Lt. Commander
# 1 Soulbound...equipment?
01-30-2010, 05:52 AM
Well, this concept strikes me as a bit weird. I saw it and went "WoW, bound starship components." What, once you install it in your ship, nobody wants to repaint it?

Soulbound stuff is okay in WoW, because there's magic in the air, and things you get can be magically bound to your magically unique soul of magic and wonder. Because of the magic.

As farpoint [drum sting] as I know, the stuff you tack into your Federation regulation starship isn't magic.

The only way I could see something thematically being "bound" to an individual in the Star Trek universe is as follows:

"Starfleet: We've intercepted a distress call from GenericScientist1673.

You: The light of Justice will shine!

Starfleet: Go out to his super secret starbase and see.

You: Okay!

[You fly out, fight stuff in orbit, beam down, fight through raiders from civilization X (where X = bad news bad guys), encountering piles of dead helpless innocent scientist bodies along the way. You rescue Mr. GenericScientist1673 in the nick of space/time.]

GenericScientist1673: I was researching advanced science stuff with weapons! Can you help me with my research?

You: ...sure!

GenericScientist1673: Hurrah! You will have to fly to 5 different exotic nebulae to get weird gasses and metals and fight the totally hostile native flora and fauna and bring them back here so I can put them in my glowing science beams.

You: [three real-life days later] Here you go, doc.

GenericScientist1673: All right! *high five* There's still a lot of work to be done, but you can have the Prototype.

You: Sweet! Those proty-tipe things are always the BEST in the show!

Starfleet: Hrm...well, I guess you can keep it, but ONLY YOU are allowed to use it, m'kay? It hasn't been tested and approved by MISPWOSO.

You: Haha! I'm a space ninja!"

If this process doesn't take place, all you have is another starship component. Arbitrarily binding things to characters without even a pseudoscientific reason messes with my Trekkie Tao.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 05:58 AM
I have to say I agree with this. I'd like to be able to sell some of the better equipment once I out grow it, or send it to a lower level character to get some use out of it, otherwise it just goes to waste, though I'm not surprised equipment binding was included in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 05:59 AM
cryptic thought there was still a slight chance their game with 5 useless currencies could get a working auction house economy, so to fix this they decided to make it so the only things you can sell are things nobody wants.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 06:04 AM
Personally I like soulbound items in an MMO. Keeps the currency buyers from being able to get everything.

Think about it. Do you really want the person who spends upteen dollars via illegal channels to be the most geared person in the game?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabasquaia View Post
Personally I like soulbound items in an MMO. Keeps the currency buyers from being able to get everything.

Think about it. Do you really want the person who spends upteen dollars via illegal channels to be the most geared person in the game?
And this is why Cryptic implemented it. While I may want to be able to sell the stuff and send it to my lower level characters, I completely understand the need for binding equipment.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 06:14 AM
No soulbound items means Gold Sellers/Farmers/Spammers ruling the game and unless you buy from them you will never be competitive. IMO all high level items should be soul bound. This game is a 'GAME' and does not reflect real life.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabasquaia View Post

I don't mind binding under the sort of situation I described. That's a personal reward for work.

As for the cash-for-imaginary-objects folks, I suppose the concept bothers me a bit. It bothers me just as much that the most geared people in the game are those who have hours upon hours upon hours to sink into said game whilst others of us are shut out of the top tiers of gameplay because we have to go out and support a family daily.

Why not just make the good stuff readily available for everyone? Special items for special circumstances (like I "described" above). If everyone has reasonable access to everything, and the top-tier items are not so overpowering as to make lower level items and characters wholly irrelevant, I imagine a lot of the "gold farmers" would suffer a frittering online death. Third-world digital-driven economies might groan a bit, but really, where are we at as a civilization when we're paying people to play video games for us, anyway?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 06:21 AM
account bound would be alright i suppose
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Its fine they have these items. In fact, as you level you will loot plenty of items that you wont need to use and that other people will want to buy. For the most part any 'white' item is not worth trying to resell. They are good vendor/replicator trash. Green, Blue etc will sell if you price them right.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfugue
cryptic thought there was still a slight chance their game with 5 useless currencies could get a working auction house economy, so to fix this they decided to make it so the only things you can sell are things nobody wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem170 View Post
No soulbound items means Gold Sellers/Farmers/Spammers ruling the game and unless you buy from them you will never be competitive. IMO all high level items should be soul bound. This game is a 'GAME' and does not reflect real life.
Put these two together and you have your answer. Binding stuff that you buy from a vendor isn't going to stop the gold farmers at all. They'll just sell the currency. The only ways I see to stop this is to either make everything easier for everyone to get while having the best stuff being soulbound from missions/arcs; OR, to make trading currencies between players impossible. And then there would be no need for 5 currencies.

This last option might make it a bit more soul-rending when one rolls an alt, but all it really means is you have to actually play your alt.

As far as this game reflecting 'real life' I don't want it to reflect real life, I want it to reflect Star Trek. I don't want it to be just another WoW or City of Heroes with Star Trek skin plastered over it, I'd like as much authenticity as possible (without compromising the integrity of the game, which I acknowledge is a very important element). I'm just fielding some suggestions and concerns.