Lt. Commander
# 41 Poor Management
01-30-2010, 07:00 AM
A scheduled downtime at this point in the game/process is absurb. If the game needs maintainence after 24 hours of play then something is wrong with the server. If nothing is worng with the server then why would someone schedule downtime at a peak playing time?

I think its great so many of you are being understanding; I would normally be reticent about posting a negative post like this. However, I feel this smacks of some seriously poor decision making.

I played Champions since prelaunch as well and Cryptic struggles with player based concepts - as compared to many other MMO companies. I bought a lifetime subscription - I hope I didn't waste my money. I'm enjoying the game a great deal except for these constant issues with keeping the game live.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Maybe do somthing about this so we can actually play the game ?

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=88584
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zayfard View Post
I fully agree on this one. In Europe this is prime weekend time. So whilst this is fine for Americans this is a pain for those of us in Europe and if this is the timing of "planned maintance" in the future you will seriously harm your reputation in Europe.

Also, please please please put up GMT time as well as PST as right now it feels, to me at least, that you only care about the American market.

Having said all of that this is a great game, otherwise I wouldn't be so annoyed that I can't play it at 11:25 in the morning of my weekend
Tell that to the folks over at Iceland-based CCP that do the maintenance on EvE Online IN THE EXACT SAME TIMEFRAME: 11AM-1PM GMT.

Last I heard, they're quite successful AND only have ONE blade server setup for all of Europe/US/Asia, based in Britan. BTW, that blade server has handled up to 56,000 people online AT THE SAME TIME, and took 9 years to develop over time.

Wanna rethink your statement?
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Eve has a Chinese dedicated server cluster due to their laws..but the rest of the world is on same server
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Lag is worse then ever. And I thought it was unplayable before....
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah, played for like 10 hours straight yesterday before the servers went down and now can't even login. What you did, you need to undo because it didn't help. I don't get how an experienced MMO company can't have a successful launch. Do you completely ignore what you did on other games?
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyriver View Post
A scheduled downtime at this point in the game/process is absurb. If the game needs maintainence after 24 hours of play then something is wrong with the server. If nothing is worng with the server then why would someone schedule downtime at a peak playing time?

I think its great so many of you are being understanding; I would normally be reticent about posting a negative post like this. However, I feel this smacks of some seriously poor decision making.

I played Champions since prelaunch as well and Cryptic struggles with player based concepts - as compared to many other MMO companies. I bought a lifetime subscription - I hope I didn't waste my money. I'm enjoying the game a great deal except for these constant issues with keeping the game live.
So, CO and STO must be the first MMOs you've played from their launch forward? I ask because this is (unfortunately) normal for ANY new MMO - hekk, [b]World of ******** (now with 11+ million subs) had a nightmarish launch with regard to server stability. Do I like it, no; but this will be pretty common for the first month or so. Just a fact of new MMO launches.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Were any patch notes ever released?
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-30-2010, 12:09 PM
and the servers are down again at 12PM PST
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyriver View Post

LOL u CLEARLY have no clue about an MMO release. Almost all MMOs when they are released go down EVERY NIGHT for about 1-3 weeks for updates, fixes and patches LOL

So far the server has only really crashed HARD.. and that's right now since launch... I can't say that about 90% of the other MMOs released.

So stop whining about scheduled maint or downtime. Expect them to take it down every night or every other night for a few weeks - deal with it.

3am to 5am IS NOT PEAK PLAYTIME LOLOLOL. It might be where YOU live.. but the servers are hosted in California, USA (GMT-8) and downtime is only scheduled around GMT-8 to GMT-5 times zones