Lt. Commander
# 51
01-30-2010, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LrdPhoenix View Post
Well, EVE isn't instanced in the manner that STO is. Everyone is always in the same place if they are at the same place. Each system is like an instance but there is only one of it.

On top of that, the planets are all realistically sized with realistically huge distances, on the order of hundreds of thousands of kilometers between a moon and it's planet and AUs for between planets and their star, between them.

While you couldn't fly in space from one star system to the next, which at EVE warp speeds would still take years or months to do if you could, you could fly from one end of a star system to the other end at normal non-warp speeds, but it would probably take years or months to do.

Even the probed out places and enemy bases and the like are still within the same "instance" as the rest of the system.

Well, my point is, you both don't seem to understand what an instance really is. An instance is a copy essentially; one of a multitude of the same place with different people inside. So, if you go to Star System A and there are Star System A #1, #2, #3, etc. then those are instances of Star System A. However, if you go to Star System A, and there is only Star System A, and there will ever be only Star System A, then it's not an instance. By your logic, if you have a single large, seamless, open map which stretches from one end of he universe to the other with no copies of that map, then the entire thing is an instance.
It pretty well is instanced, though. The only difference is that there is no loading screen between places in EVE, but that's just because all you had to load was usually a giant 3d planet, a space station and some ships. Maybe some roids too. Or a gate!

That and no one can freely enter your instance. Including hostiles.

Can we please be allowed to enter your instance at will? As a primarily kling player i'd like that. I'd like that a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 52
01-30-2010, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Plus, I'm going on only four hours of sleep... I have a pinched nerve in my back, and while the medicine perscribed by my doctor helps, when it starts to wear off, the pain won't let me find a comfortable position to lay in. so sleep is very difficult until this gets resolved.

And when I don't get rest, I get cranky.

My apologies if it makes me seem like a jerk.
Please, don't lighten up. After your last couple posts pointing out the self-inflicted ignorance of some people, you're quite possibly my favorite poster ever
Lt. Commander
# 53
01-30-2010, 04:27 AM
Instances are fine. They are just duplicates of a zone to separate players from all being in the same map at the same time.

The problem I have is the scale of this game. It has to be the smallest MMO I have played to date. There is no exploration in this game at all. Clusters do not count as you are simply boxed into an area that randomly generates points to scan.

The concept talked about via executive producer Craig Zinkievich, was that there would be boundless areas where exploration was key. That you could not only explore strange new worlds generated by their "genesis system", but that you could save it's location and revisit the planet any time you wished.

He also said that you would be able to recruit unique crew from this planet as well...

I have yet to see any of the above in this game.

About EvE,

EvE had a huge space system at launch. With the added FREE expansions, the game is even bigger in terms of volumed space. Not only could you visit new star systems, but you could look at every planet, moon, comet, and asteroid belt in that system.

Systems were linked together logically via each star system. The star systems weren't randomly generated as you traveled around your 5x5 box either. You could spend an hour just trying to get to a system that you know is there, but have not been to yet. And once you did, the items, factions, dangers that you came across were unique to that area of the galaxy. The farther out you explored, the more likely you wouldn't be coming home in your ship. (STO has only a little of this in it, and it's the bigger brand)

There is no risk in STO at all. You can just fly around and fight like an idiot because you have nothing to worry about. With that being the case, STO has less than a month of physical space to explore before you have seen everything it has to offer. The only reason it will take you a month is because of level restrictions...

If I want to go somewhere, regardless of how stupid I would be to go there as an ensign, let me do it. It's not like you loose anything from dying in this game, right? right.

STO=Quake3 Space map

EDIT: It's also worth noting that what you did in EvE had an effect on EvE's storyline itself. Whereas STO is only effected by the devs doing some event. However, once that event is over, it's back to the previous status quo.
Lt. Commander
# 54
01-30-2010, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdpig View Post
It pretty well is instanced, though. The only difference is that there is no loading screen between places in EVE, but that's just because all you had to load was usually a giant 3d planet, a space station and some ships. Maybe some roids too. Or a gate!

That and no one can freely enter your instance. Including hostiles.

Can we please be allowed to enter your instance at will? As a primarily kling player i'd like that. I'd like that a lot.
Wait, what?

No, EVE online is not instanced. I could have sworn that I just explained it as simply as I could. Let me put it this way. If in EVE, you are in Star System A, and 1000 PKs come to Star System A, they wind up in your same space, and they may attack you at will. With that many they probably wouldn't have to worry much about the space police either if you were in High Sec space.

Now, if you were talking about STO, you didn't make yourself very clear. And yes, you may indeed enter any of my instances at will. I have over a decade of MMO PvP under my belt, and was raiding peoples' sectors in Trade Wars on the BBSes well before that.
Lt. Commander
# 55
01-30-2010, 04:33 AM
I played Eve for quite a while. I'm not there now. I am so glad STO isn't all Jita'd up. You cannot reasonably compare STO and Eve.

They have one thing in common, they're both space games.
Lt. Commander
# 56
01-30-2010, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichVR View Post
I played Eve for quite a while. I'm not there now. I am so glad STO isn't all Jita'd up. You cannot reasonably compare STO and Eve.

They have one thing in common, they're both space games.
STO is the bigger brand, while EvE is the bigger game (since launch).

There, I was just able to reasonably compare them.
Lt. Commander
# 57
01-30-2010, 04:41 AM
I don't see what the big complaint about instancing is all about? Why does it make you suspend your imagination, that space is not large?

Complain about cut scenes when warping, why? It is a short load screen, a few seconds at its worse. EVE and WoW have longer load screens. Eve even has to stop traffic to certain systems becuse they get overloaded.

Yes, there are still some bugs out there. Yes, there are some changes that were suggested that have not been done (ie: mission maps could have more detail). But, overall it is pretty good game that has great potential.

I give is a "B -" (80%), slightly down from my Open Beta score because of a few glitches.
Lt. Commander
# 58
01-30-2010, 05:09 AM
Just my thoughts on it. Ive been playing MMO's for a long time now since the release of Asheron's call. As that was my first MMO and it was very similar to EVE where you could start at point a and run for 3 hours across the entire game it was a thrill. Jump into a town and there are 200 people there trading buying selling etc it was awesome.

Since then i have learned to Hate instanced games. Why have a fleet of 500 people when i cant even go do a massive PVP fleet battle against the Klingon's. that's what i know about EVE and they were doing it what 5 years ago? Why cant MMO's Progress learn and move forward. This game is a step back. I'm sorry this isn't a MMO its allot of SMO's lots of Small games run on one server. There is no difference to this game and Battlefield 2 both only allow X number of player onto a Map they finish the battle jump out and go to another map.

What about the fact i cant loop or roll over. This is space isn't it? even MS Flight Sim I'm sure you can roll backwards and over and preform thoughts kinds of maneuvers and thats what 10 years old.

The game has less complexity than WOW its pretty ill give them that the graphics are great. The game has maybe 3 month's of life in it for me. I wanted it to be good so badly cause I'm such a Trek Head but expectations have left me feeling very down on the whole game. Its like they used the same engine for City of Hero's and saved a bundle using it.

Lets hope i find it interesting enough to play it till Star Wars Online comes out. That's all i have to say.
Lt. Commander
# 59
01-30-2010, 05:30 AM
people who should be playing eve if they want to play eve ITT.
Lt. Commander
# 60
01-30-2010, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyklingon
people who should be playing eve if they want to play eve ITT.
A truer post, if not poorly written, there ever was.

However, all games, including MMO's, are compared to those before them.

Space is Big
EvE is Big (since launch)
STO is, not so big..