Lt. Commander
# 1 Tremendously impressed.
01-30-2010, 03:46 AM
Ok so I was one of the players who had a lot of problems in beta. Stuttering, lag, bugs, you name it. I was really bummed out because I couldn't play it as well as I wanted to, and was kinda cynical about how it would be on launch day, since there was mere days in between the beta and the headstart.

I was expecting random server crashes, buggy play, LAG!

Yesterday I had none of this.

Aside from the authentication servers being down for the first 10 minutes, once I logged in, it really got good.

Before you psychos start snapping about how wrong I am, this was MY experience:

No lag whatsoever server-side.
I swear they made optimizations because in beta my game was running around 55 - 60 fps, now it's more like 75 - 90.
For some reason, the combat seems more fluid (perhaps this was a beta symptom?)
THE SERVERS DID NOT CRASH ONCE. Granted, I did get 'Server not responding' once in a while, and only for a few seconds, but it was almost seamless for me, all day.

I have never been in a game at launch that was online and did not have servers crash. It does ALL the time with WoW, it does with FPS games, it even has happened with less popular games that don't even have high server traffic. It did not with STO.

I played from 1PM EST yesterday to 12:30AMEST without a single hitch, and I loved it. The most fun I've had in years, in ANY game. I was going to wait to see the final product before deciding to subscribe, but I've decided now. Thanks Cryptic!

My only regret is that I did not book this weekend off work.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 03:52 AM
I really like the game in beta and after, my only concern yesterday was on the trial missions where you get your firts BO i didnt transport, turns out you have to run through the archway and back in, the symbols then appear above the heads and it works... i put this down to lag, or so many ppl trying to log.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 03:52 AM
Mine actually ran worse than OB did but not by much. I never had rubberbanding in OB but I had some last night during a few of my ground missions. Still nothing like I used ot see in CO. Had a couple of lagged out moments in space. Over all it is nothing I would complain about on opening day of the server.
Lt. Commander
# 4 Had a good day
01-30-2010, 04:03 AM
I had a good day of gaming. Lots of fun, and lots of friends made. Nothing could be better!

I did, however, have the worst issue of rubber banding I have EVER had in a game, including CoH and CO around ... 1400ish Pacific time and lasting for an hour or so. I can only assume it was due to the traffic load. So, I took a nap! Got back on 2 hours later and you'd never known it. It wasn't continuous and happened mostly in Kindjer system, but also in Pico system.

Wonderful launch - had a blast!
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 04:07 AM
Except for the Borg Captain issue, this was hands down the smoothest launch of any game I have played.
A little rubber-banding and some lag, but most games that have been on for years get that if they have high population. Good job Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 04:17 AM
I agree, i was very impressed, everytime i beamed to my ship i was bracing myself to be stuck as an avatar falling through space for 5 minutes but it didn't happen once
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 04:21 AM
I didn't have a single problem during Open Beta, but now I seem to get some minor lag issues. Maybe its just my ill luck? Probably.

Either way, still satisfied with the game, though I do wish I could have done the Head Start with my Pre Order goodies.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 04:23 AM
Yup, I was hugely impressed with the, paid beta, oops I mean the head start (calm down, that was a joke!) - i had just one load glitch (for about 5 mins) over the space of a very long session leveling up to 7, and with everything maxed out on sound and video, it ran like a charm, smooth as silk. For day one of an MMO, that's an impressive feat. Well done Cryptic.

Al
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 04:31 AM
Well I'm shocked, after almost 3 weeks of 24/7 beta testing and 2 gig of patches the game had a good launch.

Who would have a guessed ? Maybe the whine testers will even be impressed
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteis View Post
Ok so I was one of the players who had a lot of problems in beta. Stuttering, lag, bugs, you name it. I was really bummed out because I couldn't play it as well as I wanted to, and was kinda cynical about how it would be on launch day, since there was mere days in between the beta and the headstart.

I was expecting random server crashes, buggy play, LAG!

Yesterday I had none of this.

Aside from the authentication servers being down for the first 10 minutes, once I logged in, it really got good.

Before you psychos start snapping about how wrong I am, this was MY experience:

No lag whatsoever server-side.
I swear they made optimizations because in beta my game was running around 55 - 60 fps, now it's more like 75 - 90.
For some reason, the combat seems more fluid (perhaps this was a beta symptom?)
THE SERVERS DID NOT CRASH ONCE. Granted, I did get 'Server not responding' once in a while, and only for a few seconds, but it was almost seamless for me, all day.

I have never been in a game at launch that was online and did not have servers crash. It does ALL the time with WoW, it does with FPS games, it even has happened with less popular games that don't even have high server traffic. It did not with STO.

I played from 1PM EST yesterday to 12:30AMEST without a single hitch, and I loved it. The most fun I've had in years, in ANY game. I was going to wait to see the final product before deciding to subscribe, but I've decided now. Thanks Cryptic!

My only regret is that I did not book this weekend off work.

I played yesterday for 7 1/2 hours straight. On a liter of Diet Coke and a microwave pizza. I got up today an hour before downtime was over and got a quart of coffee ready.

So... I concur.

BTW, nice head.