Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2010, 03:22 AM
You will still need a retail key as far as i know, lifetime sub is just a one off payment for the duration of the life of the game, which i do hope is many years to come

If no retail then you will not be ble to play, the headstart is just a perk so a diffrent key is used for them granting temp game play till a valid key is entered , if you not enter the key ther after launch you will be not able to get in to the game, regardless if you have payed for a life time sub.

As when the life sub offer ends folks who want to play will have to subscribe.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2010, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuchulainnDarklight View Post
Umm, you completely missed the point (anyway most pre-orders where ordered before people where told they wouldnt get their pre-order items when they were allowed to start playing the game (though some already have)).
I'm not so sure about that, I think it's more a case of people not reading all the information on the order page. I know amazon.co.uk clearly stated that my key for the Borg BO would be sent out the day before release and release day
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Maybe I am totally clueless, and that is very possible, but i pre ordered the game on November 29, 2009 from GameStop. I will not actually get the game until Feb 2, 2010. I wanted to purchase the lifetime subscription but I will not get my activation key until the 2nd, and the lifetime subscription offer ends on Feb 1st. How does that seem fair? Did I miss something?
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexy21 View Post
Maybe I am totally clueless, and that is very possible, but i pre ordered the game on November 29, 2009 from GameStop. I will not actually get the game until Feb 2, 2010. I wanted to purchase the lifetime subscription but I will not get my activation key until the 2nd, and the lifetime subscription offer ends on Feb 1st. How does that seem fair? Did I miss something?
If you preordered, you got a preorder key in your account here at cryptic. When you buy the lifetime sub, you need to have a retailer preorder key already attached to your account. Your account then has Lifetime Subscription enabled in it, but it still requires a game key (retail key). There's a couple day grace period after the 2nd that will allow people to get their keys and get them entered. I'd imagine after the first week, if you don't have a retail key in your account, you will not have access, lifetime sub or not.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Sinner
If you preordered, you got a preorder key in your account here at cryptic. When you buy the lifetime sub, you need to have a retailer preorder key already attached to your account. Your account then has Lifetime Subscription enabled in it, but it still requires a game key (retail key). There's a couple day grace period after the 2nd that will allow people to get their keys and get them entered. I'd imagine after the first week, if you don't have a retail key in your account, you will not have access, lifetime sub or not.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the help.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikona
I think you need to read a little better OP.

"Note: A retail box or digital download purchase is required to play Star Trek Online and future expansion packs. Lifetime subscription covers your subscription fee for as long as the game is in service. 12-month discounted subscription covers your subscription fee for 12 months and will recur at the same price at the end of the 12-month period. Subscription fees are non-refundable. We make no explicit or implicit warranties on the service period of the game. This offer ends February 1st, 2010 11:59PM PST. While supplies last. Prices displayed are not inclusive of VAT for purchases from the European Union (EU). VAT is charged in accordance with the local legislation in each member state and varies from 15% to 25%."

It clearly states, directly from the page where you can choose the lifetime sub, that you need a retail box or digital download purchase to play. That's + the sub fee. It also clearly states that it's non-refundable.

http://www.startrekonline.com/exclusive_specials

Now make sure you get your retail copy and enter your key or you'll be kicking yourself for wasting $240+tax.
I dont think I will kick mself any which way, I reckon in a few months my lifetime sub will be worth more than i paid for it, if im lucky, and its ebay time!

I do have a question though, why is it all U.S. prices are without tax for all goods and services, is that not confusing?

When i go into a shop, online or highstreet, the marked price is the price i pay. At no point do they add taxes on. Why dont the prices displayed incorporate the tax rate so you see what your payment will actually be?
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Quote:
I dont think I will kick mself any which way, I reckon in a few months my lifetime sub will be worth more than i paid for it, if im lucky, and its ebay time!

I do have a question though, why is it all U.S. prices are without tax for all goods and services, is that not confusing?

When i go into a shop, online or highstreet, the marked price is the price i pay. At no point do they add taxes on. Why dont the prices displayed incorporate the tax rate so you see what your payment will actually be?
Sales tax depends on the state. Some states do not have sales tax, and ones that do, the % varies.

Online, you are not usually taxed unless purchasing items from your home state.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Quote:

You know that Cryptic also has a rule that they will shut that account down for trying to sell it right?

As answered by someone else, tax is based on a few different things. In Washington state it's by county. It's not confusing if you know the accurate tax rate and can do simple math to get the amount you have to pay in tax.