Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Ensign
UPDATE:
Alright, here's a go at a tightened up build:

Current Build: http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...d=startermk2_0

Ship

Deflector Array (found on exchange for affordable)
Changed to Positron XI [FlwC] [Stl] - Added flow capacitor and additional shield hp stats to the existing tanky goodness.

Aft Weapons
Changed Mines to Cutting Beam - It's "only" T2 Omega Reputation, so it's something to shoot for.

Engineering Consoles
Changed RCS to Assimilated Module - It's T1 and should be one of the easier reputation items to reach, and plenty of builds here advocate it

Changed Ablative to Neutronium - I agree that kinetic damage is scary and the module itself is affordable on the exchange

Science Consoles
Changed 1 Shield Emitter to another Flow Capacitor - Embrace the drain!

Changed other Shield Emitter to Leech - I can dream and save up

Bridge Officers

Ens Tac - Replaced Tactical Team 1 with BFAW 1 - MOAR BEAMS, less shared team cooldowns, goodbye sweet auto balancing shields

Lt Eng - Replaced Engineering Team 2 with Aux2Struct 1 - Hull heals was really the goal here

To me this seems like a decent near-future goal. I of course will keep an eye out for straight upgrades in mark or rarity to existing items.

Thank you all so far. Any thoughts on these updates?

ORIGINAL POST
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hokay so, I am a relatively new player. I started playing last month and just hit 50 recently. I generally enjoy a support / control / buff / debuff role in games (Defenders and Controllers in City of Heroes) so I rolled Science.

I'd like to get opinions on my build at this point. Since I'm so new I don't have any marks or reputation and limited dilithium and EC. There are a lot of end-game builds full of faction weapons and Fleet ships tossed around in this forum but everyone started somewhere, right?

My goal with this ship is to control the battlefield and keep my allies alive while still being able to hold my own while solo. Here's my build, along with some newbie rationalizations:

Ship
Reconnaissance Science Vessel - With 2 choices for free ships with 2 science stations, I chose the Tac slot over the Eng slot.

Fore Weapons
Dual Polaron Beam XI [Acc]x2 (x3) - Dual Beams seem the best arc vs dps balance, and polaron synergizes with the Jem'Hadar set.

Deflector
Positron Mk X - Got this as a drop, seems good for shields. Not sure what to choose here. Is the skill from the 3rd piece of Jem'Hadar worth it?

Impulse Engine
Jem'Hadar Mk XI - Very Rare Mission Reward with +Weapon power and set bonus for damage. Hard to pass up.

Warp Core
Field Stab Mk XI [EPS] [W->A][SSR] - I wanted more shields, while adding aux power from weapons for sci abilities.

Shield
Jem'Hadar Mk XI - Used for set bonus, seemingly decent stats and crew resists.

Aft Weapons
Polaron Turret Mk XI (x2), Mines - Since I mostly face targets, turrets help with dps. Also with pesky fighters via BFAW.

Devices
Scorpion Fighters, Shield Batteries, Weapon Batteries - Batteries are good in a pinch, the fighters are fun with Photonic Fleet.

Eng Consoles
RCS X, Ablative X - I have no idea what I'm doing.jpg

Sci Consoles
Flow Cap XI (x2), Shield Emitter XI (x2) - Flow caps for more energy and duration from Energy Siphon. Emitters to provide support and tank.

Tac Consoles
Polaron XI(x3) - Seemed right to buff my main damage type as much as possible.

Bridge Officers

Lt Tac - Beam Fire at Will 1, Attack Pattern Beta 1

Ens Tac - Tactical Team 1

Lt Eng - Emergency Power to Shields 1, Engineering Team 2

Comm Sci - Polarize Hull 1, Hazard Emitters 2, Energy Siphon 2, Gravity Well 3

Lt Comm Sci - Science Team 1, Transfer Shield Strength 2, Energy Siphon 2

Duty Officers

None slotted, have a few besides the starter pack. Looking for input here.

Combat

When starting a fight I generally lead with Gravity Well to clump them up, followed by Energy drain on cooldown to buff my power levels, then let them have it with the Tactical skills. APB + BFAW to debuff everything, or Sensor Scan if it?s up and will hit everything due to Gravity Well.

If I or my allies take damage I can fix it with shield or hull skills.

I use Photonic Fleet against larger targets, it's usually up thanks to lots of science skills and the Photonic Capacitor trait.

The mines in the aft slot can be kind of derpy, but I'm far from having access to Cutting Beam, and it seemed like some kinetic damage would help at knife fight ranges; and since I'm usually facing the target for sci skills and dual beams, mines seemed better than a torpedo launcher. Maybe I'd be better off just using a third turret?

I've considered exchanging Gravity Well for Tyken's Rift, but I'm not sure about losing positional control for some extra drain.

The obvious plan at this point is to bump everything to Mk XII purples, which takes time and money. But that's not very useful if I'm using the wrong items. It's also come up quite a bit on these forums that the game right now is focused on DPS, maybe I should scrap this build's direction in favor of more dakka?

What do you think? I appreciate any advice.

Last edited by uberglitch; 10-28-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Updated Build
Captain
# 2
10-28-2013, 04:06 PM
http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...bestyoucando_0

Turn your ship into a super sucker, it is the beat way to go man.

Any questions?
Chive on and prosper

Anarchy Nexus recruitment thread
Ensign
# 3
10-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...bestyoucando_0

Turn your ship into a super sucker, it is the beat way to go man.

Any questions?

Ship building is thankless, so thank you for taking some time to respond to my post. I was under the impression that NPCs had quite a bit of drain resistance and/or un-player-like levels of subsystem power on their ships, such that draining was ineffective.

That said, I will give that skill setup a try tonight, and see if I can get started on the reputation system for some better components. I'm also thinking I might rerun the Gamma Quadrant mission again just to pick up the 3rd part of the Jem'Hadar set and replace my Deflector Dish.
Captain
# 4
10-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Nicely done, I know some vets who don't build as cleanly.

On the deflector, the main advantage of the Jem Hadar one is that it boosts your drains even further. The stealth detection toy is just a nice little extra. Depends if boosted drain is worth more than the Positron's extra durability to you.

Replacing the Ablative console with a Neutronium armor may be a good idea, since in most PVE content its Kinetic damage thats the real killer. While there is monotanium just for that, the 'covers for everything' of neutronium is worth the slight offset in damage reduction.

The Shield Emitters, do you mean the ones that boost your regen rate? Your heals will outstrip any passive regeneration for the most part, so those are kinda expendable. Were it my ship I'd add another Flow Capacitor, and then the Assimilated Module (once you get it).

Immediate purchases, I wouldn't worry about 12-purple consoles, as for tac consoles they're absurdly overpriced; 11-blue is the 'resonable' cap, 12-blue to really push it, but 12-purple is for crazy people with more money than sense. And science and eng consoles you get better from fleet holdings than you can possible buy, so not worth the hassle. On the other hand, the Plasmonic Leech, while also pretty expensive, is a great addition to drain build and worth swapping your RCS console for. Sticker shock is pretty bad, but especially with that much Flow Cap skill behind it, you're looking at +20 or more to all your energy levels.

Damage Control Engineers, a couple of blue quality ones, might also be a nice addition, because then you can keep your EPTS at global cooldown for always-on, then swap the Engineering Team for another EPTx skill.

All in all though, not bad at all.

Edit:
BTW, forget Tyken's Rift. Its nice on paper but in practice few targets will hold still long enough for it to be much use. Gravity Well just has many more uses; its kind of a sci ship's swiss army knife.

Last edited by reginamala78; 10-28-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Ensign
# 5
10-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
Nicely done, I know some vets who don't build as cleanly.

On the deflector, the main advantage of the Jem Hadar one is that it boosts your drains even further. The stealth detection toy is just a nice little extra. Depends if boosted drain is worth more than the Positron's extra durability to you.

Replacing the Ablative console with a Neutronium armor may be a good idea, since in most PVE content its Kinetic damage thats the real killer. While there is monotanium just for that, the 'covers for everything' of neutronium is worth the slight offset in damage reduction.

The Shield Emitters, do you mean the ones that boost your regen rate? Your heals will outstrip any passive regeneration for the most part, so those are kinda expendable. Were it my ship I'd add another Flow Capacitor, and then the Assimilated Module (once you get it).

Immediate purchases, I wouldn't worry about 12-purple consoles, as for tac consoles they're absurdly overpriced; 11-blue is the 'resonable' cap, 12-blue to really push it, but 12-purple is for crazy people with more money than sense. And science and eng consoles you get better from fleet holdings than you can possible buy, so not worth the hassle. On the other hand, the Plasmonic Leech, while also pretty expensive, is a great addition to drain build and worth swapping your RCS console for. Sticker shock is pretty bad, but especially with that much Flow Cap skill behind it, you're looking at +20 or more to all your energy levels.

Damage Control Engineers, a couple of blue quality ones, might also be a nice addition, because then you can keep your EPTS at global cooldown for always-on, then swap the Engineering Team for another EPTx skill.

All in all though, not bad at all.

Edit:
BTW, forget Tyken's Rift. Its nice on paper but in practice few targets will hold still long enough for it to be much use. Gravity Well just has many more uses; its kind of a sci ship's swiss army knife.

Thanks for the advice!

The Shield Emitters in my build are from here. My impression of them was that they increased the amount restored by shield healing skills like Transfer Shield Strength. Because they increased the skill from this page. It may be overkill to have them though, no plan survives contact with the enemy, right?

The poster above you seems to think Tyken's is worth two slots, so I'm getting mixed signals. All I know is I love the way enemies woosh together when I pop Gravity Well.

I like the idea of Damage Control DOFFs, and I was looking in the meantime and think that I should get a couple Deflector DOFFs that reduce the recharge on things like GW and Energy Siphon. Doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Also thank you for being reasonable and not a "BEST IN SLOT OR GTFO" especially because I have indeed experienced the exchange sticker shock of very rare mark XII items!
Captain
# 6
10-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Start running the colonization doff chains in the Eridan Belt (as far north as you can possibly go) and Azlesa Expanse (SE corner, Klingon space). They take a week or two to run, but end in free blue doffs, plus a repeatable assignment that gives you a purple on a crit. In the case of those two particular chains, you'll get a Gravimetric Scientist and a Deflector Officer, respectively. Save you a couple million on buying them.
Captain
# 7
10-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Deflector doffs are broken and have been for a year now. They don't work on ES or TR.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
Shield emitters increase the amount of shields healed with abilities (EPtS, TSS, Sci team). I think you're confusing the engineering emitter amplifier consoles for the science emitter arrays. I do agree, however they can be swapped out for 2 more flow capacitors.

In any case, I disagree with having 3 different teams - while you have the choice to clear most debuffs, they all have a shared cooldown of 15 seconds. Ability synergy is definitely in question here. That being said, I would swap out Engineering team for RSP or another EPtX ability (another EPtS would give you full uptime for shield damage resistance).

Two copies of both HE and TSS would give you the fastest uptime of those abilities as well.

On another note, definitely try out Tyken's Rift 3. You'll find the the drain is quite significant if spec'd out properly, especially with 4 flow capacitors (the drains stack up every second).

Last edited by sgtstarfall; 10-28-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Ensign
# 9
10-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstarfall View Post
Shield emitters increase the amount of shields healed with abilities (EPtS, TSS, Sci team). I think you're confusing the engineering emitter amplifier consoles for the science emitter arrays. I do agree, however they can be swapped out for 2 more flow capacitors.

In any case, I disagree with having 3 different teams - while you have the choice to clear most debuffs, they all have a shared cooldown of 15 seconds. Ability synergy is definitely in question here. That being said, I would swap out Engineering team for RSP or another EPtX ability (another EPtS would give you full uptime for shield damage resistance).

Two copies of both HE and TSS would give you the fastest uptime of those abilities as well.

On another note, definitely try out Tyken's Rift 3. You'll find the the drain is quite significant if spec'd out properly, especially with 4 flow capacitors (the drains stack up every second).
Aha, interesting. In my new-ishness I didn't consider that some skills cause others to start cooldowns. I'll have to look into that more.

What if I managed to drop a Tyken's Rift on a Gravity Well to Drain ALL the things? That might make me consider dropping some skill points into particle generators, unless the damage is just too little to matter.

I'm also curious what the consensus is about Aux Power to Structural. I chose Engineering Team because of the hull heal, when (1 copy of) Hazard Emitters just couldn't keep up. Other concerns?
Ensign
# 10
10-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucho80 View Post
Deflector doffs are broken and have been for a year now. They don't work on ES or TR.
...dang.

Any other long unresolved bugs I should look out for?