Lt. Commander
# 41
01-30-2010, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistance View Post
It should have been done like this, only slightly modified to make it work for an MMO.

Watch from 6:34 - 7:04 only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QycIUFxRuU

If it was done like that, modified so that you were closer to your ship, travel times were longer (with the traditional star trek warping look of stars passing by) and when you went to a planet in a system you would go to your instance for missions, IT WOULD BE PERFECT.
Never seen that before but agreed

Loading times between every single map are killing this game, to me.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-30-2010, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilbo View Post
Never seen that before but agreed

Loading times between every single map are killing this game, to me.
But getting rid of those would require major surgery -- that won't happen. The core design of the game is heavy instancing, which means load screens.
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-30-2010, 05:52 AM
Whenever I see a clip from Mass Effect 2 I cry inside just a little at the opportunity missed for STO.
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-30-2010, 06:20 AM
Quote:
It should have been done like this, only slightly modified to make it work for an MMO.

If it was done like that, modified so that you were closer to your ship, travel times were longer (with the traditional star trek warping look of stars passing by) and when you went to a planet in a system you would go to your instance for missions, IT WOULD BE PERFECT.
Awful Idea. Sorry but I have to say it as it is.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-30-2010, 06:21 AM
I would absolutely hate to have that
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-30-2010, 06:30 AM
The ME2 space travel they can keep. I would however love to be able to run around inside my ship like ME2 allows.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-30-2010, 06:32 AM
It looks ugly. Nice job Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-30-2010, 06:35 AM
This is where Cryptic got the idea for sector space from: http://www.hyperwarp.com/imgs/im000224.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:

Based on what you've just described, that's not much different than sector space.

I would like to see a better galaxy map, and I'm really not sold on the concept of sector space. Main problems I see with it aren't necessarily the visual aspects -- the problems are that when you visit a Star System, you're really visiting a planetary system. There's no freedom to visit other planets (needs more content), nor can you just go to a Star/Planetary System if there's no mission there. I don't know how they'd change that and still have there be missions in the same way, but I'd really like the choice to head to more planets, go to others in the same system (just for fun/orbit/view the scenery if nothing else), and not be restricted to "oh, I can't even stop in this star system because there's no mission there".

Visually, sector space could use more work, but really it could just use more places to go. I mean, you're flying by hundreds of star systems like every minute in the game, but you can only stop at like 4 of them in a whole sector, and then only if you've actually got a mission? Needs work.
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Some of you people think im saying STO should adopt ME2's system EXACTLY as it does... im NOT saying that at all. I'm saying that it was done like that, but MODIFIED, it would be perfect. Specifically by making travel times longer, with closer view to ship w/ stars passing by while in warp. And perhaps a few other modifications to it, but the basic idea is there.