Lt. Commander
# 71
01-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divitiacus
i waited all this time for this?!?!?!?!

first and foremost i play stuff like this for the space game, and whats this? instanced space zones (small at that) freelancer/jumpgate/EVE is the space gameplay i was expecting... here we are doing space "levels" instead................ where is the free roaming space play i EXPECTED star trek to be?!??!?!
Caveat Emptor. The information was out there. If you walk into a store, close your eyes, grab something, buy it, open your eyes, and it's not what you want, whose fault is it? That is what you did; so you blame the store? NEXT TIME, I suggest you actually RESEARCH a game before buying it instead of saying, "HEY! I've always wanted a game based on this tv show! Why, SURELY this will be EXACTLY WHAT I WANT so I'll buy it blind!" You might be happier in the long run.
Lt. Commander
# 72
01-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momurda View Post
For me exploring is to NOT be on a missions but to EXPLORE!!
thats not your starship, not your crew. You are a member/employee of Starfleet of KDF. You follow their orders, you don't get to take that starship and do as you please, its not yours.

Running around with total freedom does not fit in with the federation/KDF thing this game is built on.

Maybe if we get some neutral civilian factions later.

Could you imagine a tank driver complaining that his CO's won't let him take his M1A1 Battle tank off the to the mountains for a vacation with his family?

You explore when and where Starfleet tells you too buddy.
Lt. Commander
# 73
01-30-2010, 02:06 PM
You created your own expectations. That is where they came from.

If you are disappointed that your expectations aren't met, then you only have yourself to blame.

Lesson: Do not make expectations.
Lt. Commander
# 74
01-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
You created your own expectations. That is where they came from.

If you are disappointed that your expectations aren't met, then you only have yourself to blame.

Lesson: Do not make expectations.
Never a truer word spoken.
Lt. Commander
# 75
01-30-2010, 02:08 PM
i can't wait till all the free month idiots are gone
Lt. Commander
# 76
01-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker88 View Post
meh, loads so fast they could have left the loading screen out. unless your running on a 20 year old HDD
I have to agree. I was in the closed and the beginning of the open beta and I logged into the the head start and was pleasently surprised at the speed improvement. I'm so fine with instancing.

As far as other planets in the systems goal was to only have the planets were the story would be... Andor in the Andorian system, Earth in the Sol system, etc.

When they did the game they had a couple choices. One is to go with as much realism as you dare to muster, the other is to make it episodic. By episodic I mean it's more like the show. When the ship needed to go to Mavis 4 it didn't show the Enterprise passing Mavis 10-5 it just showed them at Mavis 4. (Granted in Best of Both worlds it showed them passing through the solar system, but that was a storytelling trick to build suspense. STO does this in missions like Stop the Signal.)

Personally I would have been happy with either choice, but I think episodic was the best choice because it allowed them to get the game out quicker because they didn't have to worry about adding content that adds nothing to the mission at hand. Plus you can always add to systems later.
Lt. Commander
# 77 I think STO is great
01-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divitiacus
i waited all this time for this?!?!?!?!

first and foremost i play stuff like this for the space game, and whats this? instanced space zones (small at that) freelancer/jumpgate/EVE is the space gameplay i was expecting... here we are doing space "levels" instead................ where is the free roaming space play i EXPECTED star trek to be?!??!?!
I don't have a problem with it TBH. I think its really great as is. For me, if I wanted to play a free-flowing space type game I would play EvE or more likely X2 or something of the like.

Though I do miss space being 3D lol. huge expanse L, R, Forward and Back... tiny amount of space up and down. I'm hoping they will "resolve" that in time though. The games got plenty to keep my playing.
Lt. Commander
# 78
01-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Its a work in progress, I hope, I see big things for the future.
Lt. Commander
# 79
01-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullforged View Post
Eve has a ludicrous amount of instancing, every single system is separate, every roid field is separate and missions send you into a part of space you have to search for with probes, I don't see how you think that is any more open.
Ah my bad.... difference between instance and server noted
Lt. Commander
# 80
01-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken07
thats not your starship, not your crew. You are a member/employee of Starfleet of KDF. You follow their orders, you don't get to take that starship and do as you please, its not yours.

Running around with total freedom does not fit in with the federation/KDF thing this game is built on.

Maybe if we get some neutral civilian factions later.

Could you imagine a tank driver complaining that his CO's won't let him take his M1A1 Battle tank off the to the mountains for a vacation with his family?

You explore when and where Starfleet tells you too buddy.
I agree with this 100%. I try to do this as Starfleet would have me do if I were actually in it you know? Makes it more interesting. For example when you need to help a ship in distress u don't go off and scan anomolous readings. Really irritates me when people rush to get anomolous readings and don't do what their supposed to do.