Quote:
Originally Posted by Gax63 View Post
1st. Voice attack is $8.00
http://www.voiceattack.com/download.aspx

2nd. Windows speech recognition is free. Start here
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ptember23.mspx

3rd. Is other 3rd party software exceeding $9
http://www.google.com/search?q=game+...ient=firefox-a

The voice attack developer has a link on his site to update your XP speech software and a 21 day trial.
It really is the simplest way to go.

I tried the free Microsoft way first and was annoyed by other apps opening over my game because I was chatting in vent.
Although technically you could set your stop/start listening hotkey to the same as you vent ptt key.

Either way make sure you train the computer your voice, this is the first step that cannot be skipped.
I wanted to thank everyone for their help I'm debating between voiceattack and espeak. One of the things i like about espeak is the ability to type in a pre-set phrase, and have the computer repeat it, as well as the dictation (for letter writing in ms word, etc). i'm wondering if voiceattack has this as well.

With voiceattack, would i have the ability to use different voicesets, such as Cepstral's (http://cepstral.com)?? The reason i ask is because i have an idea to to this:

engineer on 1 voice reply
tactical as the 2nd voice reply
science would be the 3rd voice reply

Now depending on which tray command i select, the reply given would be in a different voice. (for example, "emergency power to shields", engineer voice reply, "jam sensors", science officer reply. i found this while searching through espeak, (i didn't really like the voice), and found Cepstral's voices, then found 2 voices that match my idea for my bo's almost perfectly.

One of my other major questions affecting my decision is if voiceattack will allow for loading a file from within another file? an example of this is below, (full credit for this goes to ariosto):

The basic idea is, you set up your binds as normal, but some of your binds refer to other bind files saved in the same directory. You then create separate bind files with different configurations of binds, and use the master bind file binds to switch between them and overwrite your current binds with new ones from each separate bind file.

For example, you might have all your custom commands bound to your numberpad keys. You'd set your basic binds as follows:

F5 bind_load_file spacebinds.txt
F6 bind_load_file groundbinds.txt
F7 bind_load_file rpbinds.txt

And then you'd set up each of these files to map commands to the keys based on what you needed for the given situation-so you would press F5 to load spacebinds.txt which would have "Fire All Beam Weapons" and "Fire All Torpedo Weapons" mapped to keys for space combat; but these would be overwritten by you simply pressing F6 and loading your groundbinds.txt binds, which would have binds for crouching, using devices, etc; and then you could press F7 to load your rpbinds.txt file which would bind various emotes to each of the same keys. You could then cycle between these files just by using the F buttons.

I think this would help me in that i'm currently listing all the commands i want to voice activate, but i have over 79 so far, and that's not counting binds for ground combat, or if i decide to try regulating ship speed via voice. if i can break the commands into separate files for specific uses, that would resolve this
problem.....

Once again, thanks for all the help, i'm sure i'll need more once i start the actual programming, but i'm trying to do as much groundwork as possible, & make the most informed decision possible....

Once again, thanks for all the help, i'm sure i'll need more once i start the actual programming, but i'm trying to do as much groundwork as possible, & make the most informed decision possible....

G

edited so that it reads a little cleaner - i should not try posting at 3am after spending 8 hrs at work, and then 4hrs researching..............
Lt. Commander
# 122 Some Tips and Answers
04-03-2010, 09:41 AM
First I have seen a lot of people trying to program sendKeys as {Spacebar}, the code that will work is "^{ }" so, your code will look like -> "<sendKeys> "^{ }" </sendKeys>.

I have also read about how many people are not getting results when the bind {CTRL} to their send keys. This is probably due to the fact that STO has somehow slipped "behind the scenes". Using the <appIsInForeground /> Tag may help. I noticed that others are using the run tag to launch .wavs in response to their voice commands. This will sometimes push STO into the background, especially if your media player has not been loaded yet.

I have mine set up a little differently. First I went to http://www.muconsulting.com/playwav/index.html and downloaded the playwav.exe command line player.

then I did a search to my favorite Star Trek sound bites and put all of the .wavs into a special folder. I then created a .bat file for each of my sounds. The .bat file is super easy to create, just load your notepad, type in c:\playwav.exe C:\users\[username]\WAVS\Ack01.wav and then save it as Ack01.bat.

Then in my Voice macro I put the following code within my <command> </command> tags:

Quote:
<script language='VBScript'>
<![CDATA[
Set wshShell = CreateObject ("WScript.shell")
wshshell.run "c:\users\[username]\BATS\Ack01.bat", 7, false
set wshshell = nothing
]]>
</script>
With the attributes of ,7, false at the end of the VBscript .run command, the playwav.exe program runs in the background and minimized. It never pulls STO into the background and it loads and kills itself extremely fast.

Yeah, it's a little more to program, but the results are more polished.

Good luck all you Voice Captains out there.
Live long and prosper!
Lt. Commander
# 123
04-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Quote:
I have also read about how many people are not getting results when the bind {CTRL} to their send keys. This is probably due to the fact that STO has somehow slipped "behind the scenes". Using the <appIsInForeground /> Tag may help. I noticed that others are using the run tag to launch .wavs in response to their voice commands. This will sometimes push STO into the background, especially if your media player has not been loaded yet.

I have mine set up a little differently. First I went to http://www.muconsulting.com/playwav/index.html and downloaded the playwav.exe command line player.

then I did a search to my favorite Star Trek sound bites and put all of the .wavs into a special folder. I then created a .bat file for each of my sounds. The .bat file is super easy to create, just load your notepad, type in c:\playwav.exe C:\users\[username]\WAVS\Ack01.wav and then save it as Ack01.bat.

i have no problem getting my voiceattack to use CTRL key combos and using wavs to play back my favorite trek sound files with no problems at all...why you feel the need to go to all that programming trouble is beyond me... voice attack is click and browse to file , program your keys and bam, it works....

http://www.indyhelis.com/junk/voiceattackdemo02.mpg
Lt. Commander
# 124
04-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Well, primarily, I didn't want to have to purchase any extra software to do what I wanted to do. I have the programming knowledge, so writing the code isn't really a problem. Yes, I would endorse your method, if someone didn't have the coding skills to do what I have done, but if you know how to code and don't want to spend the extra money for a third party piece of software then I don't see a problem with me giving the code to help others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingtip-
i have no problem getting my voiceattack to use CTRL key combos and using wavs to play back my favorite trek sound files with no problems at all...why you feel the need to go to all that programming trouble is beyond me... voice attack is click and browse to file , program your keys and bam, it works....

http://www.indyhelis.com/junk/voiceattackdemo02.mpg
Lt. Commander
# 125
04-06-2010, 01:45 PM
ok, thats true... and if you wanna spend all that time programming thats fine... i'd rather spend $8 dollars and go play, or spend time editing machinma videos...
Lt. Commander
# 126
06-20-2010, 08:15 AM
I'd love to do this but it looks way too complicated for me
Lt. Commander
# 127
06-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Well I got voice attack installed and im just testing it out to get it to switch to defense mode but it only intermittantly does the command.

Voice attack recognises the command but doesnt do anything, eventually if i say it enough times it does it. Any ideas ? oh and also it will eventually disable my keyboard and the only way to get it working again is to reboot.
Lt. Commander
# 128
06-20-2010, 12:09 PM
You may want to give a shot to Game Commander 2. It is way more simple, the recognition is pretty good (it understands my heavy accent ) and I can provide you the settings I did so far.
Since the maker of GC2 is out of business and is not sold anymore I think it is abandonware. I'm sure you can find a download link somewhere.
Lt. Commander
# 129
06-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Hmm I now have a reason to buy windows 7.
Lt. Commander
# 130
07-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Could those that are using this post their commands they use? This sounds really fun and would like to see a full list of commands so I can copy them over. Thanks to everyone for getting this to work and it sounds like so much fun!
Closed Thread