Lt. Commander
# 1 SWG my mmo launch comparison
01-30-2010, 05:16 AM
I always compare my new MMO experiences to the launch of SWG which was shaky. You had to walk all over the planets and it took forever to get anywhere. Then all of a sudden there was a patch for vehicles. Wow what an improvement. Then there was a patch for player housing and player cities. Then there were patches for all these improvements until a new team came in and destroyed it. But SWG gave me a basis for what a new MMO can become. Because in SWG's hayday it was one of the hottest MMO's to ever come out. I see alot of the same with this game. SO I say never worry this game is ahead of where SWG was and it will be a great game.

Plus I cant really use any other game. WOW had to many subscribers at first so to compare it to wow would be futile. Cant compare it to EQ because EQ has a big following for longer than any other MMO. Cant compare it to CoH or CoV because well I dont get a cape. In 6 months this game will either be sitting on life support for the next 10 years or they will patch the hell out of it to bring out the good stuff. Im going the patch route.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 05:26 AM
What bothers me is, if Cryptic had fallen on their faces during this launch, you would see them blasted all over the web... They had a great day yesterday as far as I am concerned. The server was stable and everything worked with just a few exceptions. The login server is amazingly fast. So, where are all the posts applaudinng the headstart launch? I say to the devs. Grats guys on a great game. You all did a fine job and you deserve to be applauded. Here is mine. WELL DONE.. !!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 05:30 AM
SWg was just a good damn game. I base all new mmo's off of SWG, why i am never satisfied and often quit after a few months of playing. SWG had it all and never stopped adding.

If STO does the same as SWG, STO will be a dominant force on the game market.

TO bad Lucas Arts had to screw SWG up. I just hope Cryptic doesnt go the same route as SWG :/ I played since launch on Intrepid server for 5 years. Had fun, made many new friends, and just well worth every penny i paid. I hope i get the same feel out of STO because ST universe is just so vast and has so much detail. The potential for a ST mmo is off the charts, and if done right will blow any mmo out of the water.

So far im kind of happy, though it lacks lots of "features" swg had ( player houses, player vendors, better crafting, more planetary exploration, etc......) But hey its new and should be given time to mature and develope into the great mmo i think it will be.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 05:46 AM
That would mean, with market attrition, that WoW would be on life support for decades to come, if not centuries.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasmar45 View Post
What bothers me is, if Cryptic had fallen on their faces during this launch, you would see them blasted all over the web... They had a great day yesterday as far as I am concerned. The server was stable and everything worked with just a few exceptions. The login server is amazingly fast. So, where are all the posts applaudinng the headstart launch? I say to the devs. Grats guys on a great game. You all did a fine job and you deserve to be applauded. Here is mine. WELL DONE.. !!!!!
What happened was that all the people who were posting new threads were the complainers, so when Cryptic had a good launch, they had nothing to post about (besides lifetime borg, which is fixed), and the people who applaud the launch are smart enough not to make 10,000 threads about it and keep it to a couple
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 06:05 AM
It's certainly been a good launch for me. All the bugs I saw in Beta have been fixed and the User Interface has been tweaked a bit. Add in a sprinkling of Spock's voice here and there and it's a fairly nice presentation too. I do agree that there are more features that should be introduced though. I would definitely like to see more ship interiors - as well as the bridge maybe a ready room or conference lounge that would serve for Fleet meetings. Put in some consoles so maybe we can bid on the exchange while we're still in deep space and pick up our goods when we get back to Sol. And how about some markets on other planets where you can find weapons and stuff that you can't get anywhere else.

I'd definitely like to be able to explore more on the ground, not just in combat but in pure exploration of somewhere beautiful and fantastic. I'd like to see Indiana Jones style journeys where you get loot at the end. I dunno. We spend ages making our characters at the beginning only to stuff them inside a starship for most of the show.

Anyways, I'm enjoying it and looking forward to the future of STO! I hope others are too!
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 06:10 AM
It's been a good launch. That said I've still seen bugs. Cryptic still has some way to go before I would normally consider STO ready for retail. But its still a really fun game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronykle View Post
I always compare my new MMO experiences to the launch of SWG which was shaky. You had to walk all over the planets and it took forever to get anywhere. Then all of a sudden there was a patch for vehicles. Wow what an improvement. Then there was a patch for player housing and player cities. Then there were patches for all these improvements until a new team came in and destroyed it. But SWG gave me a basis for what a new MMO can become. Because in SWG's hayday it was one of the hottest MMO's to ever come out. I see alot of the same with this game. SO I say never worry this game is ahead of where SWG was and it will be a great game.

Plus I cant really use any other game. WOW had to many subscribers at first so to compare it to wow would be futile. Cant compare it to EQ because EQ has a big following for longer than any other MMO. Cant compare it to CoH or CoV because well I dont get a cape. In 6 months this game will either be sitting on life support for the next 10 years or they will patch the hell out of it to bring out the good stuff. Im going the patch route.
i was from the bloodfin server, and i also had a character on chilastra...which were you on?
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 06:13 AM
Quote:
I agree I had a wonderful experence yesterday.......so wonderful in fact that I went lifer when i got done last night.....I agree with the above. there seemed to be a group out there all week wanting cryptic to fall on its face, Criptic didnt so now there will be posts picking this apart and that apart. you would think that they would get tired of it after all, but I suppose a troll has gotta be a troll
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Um, were you even here yesterday?
The Effing server CRASHED 7 minutes into launch!
Not to mention the millions of things that should have been fixed, but weren't...
I could go on and on but fanbois like yourself will simply ignore reality, mas turbate furiously over the sleek lines of your new ship, and forget all about the many, MANY problems this game has and will continue to have.
Suffice to say, that SWG's launch went a lot smoother than STO's and look what happened to that game...
'Nuff said.