Lt. Commander
# 71
01-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistance View Post
No, i never said that. I'm just talking about the basic layout of how ME2 does Galaxy --> area in the Galaxy w/ solar systems, etc. ----> solar systems ---> planet ---> enter planet/starbase instance for mission.

How you move about between each one can be changed to fit STO with 3rd person view of ship where you steer your ship and add in stars warping.
I'd agree with that; I think everyone is already on-board with the whole galactic hierarchy idea -- everyone's been saying that since the game was announced. I think the galactic map to lower levels could be much more useful if it were varying layers of zoom in/out. The flat picture map of the galaxy as it is now is sort of weak, but I think that's more of a limitation of the engine they have than anything. If it's got to be a top-down map of that nature, I'd much rather have a Supreme Commander sort of map system -- zoom all the way out for quadrant/galactic view, then zoom in to sector/sector block, then zoom in further to local space/whatever system you're in. Homeworld 2 also had a great system for navigation that was similar for larger zoomed-out view (but that was still localized to the system/planet, but could be tweaked for at least sector view).

Anyways, I just don't like the map system more than anything -- the sector space view isn't even that bad, but the raster map zooming for sector, then another for quadrant, just seems so 1998 compared to how it should be done more intuitively these days, but again this is all pretty minor at this point
Lt. Commander
# 72
01-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
I'm gonna have to go with.....

i don't support the OP's opinion that the ME2 method is in any way better than STO's. It looks lame, the controls are seemingly juvenile and wouldn't fit in my opinion.

I believe Sector Space needs some work, but the basics of its design are good. A seemless galaxy would be great and who knows what the future will bring, but it won't bring ME2's method i'm sure

The ME2 method I'm talking about that should be adopted IS the basic design, not the point and click method nor the controls or far out view from ship or time it takes to travel or anything like that... just the basic design of :

Galaxy ----> (sector area in galaxy that has solar systems/etc ----> Solar system ----> Planets/sun ----> go to planet/starbase/etc for instance to mission.
Lt. Commander
# 73
01-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gam8it View Post
Sector space is fine, it just needs to be accessable "on screen" whilst on your bridge or in another room via a projection like voyager & later enterprises, flying around in a graphical representation makes no sense
Exactly what I wanted. I want to be able to sit on my bridge and warp where I want to go. Warp times could be the same as in sector when you auto pilot. Remeber the space travel in that old sega genesis STO game...you had to acess the conn station, select a star system and go. perfectly done
Lt. Commander
# 74
01-30-2010, 02:26 PM
/10 char..... (can't delete this post)
Lt. Commander
# 75
01-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windhunter View Post
if you like that space map so much. go play mass effect 2 and leave the rest of us alone. we are perfectly content with sector space.
Don't speak for everyone, because I certainly am not content with sector space, it frankly sucks.

Though I don't exactly like the OP's version too much either, it reminds me too much of Star Control II. That being said, I think it DOES illustrate exactly whats missing from our sector space: a transition to inter-system view of solar systems. Right now, solar systems are just stupid grahpics, they may as well be big glowing X's in the current implementation. If flying into one would transition you to a sub-sector space view showing all the objects located in a star system as seperate potential destinations, the level of interest would grow exponentially in sector space view. Heck, it may even lead to some.. dare I say, exploration in the sector space view, checking out what is visible in various star systems, etc. All while using the system thats currently in place, too.
Lt. Commander
# 76
01-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Quote:
It should have been done like this, only slightly modified to make it work for an MMO.

Watch from 6:34 - 7:04 only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QycIUFxRuU

If it was done like that, modified so that you were closer to your ship, travel times were longer (with the traditional star trek warping look of stars passing by) and when you went to a planet in a system you would go to your instance for missions, IT WOULD BE PERFECT.

EDIT: As people seems to be COMPLETELY confused.... Here is what I mean with what STO should adopt.

ME2 does Galaxy --> area in the Galaxy w/ solar systems, etc. ----> solar system ---> planet ---> enter planet/starbase instance for mission.

How you move betwen each one can be adopted for STO, w/ 3rd person view of ship and being able to control ship just like it is now. Obviously, travel times would need to be a bit bigger and the galaxy probably a bit bigger as well.
Wow!. That was pretty impressive. That's how it should be with STO. I might have to look into getting that game
Lt. Commander
# 77
01-30-2010, 02:28 PM
It's better for sure. But we got what we got.
Lt. Commander
# 78
01-30-2010, 02:31 PM
No thanks, don't like it.
Lt. Commander
# 79
01-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Quote:
The ME2 method I'm talking about that should be adopted IS the basic design, not the point and click method nor the controls or far out view from ship or time it takes to travel or anything like that... just the basic design of :

Galaxy ----> (sector area in galaxy that has solar systems/etc ----> Solar system ----> Planets/sun ----> go to planet/starbase/etc for instance to mission.
ie. more loading screens?
Lt. Commander
# 80
01-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
ie. more loading screens?
No more than there is now. In such a system the only loading screens you would encounter are on leaving sector space. What they are proposing is really just an extra layer of depth to sector space itself, you wouldn't load between them, just like they don't in his video.