Lt. Commander
# 1 Who Fired First?
01-30-2010, 03:48 AM
So far, I have to say, STO is better than I thought given its just rolled out, and not even officially at that. Sure, I'm sure there are some things that will need to be addressed, but isn't that always the case with new MMO's? Sure it is.

Just a thought though regards the combat system...
In the TV series, films etc., a federation vessel would not engage until threatened. By that I mean, they would 'not fire until fired upon'. This is a policy of most real military forces in real life and it was reflected in Star Trek when it hit the screens. Is this something that should be considered for the combat system in game?

Historically, the Klingons, Romulans, Borg, whoever, were the aggressors and always either fired first or at least had to excercise their aggression before the Starfleet crews could take any aggressive action. In STO, this could be accomplished quite easily. Those playing as Starfleet officers would simply have to wait before engaging the enemy. Effectively, the enemy could turn aggresive at any point. May be better for PvE but could be introduced for PvP too.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 03:52 AM
The 'no firing first' concept is reasonable in peace time situations and when dealing with new species and such but in STO the Federation is at war with the Klingons and their allies. THat changes things a bit.

As the Human saying goes.... All's fair in love and war....
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 03:58 AM
Han fired first.

...wait, what were we talking about?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 04:03 AM
The klingons shot first because of that there is no longer any niceties
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 04:14 AM
I fired a Klingon from my crew, he took it the wrong way.
He told the others I "FIRED" first.
Hence we are at war.
Sorry guys, my bad.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 04:20 AM
My Fed has opened fire on just about everyone one, he has stollen dilithium from the Gorn, blown up mines and listening stations (probably crewed by civilians) and shot first in every engagment. Far as I can tell Feds are the boggymen the other powers scare their children to make them behave.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 04:35 AM
I did not fire first. It was a weapons malfunction. An elaborate weapons malfunction that kept hitting that other guy over and over. That's all I remember.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Han fired first.

...wait, what were we talking about?
WRONG! Han did not shoot first!

Hans was the only one shooting!
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Well, the Federation represents a united Earth, among other things. So we've got the Americans handling wartime diplomacy, the Russians handling external security, and the Chinese handling propaganda.

We fired first, anyone who witnessed it is dead, and the Glorious Federation's Heroic Struggle Against the Evil Oppressors is going along nicely. We are winning, FYI, and our government loves and protects us.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 02:08 PM
I saw them making threatening gestures out of their windows. Seriously...they had it coming.