Lt. Commander
# 21
01-30-2010, 03:16 AM
Alright... I was having issues with steam also (never buy a mmo through steam again... grrr)

Right now I managed to get the launcher working again (by deactivate the autmatic update setting in steam and deleting the "Star Trek" folder in the steamapps folder - then start the launcher again to let it patch).
Let's hope after maintenance it will work just fine again without Steam.

Now i let it finish the download, then go a little shopping. When i come back, the servers should be up again... i hope
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-30-2010, 03:18 AM
Is it me or are you guys forgetting not only Americans play this game? But also a lot of europeans. First the headstart was in US time evening for us. Now you do maintenace on weekend morning? Maybe think a bit more of us europeans than only think of the Americans.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-30-2010, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenixzor
Is it me or are you guys forgetting not only Americans play this game? But also a lot of europeans. First the headstart was in US time evening for us. Now you do maintenace on weekend morning? Maybe think a bit more of us europeans than only think of the Americans.
I fully agree on this one. In Europe this is prime weekend time. So whilst this is fine for Americans this is a pain for those of us in Europe and if this is the timing of "planned maintance" in the future you will seriously harm your reputation in Europe.

Also, please please please put up GMT time as well as PST as right now it feels, to me at least, that you only care about the American market.

Having said all of that this is a great game, otherwise I wouldn't be so annoyed that I can't play it at 11:25 in the morning of my weekend
Lt. Commander
# 24 EU server would be bset
01-30-2010, 03:30 AM
I agrre this timing is NOT good for EU clients, so a dedicated server would be best, OR no downtime @ weekends for ANY servers please
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-30-2010, 03:31 AM
Really don't want to sound like a whiner but this is a pretty legitimate complaint. It shows an extreme lack of concern for the European customer base to have scheduled maintenance midday on a Saturday.

Here's hoping this isn't going to be the standard.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-30-2010, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenixzor
As some one posted in the beta forums, they are an american comapny, they work american hours, generally we EU folks have to accept that and jsut go with it, Cryptic dont have to change thier habbits to cater for us, we need to adapt to cater for them. I know its major hassle and a bit of inconvience for us, but its something we have to go with. But maintenance on a Weekend isnt good for any one and especailly if eats into our playtime.

But come throughout the week the time they do maintenance if its this time then in theory most of EU will be at work/school and should be minor inconvience then, but lets hope maintence time is minimal at any time they decide to do it.

Lt. Commander
# 27
01-30-2010, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Destra
We will be bringing down Star Trek Online on Saturday, January 30th from 3:00AM PST to 5:00AM PST in order to perform maintenance, and apply a patch to further optimize server performance. We will update this thread once this maintenance has been completed.

Thank you,

The Star Trek Online Team

sooner or later you HAVE to realize that you started a world wide server cluster, so it WOULD be nice if you could at least post some main time zones (i allways mix em up, so help a dumb user!)

i guess it's +9 still (CET) so it should be 1200-1400.... but servers ain't down eh?
see? now i am confused.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-30-2010, 03:36 AM
You think headstart in the evening is rough?

It was 5AM here for Sydney, Australia. And then on top of the painful hour, then Steam dropped the ball and I spent the next few hours re-downloading.

We Australian players (and there are more of us than you think) have this downtime between 10:00PM and 12:00AM - in other words, right in the middle of our core play time.

Same story with WoW's Tuesday downtime, so we've just learned to live with it basically. Fact of life - the majority of players will be in the USA, therefore it is logical to make downtime appropriate for the majority of players.

After all, the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-30-2010, 03:39 AM
I'm in the UK and got used to such timings. It's not just Cryptic

Eve has a server downtime every day at 11AM uk time for 1 hour

In fact if they did it every day from the start you would get used to it and know that server was unavailable for 1 hour each day. You can then plan playing time appropriately.

What hurts is when sudden downtime happens when you had organised to get on for a few hours with friends or guild and this cuts into that time.

My opinion is they should post regular maintenance window when server will be probably down for any maintenece/patch etc.
Lt. Commander
# 30 Europe Market
01-30-2010, 03:41 AM
Something the Europe players are forgetting is they get a week of head start time vs our 4 days. Yes I know its one server, but look at eve it has a daily downtime at 11am GMT EVERY day. Also the middle of the day is the best day on the weekend to patch a game. Would you like it to be at 1600 or 2000 GMT? Every time is bad for someone. The people over in Japan or Australia are worse off. In Australia its between like 1900 and 2200 and they don't ***** as bad as you Europe players do.

They have not yet released when the normal downtime is and your complaining already because they are patching the server cause they had some other issues that didn't show up in open beta? Its not officially released yet.

Your inside of a free week for your game for the head start or 4 days for the American players.