Career Officer
# 11
10-27-2013, 04:56 AM
It wouldn't stop leechers, afkers and those who like to troll, not team players....yeah the concept of being more prepared for elite is fine but in practice flawed. Any form of certifying both in game and real life won't stop those that can't be bothered to do well getting access to certified stuff (eSTFs). You do what you need to access eSTFs then back to usual gameplay and it's not like Cryptic will take that away from you.

The idea normal can't prepare you for elite I really don't get. I was told CGN and CGE are completely different....erm....how? The NPCs are a few levels higher "that's it". Aside from the occasional ship upgrade from probe>sphere or sphere>cube space only a small increase in level which is hardly noticeable separates normal from elite and ground it's just the level increase. If you mean the bridges in IGN not being IGE, yes that 'one' change completely changes everything.
Captain
# 12
10-27-2013, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saekiith View Post
My Sarcasm seems to have been to realistic...
eh. havent fallen for one in a long time

in my defense, I have seen many times suggested that gear should be accounted
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
Captain
# 13
10-27-2013, 05:55 AM
Anymore if your are in say ISE and someone goes to the right side when the rest of the team is on the left and blows a Gen and causes the optional to fail. It is a griefer. There are more and more people pugging STF's that are failing it on purpose. In Kithomer space I have seen them go spawn 4 cubes as fast as they can then fly out of bounds and watch. Or in cure blow a cube then fly away. Lucky that Crit and FAW/A2B/DEM builds are rampant and can usualy handle a cube getting popped in Cure now days. But the Kithomer griefers are really bad about spawning multiple cubes and not killing them or tricking the team in to thinking they are stopping probes then letting them pass. I'm not one to tell others how to have fun, but if this is your idea of fun gameplay you perhaps need to step back and look at yourself and wonder why ruining the fun for others is enjoyable to you.
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
10-27-2013, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftulus View Post
The idea is to make you do a 25 WINS accolade on any ground/space mission that has an elite version to unlock access to the elite version. It should be per specific STF/PVE thing! Even event mission. Then you can grind them before you start getting the elite variation.

This would control flow into such missions and make sure everyone knows how to do them more before they do them. It would save alot of headache for a lot of people.
The biggest issues with eSTF completion with PUGs is lack of communication and poor teamwork. Some players have enough DPS and power creep to carry a bad PUG, so it's not as big of a problem now as it used to be, but I still maintain the best way for people to succeed is to a) communicate and b) work together. This means knowing what to do and how to do it. I've been in PUGs where everyone is too busy focusing on whatever they're doing, and the optional is lost on something like KSE because lol nobody was on probe duty.

That's not a damage issue at all, that's a 'I can't be arsed looking after the probes and I'm not gonna bother communicating that to anyone else' issue. When you have a team like that, or at least half a team who are all on one side of the map while you're on the other juggling transformers, gateways, cubes and probes, it doesn't matter how much damage everyone is doing. Fortunately, losing the optional just means losing 15 o-marks. But I'd rather not lose anything at all.

The thing is, you can put guys like that through normal as you suggest, 25 times or more, and they still wouldn't learn. Plus, the easy mode nature of nSTFs mean they'll never have to learn either.
Captain
# 15
10-27-2013, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsilverwings1 View Post
It wouldn't stop leechers, afkers and those who like to troll, not team players....yeah the concept of being more prepared for elite is fine but in practice flawed. Any form of certifying both in game and real life won't stop those that can't be bothered to do well getting access to certified stuff (eSTFs). You do what you need to access eSTFs then back to usual gameplay and it's not like Cryptic will take that away from you.

The idea normal can't prepare you for elite I really don't get. I was told CGN and CGE are completely different....erm....how? The NPCs are a few levels higher "that's it". Aside from the occasional ship upgrade from probe>sphere or sphere>cube space only a small increase in level which is hardly noticeable separates normal from elite and ground it's just the level increase. If you mean the bridges in IGN not being IGE, yes that 'one' change completely changes everything.
That's not quite the point, the missions are the same and the NPC's only change, yes.... the problem is, the tactics that one can develop that can result in winning a normal, won't necessarily translate to an elite.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
10-27-2013, 06:43 AM
If this was implemented, I think a minimum of 5 would be better than 25.

Also, the AFK rules should be applied by that point.
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...

Last edited by jumpingjs; 10-27-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Career Officer
# 17
10-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekehd View Post
That's not quite the point, the missions are the same and the NPC's only change, yes.... the problem is, the tactics that one can develop that can result in winning a normal, won't necessarily translate to an elite.
I still don't get how there needs to be a change in tactics between normal and elite. They hit harder as should you, the tactics stay the same with a small increase in difficulty. If anyone can say they had to come up with brand new tactics for doing elite having done normal then that's a new one on me with exception being IGN/IGE boss room but back when there was only one difficulty of STF there weren't any bridges at all.
Career Officer
# 18
10-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftulus View Post
The idea is to make you do a 25 WINS accolade on any ground/space mission that has an elite version to unlock access to the elite version. It should be per specific STF/PVE thing! Even event mission. Then you can grind them before you start getting the elite variation.

This would control flow into such missions and make sure everyone knows how to do them more before they do them. It would save alot of headache for a lot of people.
ok, so the biggest gripe about STO is that it's one big grind, and you are suggesting
Another. Big. Grind.
Brilliant.
If the next Star Trek is on Showtime or HBO, Kirk will look like a prude.

We Want Vic Fontaine!!! No to Arc Yes to a Federation Frigate Pet
Captain
# 19
10-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saekiith View Post
My Sarcasm seems to have been to realistic...
Sarcasm is one of the hardest things to portray in a post, best to leave it be
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Career Officer
# 20
10-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsilverwings1 View Post
I still don't get how there needs to be a change in tactics between normal and elite.
Im sure you wouldn't suggest blowing the cubes 1 by 1 in elite cure. One person wouldn't be able to carry the team in that situation. (unless of course your in a well geared premade)

I was trying out Rift the other day. What caught my eye was the in-game video tutorials. STO for elite content should have that. When it's your first time playing elite content the tutorial should pop-up and play before you enter. The video should give you the run down of the map and what you need to do in said map with tips along the way.

Doing normal content 25 or any other number is unnecessary grind.