within an MMO enviroment.
But ST is definatly a fun game, once get your new ship the game sems to take on a new life, well did for me in beta and am looking forward to exploring the game and developing my charactrer even more so then did then.

Stick with it , it will grow on ya

Lt. Commander
# 48
01-30-2010, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divitiacus
i waited all this time for this?!?!?!?!

first and foremost i play stuff like this for the space game, and whats this? instanced space zones (small at that) freelancer/jumpgate/EVE is the space gameplay i was expecting... here we are doing space "levels" instead................ where is the free roaming space play i EXPECTED star trek to be?!??!?!
Hey, here's a novel Idea, if you want freeform space play like EVE, then go play EVE.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-30-2010, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullforged View Post
Eve has a ludicrous amount of instancing, every single system is separate, every roid field is separate and missions send you into a part of space you have to search for with probes, I don't see how you think that is any more open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnsignKoala
I was wondering when someone is going to point this out.

So many people compare EVEO with STO and say "how good is EVE because of it's 'opennes' and no instancing" but the quoted poster is absolutely right, even though EVEO instances load a bit faster when you jump to a new system, they are still just instances.
Well, EVE isn't instanced in the manner that STO is. Everyone is always in the same place if they are at the same place. Each system is like an instance but there is only one of it.

On top of that, the planets are all realistically sized with realistically huge distances, on the order of hundreds of thousands of kilometers between a moon and it's planet and AUs for between planets and their star, between them.

While you couldn't fly in space from one star system to the next, which at EVE warp speeds would still take years or months to do if you could, you could fly from one end of a star system to the other end at normal non-warp speeds, but it would probably take years or months to do.

Even the probed out places and enemy bases and the like are still within the same "instance" as the rest of the system.

Well, my point is, you both don't seem to understand what an instance really is. An instance is a copy essentially; one of a multitude of the same place with different people inside. So, if you go to Star System A and there are Star System A #1, #2, #3, etc. then those are instances of Star System A. However, if you go to Star System A, and there is only Star System A, and there will ever be only Star System A, then it's not an instance. By your logic, if you have a single large, seamless, open map which stretches from one end of he universe to the other with no copies of that map, then the entire thing is an instance.
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-30-2010, 05:11 AM
I played EVE online for several years on and off. Sure, it's more "massive" and you "can" get up to 1k-2k people in one fight.

It's too bad that never, ever worked out right. Fights with 1-2k people were slide shows, often dominated by lag and titans. They sacrificed functionality for the vision, and in the end, it did not work at all. And if you think EVE has a unique and expansive universe, well lol. You obviously never had to go through a 60 moon system probing every single moon, nor did you have to go through a system looking for enemy POSes.

And my god, POSes. Seriously? POSes alone are enough to make me want to never go through EVE again. I am so tired of sitting around with 50-150 battleships in a RR ball slowly chipping away at the health of a POS. Always having to be within viewing distance of my monitor, and in some cases, punished if I am not. I got to sit around for 1-2 hours watching a POS slowly die while watching Family guy or something trying not to be bored out of my mind.

Yeah thanks i'll stick with my 5 v 5 space fights. They may not be the awesomest most unique and expansive things in the world, but they can be fun and challenging, quite unlike getting doomsdayed by a bored titan pilot.