Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 51
01-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Rook View Post
Wow.


I am blown away!

I have not heard of this Mass Effect game before, but that felt more Trek like than STO does! It so realistic too! I may have to get that when I grow bored with STO. No offense to Crptic, but those guys who did ME2 really did a good job! Imagine if they did STO? sigh


EDIT: It was Bioware! I shaould have known! Oh CBS, why didn't you guys get them to do STO????
Probably because they were developing SW:TOR
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 52
01-30-2010, 01:39 PM
idk I'm one of the guys who's in the middle, I like sector space in the fact I can plot my own course, but I hate trying to hunt down a system thats 5 sectors away. I do think something new would be nice but at the same time I can live with whats given to me. I do wonder why the ships have a Crusing Warp and a Maximum Warp since everything is done with load times, makes no sense to have a Crusing Warp speed if travel is done with 10 seconds worth of load time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 53
01-30-2010, 01:45 PM
The video looks almost exactly the same to me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 54
01-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistance View Post
It should have been done like this, only slightly modified to make it work for an MMO.

Watch from 6:34 - 7:04 only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QycIUFxRuU


If it was done like that, modified so that you were closer to your ship, travel times were longer (with the traditional star trek warping look of stars passing by) and when you went to a planet in a system you would go to your instance for missions, IT WOULD BE PERFECT.
Yea no
If I want mass effect I will buy mass effect, and really I would prefer sector space how it is. it seems like were traveling a long distance, not the fast kiddy time mass effect is doing. ( granted that's just my opinion )
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 55
01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
While the graphics and all look amazing, I can foresee a whole host of problems with a map like that. Animation times would a be resource hound and make it slower than what we've got happening now. I can only shudder if you throw in the rest of the game: warping in/out of instances, fleet actions happening, players logging in/out and the nightmare would make everyone throw their machines out the window.

For a Single Player/Machine hosted game it works well for ME/ME2, but when you toss it onto a server hosted MMO, you are introducing a whole world of hurt and trouble that no one wants to see.

What we have is fine for now and maybe we'll see some improvement when they've gotten past the first couple of free upgrades, but lets not look back and say what they should have done but look forward and see what can be done to make it look like that in the future.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 56
01-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Rook View Post
Wow.


I It was Bioware! I shaould have known! Oh CBS, why didn't you guys get them to do STO????
Because they are making a Star Wars MMO instead
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 57
01-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reon View Post
idk I'm one of the guys who's in the middle, I like sector space in the fact I can plot my own course, but I hate trying to hunt down a system thats 5 sectors away. I do think something new would be nice but at the same time I can live with whats given to me. I do wonder why the ships have a Crusing Warp and a Maximum Warp since everything is done with load times, makes no sense to have a Crusing Warp speed if travel is done with 10 seconds worth of load time.
I don't see why you can't look through a list of other systems in the system list tab. Missions sort of end up like:

"Go help the Vendarens in the Protaro System in the Althuli sector..." (sometimes it'll show the Sector Block name)

So then you go to the quadrant map and look painfully for the Althuli sector, which is apparently part of the Drogotha Sector Block, then look for where you are, see that you'll have to go through 2 other sector blocks to get there, move your ship to that you think you'll be heading to the next Sector Block and engage. Then, once you get to the next Sector Block, you have to bring up the map again, re-orient yourself (because you might have loaded in a different part of the Sector Block than you expected), re-orient and engage, then repeat...

It's a convoluted process, and if nothing else it could be simplified with a simple system search capability or a system list by Sector Block, then allow you to be like "go there" and it auto-pilots your butt to that system. I mean, most modern MMO's have this capability when traveling, great distances.

I don't terribly mind doing it the way it is now, but it could certainly be better.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 58
01-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
Yea no
If I want mass effect I will buy mass effect, and really I would prefer sector space how it is. it seems like were traveling a long distance, not the fast kiddy time mass effect is doing. ( granted that's just my opinion )
Apparentely you did not read the rest of my post. Why are people continually stuck on that I'm saying it should be EXACTLY like ME2.... I'm saying a modified version with travel times longer/closer to ship w/ stars warping/and other modifications, but the basic idea is there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 59
01-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistance View Post
Apparentely you did not read the rest of my post. Why are people continually stuck on that I'm saying it should be EXACTLY like ME2.... I'm saying a modified version with travel times longer/closer to ship w/ stars warping/and other modifications, but the basic idea is there.
So you're looking for more of a three-quarters view of your ship and a "click to go here" interface rather than 3rd-person view for your ship where you steer it, but otherwise the speed of your ship going through space is fine -- is that correct?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 60
01-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicebe View Post
So you're looking for more of a three-quarters view of your ship and a "click to go here" interface rather than 3rd-person view for your ship where you steer it, but otherwise the speed of your ship going through space is fine -- is that correct?
No, i never said that. I'm just talking about the basic layout of how ME2 does Galaxy --> area in the Galaxy w/ solar systems, etc. ----> solar systems ---> planet ---> enter planet/starbase instance for mission.

How you move about between each one can be changed to fit STO with 3rd person view of ship where you steer your ship and add in stars warping.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:00 AM.