Lt. Commander
# 41
01-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehaektas
People compares with EVE because there is nothing else.

Nonetheless, forget gameplay, the comparison is not about the gameplay, but about the gameworld. I would pay three lifetime licenses to play a game with STO's combat (all that is fun in STO) in a dynamic, persistent gameworld and with the same scale than the Eve Universe.
Thank You

Thank You

Thank You

Someone that finally gets my point... DAMN
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Occam's Razor.

If you want STO to be more like eve, just go play eve. Please, or I'll have to start stabbing people with logic.

That a metaphorical pun btw, no one will be stabbed and everyone who's a moron will likely still be one 2marrow.......

Wait, I'm not call you all idiots, I'm just saying some times smart people do stupid things like making this post.
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raso
Occam's Razor.

If you want STO to be more like eve, just go play eve. Please, or I'll have to start stabbing people with logic.

That a metaphorical pun btw, no one will be stabbed and everyone who's a moron will likely still be one 2marrow.......

Wait, I'm not call you all idiots, I'm just saying some times smart people do stupid things like making this post.
man your a ****in moron
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momurda View Post
man your a ****in moron
Yes, this is a good examle of one thing I don't like about Eve. I'm glad Eve folks won't like STO; it means they won't be there to pollute the community.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Why do people keep comparing STO with EVE (and no, the excuse that there is nothing else does not count). It is as annoying as every fantasy game out there being compared to WOW. Soon Jump gate Evolution and Black prophecy will be out and i am sure they will be compared to EVE too. why?

Only because these games have a space them doesn't mean they have anything in common. EVE and STO are two different games, stop making comparisons which do not exist.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgiter View Post
Yes, this is a good examle of one thing I don't like about Eve. I'm glad Eve folks won't like STO; it means they won't be there to pollute the community.
Broad generalizations such as this tend to be very unjust. Simply consider that there might be an ex EVE player among the STO dev team. What a paradox then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyx
Why do people keep comparing STO with EVE (and no, the excuse that there is nothing else does not count). It is as annoying as every fantasy game out there being compared to WOW. Soon Jump gate Evolution and Black prophecy will be out and i am sure they will be compared to EVE too. why?

Only because these games have a space them doesn't mean they have anything in common. EVE and STO are two different games, stop making comparisons which do not exist.
EVE is being used merely as a reference, a practical example to easily explain things such as "seamless gameworld", "a vast space", "whole solar systems" and others that are not related to EVE per se, but to the SCI-FI genre in general and Star Trek in particular.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgiter View Post
Agreed.

Not to get into stereotypes, but Eve does appeal to a lot of people who can often be accurately described as being ruthless, cruelly opportunistic, and generally lack as sense of humor.

Eve breads a sort of Darwinist "Every man for himself" mentality where your constantly looking over your shoulder and everyone's a potential enemy, even your closest allies. That's not to say team work isn't important, but many a corp in Eve will flat out turn you down if you don't know what your're doing. The forums lack any form of sympathy for those who don't know what they're doing and fall into misfortune and there form of discussion regarding favorite ships tends revolve around calling who ever likes another ship a fool for enjoying a ship that they deem inferior.

Now there's nothing wrong with that kind of game play as long as it stays game play, but many a Eve gamer are those kinda people before playing Eve. When such incivility becomes the norm in a gaming community and ceases to merely be a RP or game play mechanic, then the gaming community if flawed. ("read: It's a game, not a real war! ")

I guess what it boils down to is people who play STO enjoy Star Trek and many of us are part of previous communities and enjoy having fun and can trust each other (not to say we haven't had our own drama) while Eve Online Gamers want to dominate and subjugate the universe and rule over them with a iron fist and tax them and ruin their health care and replace their planet's ozone layer with heaver, more insulating gases and so one and so forth...

But hey, to each their own I guess. Even if it's at the cost of others I suppose, after all it's their fault for not being better, right?

I don't want to seem like I'm trying to be uninviting to Eve gamers, I think anyone who wants to play STO and has their own thoughts on the game should freely share them. But they should remember there is a difference between STO and Eve Online and not forget that Eve Online is still available to them if they really want to play a game like eve.

Agree that the game is too easy in some respects, and that at times it also seems like the universe is a tad smaller then we'd like it to be, but the game just launched so I doubt that they'll keep only these areas as the only ones in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raso
Agreed.

Not to get into stereotypes, but Eve does appeal to a lot of people who can often be accurately described as being ruthless, cruelly opportunistic, and generally lack as sense of humor.

Eve breads a sort of Darwinist "Every man for himself" mentality where your constantly looking over your shoulder and everyone's a potential enemy, even your closest allies. That's not to say team work isn't important, but many a corp in Eve will flat out turn you down if you don't know what your're doing. The forums lack any form of sympathy for those who don't know what they're doing and fall into misfortune and there form of discussion regarding favorite ships tends revolve around calling who ever likes another ship a fool for enjoying a ship that they deem inferior.

Now there's nothing wrong with that kind of game play as long as it stays game play, but many a Eve gamer are those kinda people before playing Eve. When such incivility becomes the norm in a gaming community and ceases to merely be a RP or game play mechanic, then the gaming community if flawed. ("read: It's a game, not a real war! ")

I guess what it boils down to is people who play STO enjoy Star Trek and many of us are part of previous communities and enjoy having fun and can trust each other (not to say we haven't had our own drama) while Eve Online Gamers want to dominate and subjugate the universe and rule over them with a iron fist and tax them and ruin their health care and replace their planet's ozone layer with heaver, more insulating gases and so one and so forth...

But hey, to each their own I guess. Even if it's at the cost of others I suppose, after all it's their fault for not being better, right?

I don't want to seem like I'm trying to be uninviting to Eve gamers, I think anyone who wants to play STO and has their own thoughts on the game should freely share them. But they should remember there is a difference between STO and Eve Online and not forget that Eve Online is still available to them if they really want to play a game like eve.

Agree that the game is too easy in some respects, and that at times it also seems like the universe is a tad smaller then we'd like it to be, but the game just launched so I doubt that they'll keep only these areas as the only ones in the game.
Thats right folks... share your thoughts just make sure that your thought agree with theres or else... God forbid you actually want a game with some gameplay!!! And for crying out loud DONT SAY EVE!!! Even if its only as a reference point..
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raximillian
There is no debate, EVE and STO are very different. Apples and oranges...

If you have a problem with STO, just say what it is. But if you want it to be like EVE, get out and go to EVE. You already have it there. STO has its flaws (many of them), but not being like EVE is not one of them.
There is no debate. If EVE is so great, go play it.

Being that a great percentage of the players seem to be the ppl that got kicked out of other games for doing things that in EVE are acceptable, which isnt a surprise because even the devs cheat to win in their own game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehaektas
Broad generalizations such as this tend to be very unjust. Simply consider that there might be an ex EVE player among the STO dev team. What a paradox then.
No paradox, if that were the case, they are ex for a reason... because they wanted to make their OWN GAME rather than playing EVE
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momurda View Post
In EVE you feel like you really are in a vast universe.
A very vast and very EMPTY universe. STO's little boxes are loaded with toys in each of them that you can play with.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.