Lt. Commander
Cryptic - Appreciate if you could help us disconnect your game from our STEAM installs. After re-downloading the entire game again due to whoever's SNAFU (I really don't care who is to blame), I don't want STEAM messing with STO builds ever again.

Valve does a great job at integrating their own games into STEAM but they do a poor job with third party games. To make matters worse, Valve is too big to care if they screw up a bunch of installs. Next time, I'll use D2D or some other digital D/L.

In the meantime, it would be appreciated if you could give us gamers a way out of STEAM for STO. Let us update and run the game without requiring STEAM.

Thanks in advance for anything you can do to help.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2010, 11:53 PM
You don't have to use Steam. Since your key is now account-locked you can just run the game from a shortcut pointing in to the Steam folders, or re-download the client from elsewhere and start fresh.

That said, maybe you should read this thread. It's not Valve's fault, but I know it's so much easier to sling mud at them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2010, 11:59 PM
I appreciate your post but I tried that fix. Unfortunately it didn't work.

In any case I don't need to download, I finally finished after waiting for seven hours.

I'll create a shortcut to the .exe from the install directory to my desktop but my only concern is if I need to re-install, or want to install on my laptop for travel.

It would be nice to have the install files completely independent of STEAM. Right now, as far as I know. the only option is to (as with all STEAM apps) right click on the game in my list and select "Backup game files", which I can use to re-install the game however, must run through STEAM to accomplish.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebulun
Cryptic - Appreciate if you could help us disconnect your game from our STEAM installs. After re-downloading the entire game again due to whoever's SNAFU (I really don't care who is to blame), I don't want STEAM messing with STO builds ever again.

Valve does a great job at integrating their own games into STEAM but they do a poor job with third party games. To make matters worse, Valve is too big to care if they screw up a bunch of installs. Next time, I'll use D2D or some other digital D/L.

In the meantime, it would be appreciated if you could give us gamers a way out of STEAM for STO. Let us update and run the game without requiring STEAM.

Thanks in advance for anything you can do to help.
ack ack

10chars
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebulun
I appreciate your post but I tried that fix. Unfortunately it didn't work.

In any case I don't need to download, I finally finished after waiting for seven hours.

I'll create a shortcut to the .exe from the install directory to my desktop but my only concern is if I need to re-install, or want to install on my laptop for travel.

It would be nice to have the install files completely independent of STEAM. Right now, as far as I know. the only option is to (as with all STEAM apps) right click on the game in my list and select "Backup game files", which I can use to re-install the game however, must run through STEAM to accomplish.
I just told you, your account is completely independent from Steam (which is not an acronym, by the way). You can make your own shortcut to the game or you can even re-download it elsewhere if you wish, you don't need to use Steam at all if you really hate it that much.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 12:04 AM
Even if you bought the program from Steam, no one is forcing you to download from there. Plenty of download locations:

http://startrekonline.com/node/374
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 12:06 AM
yup I see the torrent file out there.... Thanks.