Lt. Commander
# 101
01-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltec
Thanks mate. That's a nice "gameboard" for STO, worth exploring in an Excelsior class ship.

Filling such gameworld with content progresively would have been much more feasible than changing its core at this point, which is what it would need to improve this aspect of the game. Pitty.
Lt. Commander
# 102
01-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DSKULL View Post
IDK i would like you to elaborate more on this? becasue you had fulll 3d motion you could click straight down and fly that way or up.. you had solar systems measured in Actual AU which is 150million km per au,, the warp points were beacon oriented cause it was huge and vast wandering was done but would take ages. So you needed probes to make safe spots or to drop waypoints inbetween jump points. The game very much captured the majesty of space so im very confused as to what you mean?? The combat was more about strategy and team play than anything, solo pvp was also there too for a long time lets not forget the good old Blasterthron. In its hayday a ship to be feared.
You simply misread me, I said EVE captures the majesty of space better than STO does. STO really doesn't even try.

The problems I had with eve were all gampley related. It got boring, the skill system sucked, the game essentially revolved around griefing, etc. The actual environment that the game took place in however, is second to none, and definitely feels way more like space.
Lt. Commander
# 103
01-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousBrad

4) In Star Trek Online, there's an actual story going on, involving the NPCs, that affects you. "Sandbox" MMOs like EVE "where the players create the story" end up being "where the players recreate clique versus clique nastiness from junior high school."* In a "theme park" MMO like Star Trek Online, I get some actual story written by professional writers with my pew-pew-pew.
A snippit of part of the eve online backstory. All of these events happened and those two destroyed stations can be seen in game right now along with the fleet blocading caldari prime.

BBC news coverage of an eve online incident that was entirely player made.
Lt. Commander
# 104 Yes quite different
01-30-2010, 01:44 PM
I just want to feel important by posting I could care less what anyone thinks about what I THINK about eve and Star Trek.

Shapoopee....
Lt. Commander
# 105
01-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousBrad
Hear, hear. One of the biggest blights on the MMO industry is the swarm of people who come out of Their Favorite MMO because they're bored with it and want more, who flood the forums of every MMO newly released or in development and demand that it be exactly like Their Favorite MMO. If you're here because you want more EVE than CCP has built for you? GO HOME.

I played a month and a half of EVE, and was bored to tears. Thank Prime that:

1) In Start Trek Online, you actually see the other ship; combat takes place at a range of 0.1 to 10 kilometers. It bored me to tears that in EVE Online, where typical combat range is 40 to 100 kilometers, the enemy is represented by a tiny, tiny little "X" on your screen, because at that range, their actual ship is invisible, and a targeting icon (that never moves or changes) at the top of your screen, and a line on a spreadsheet.

2) In Star Trek Online, battle damage actually shows on your ship and on the enemy ship -- yet another way in which in EVE, nothing ever actually changes on your screen.

3) In Star Trek Online, you actually fly your ship and fire your weapons. In EVE Online, you set auto-orbit and your preferred range, set all weapons to auto-fire, and hope you win.

4) In Star Trek Online, there's an actual story going on, involving the NPCs, that affects you. "Sandbox" MMOs like EVE "where the players create the story" end up being "where the players recreate clique versus clique nastiness from junior high school."* In a "theme park" MMO like Star Trek Online, I get some actual story written by professional writers with my pew-pew-pew. But most of all ...

5) In Star Trek Online, it's all play. Because of EVE Online's harsh-consequences death penalty, most players have an in-game job that they work at more hours per week than they spend actually playing the fun part, in order to save up enough money to cover their losses when fighting enemies that have any chance of destroying them. You grind away asteroid mining, or you grind away at NPC pirate ships enough lower level than yourself that you can't lose to them, or you grind away at the market, for four hours a night, five nights in a row, to save up enough credits to buy the ships and hardware that you'll lose in a couple of hours of PvP on Saturday.

If you came here hoping this game would be just like EVE Online, only with content you haven't seen yet, because CCP isn't releasing new content often enough for you? I'm glad you don't like it.

- - - - -
* Footnote: In my experience, America is divided into two kinds of people. There are those people for whom junior high school, grades 6-8, age 12-14, was the best-ever time of their lives, who wish they'd never left junior high school, and who use any power vested in them to make grown-up life as much like junior high school as they can possibly manage. And then there are the rest of us, their victims.
A month in and a half haha go home you prolly didnt even make 5mil sp,, you had no clue what eve was. People are not saying they want STO to be eve they are saying The good elements of space games and the immerssion level should be carried over from other games that why re invent the wheel when something works.

1. eve did use the hud to fly but you clearly have not been in many battles if you believe its just X's

2. nope battle damage was added later on but not everything was perfect STO hopefully will have something new to offer hopefully more than battle damage.

3. well you can see they borrowed the ship configuration sysem from eve in a certain sense but setups are far more limited. In eve you actually flew yer ship ever fly a nano ship? oh wait you didnt have the skills to fly anything other than a noob ship a t1 frig and maybe a t1 cruiser. oh yea and a t1 destroyer.

4. acutally eve had a very indepth story if you watch any of the videos the amarrian cutlure and many other aspects of it. The players did create the story too. Junior high welcome to online will always be brats fighting and arguing its called smack talk. Atleast in EVE if somone smack talks you and says nasty stuff. you can put them to the test and take them for a few round in war or catchem in low sec they are not safe to just mouth off.

5. eve required innovation and ability. It was not an instant gratification game it took brains ambition and some sense of a plan. As should be in any game getting going was always the hard part, but had you played more than a month in half you would know this. I used to make over a billion a month cuasually with my inventor character never doing much more than crafting ships and keeping my station,, yes my station. OH wait you dont get stations in STO....

The problem is people get on thier soap box and moan at the people who say yeah i saw this and i liked it, it should be considered to be added. they reply with comments like i played that game for 10 minutes i am an "expert" so now i can stand up and say yer wrong for saying you enjoyed this feature and want to see it or something similiar in the new game.

And you must be in that bracked of grown up right? well i think maybe you should master or atleast experience it before you go commenting on how people have not basis for commenting in comparision. Oh BTW its nice to see a thread where STO WHICH IS A SPACE GAME. not being compared to WOW which it has nothing in common with other than its an MMO.

thank you NOw GO HOME!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 106 OH and another thing!!
01-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Eve (bust shot is all of the character you see)
STO (Bust is adjustable and you can see EVERYTHING!!!

:p shikabaumbaum:p
Lt. Commander
# 107
01-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
You simply misread me, I said EVE captures the majesty of space better than STO does. STO really doesn't even try.

The problems I had with eve were all gampley related. It got boring, the skill system sucked, the game essentially revolved around griefing, etc. The actual environment that the game took place in however, is second to none, and definitely feels way more like space.
We are in the same train. Cheers.
Lt. Commander
# 108
01-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Used to play eve for a few years after it was released, then joined wow when that started / leaving eve.. I went back to it a few months ago, and tbh i just hated it. As others have said It's realistic in the decisions you make, the entire economy is driven by players, and if you want a realistic as it gets space sim eve's a good call.

Sadly some of us dont like spending hrs on end staring at an astroid or doing the same old missions over and over. only to get a ship, set off get killed and loose 70% of its value because you couldnt afford the 30mil isk / per week insurance which you'd never be able to earn had you been out and about pew pew-ing things.

STO as far as i see it is a safer option, and one that i wont simply turn the PC off or uninstall the game and cacnel my subscriptions because of the realities it implies upon you.
Lt. Commander
# 109
01-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post

My bad i did misread you then But i could never get bored in eve was always something to do. Missions, invention,mining, building, selling, trading, PVP,exploration. Sometimes politicing the possabilities were endless. EVE's biggest fault was its has a big learning curve and the mistakes are not forgivable. Make some mistakes on yer skills and u pay for it,, it can take months to repair. But lets talk about a brilliant system to keep players going but with the skill system. Look at it this way, the kid or retiree who sits at home all day grinding wont get ahead of you while u work and take care of the family cause your both training skills. the time is the time and you wont find those with massively more time with more skillls. Just more ships they often couldnt use. There was alot of greifing,, but then I was an antipirate i greifed the pirate who played on the weak.

I also corned a system in empire that was low security and opened it up for the noobs and let them safely run mission and protected them for years. The Mofa constellation my corp was well known CCCPinc we would protect those who were greifed often traveling across the galaxy to keep greifed pilots safe. so it was fun we made our own ways. We never charged a dime we never asked for anything and it built a community in those 7 star systems and loyal people. The exprience was second to none. A feeling of a place thats your own.
Lt. Commander
# 110
01-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Why are the eve lovers here if its so great? I dont get it... whyd you leave in the first place?