Lt. Commander
# 31
01-30-2010, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistance View Post
It should have been done like this, only slightly modified to make it work for an MMO.

Watch from 6:34 - 7:04 only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QycIUFxRuU

If it was done like that, modified so that you were closer to your ship, travel times were longer (with the traditional star trek warping look of stars passing by) and when you went to a planet in a system you would go to your instance for missions, IT WOULD BE PERFECT.
Erm no. ME2 space travel is a joke and looks rushed so they could get the game out.

It's actually worse that what we have
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-30-2010, 05:41 AM
Nah, ME map doesn't really work with sector space, there was a guy in beta who unpacked the code and was able to remove the grid and "Warp Highways" from sector space so it was much more spacey like. He got banned but his screenshots were great, much better then current. Wonder if I can find em.

Both MEs though, spectacular.
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gam8it View Post
Sector space is fine, it just needs to be accessable "on screen" whilst on your bridge or in another room via a projection like voyager & later enterprises, flying around in a graphical representation makes no sense
I agree with this completely. Right on the mark.
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-30-2010, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
I'm not content with it. I don't agree that the Mass Effect 2 one works for STO either. If the Planetary systems were floating against a starscape background, then sector space would make sense. But the grid, blue pathways, and lollipops are stupid. That stuff should be in an astrometrics view or something. Put it on the map for telling your helmsman where to set course.

Sector space should be nothing more than a ship, out in the vastness of space, flying at warp or sitting between star systems. The controls for navigating it should be available from the bridge, or if you prefer, from the sector space view. But switching between them should be a seamless click the button and switch.

The one for ME2 is cool, but it isn't Trek. There's no sense of travel time. Travel time is very much a part of the ST experience, and should be done the right way.

I agree completely. I love STO. I will be with this game for a long time, sector space or not. However, Sector space is really the only thing I wish they would change. Space is so vast and the grid makes me feel boxed in and destroys that illusion of vastness.

Some people seem to be okay with sector space, while others seems to hate it. I am not sure how difficult it would be to give us an option in the settings to be able to toggle sector space on and off for now while other options are considered to improve overall space travel. This could be a temporary fix for now.

There is nothing wrong with making friendly suggestions at the stage. Cryptic does listen to what their fans are saying. And although they can't make every single one of our wishes happen, I am sure they read these forums and take some of our ideas to heart.

However shouldn't there be a separate suggestions forums for posting these ideas? In feedback?
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-30-2010, 06:04 AM
Quote:
It should have been done like this, only slightly modified to make it work for an MMO.

Watch from 6:34 - 7:04 only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QycIUFxRuU

If it was done like that, modified so that you were closer to your ship, travel times were longer (with the traditional star trek warping look of stars passing by) and when you went to a planet in a system you would go to your instance for missions, IT WOULD BE PERFECT.
Mass Effect is a beautiful game but that system would be very bad for a MMO. Particularly one as instanced as this one. Sector space allows you to fly around and look at other players going about their business. that is an important aspect of MMOs
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Rook View Post
EDIT: It was Bioware! I shaould have known! Oh CBS, why didn't you guys get them to do STO????
It might have to do with them working on a different MMO at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-30-2010, 06:21 AM
Guys. Post about this until you explode. Cryptic will never change this. Its already in the game as your main travel system. There is no way in hell these cheap sob's will ever overhaul it. NEVER. I'm not trying to troll or flame, but you might as well face facts. It sucks ass, and you're stuck with it.
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Quote:
I guess you people must be content with flying around in a boring grid? seriously it's like flying around on a chess board.... I guess some people are just content with any kind of garbage that is thrown at them.
At least we ARE happy
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-30-2010, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc4175 View Post
It's actually worse that what we have
Why for you troll me bro
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Two minor changes would get rid of most of the complaints, I think.

One would be to allow players to toggle off the grid and trade route lines, leaving the systems and encounters against a starfield. That seems like an easy change to make and I think it would make at least half of the complaints go away.

A second change would be to toggle the sector space view (with or without grid) either from the bridge (probably not as easy to do) or, probably easier, toggle an overlay of the player sitting in the astrometrics lab looking at the sector space grid "in the background" (which is where sector space comes from .. it's actually *very* much Star Trek canon, but not from the perspective of a camera looking at the ship in space (that's what you have when you are in the instances in systems), but rather from the perspective of the astrometrics lab).

If these changes were made I think people would be happier with sector space.

ME2's space system wouldn't work well for Star Trek -- no real sense of travel time or vastness of space. The whole idea in ME2 is to get you from A to B as quickly as possible so you can get back to shooting stuff.