Lt. Commander
# 51
01-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momurda View Post
In EVE no matter how the game is built or played.. In EVE you feel like you really are in a vast universe. When you fly you can feel the distance between points. STO you dont get any of these feelings. i believe that most of the arguements between the 2 games stems from the point that everyone expected to feel the emersion of eve and instead feel ripped off by getting a small cardboard box taped to another that you get a loading screen to get to. THIS IS FREAKING STAR TREK where is my star trek???
EVE jump gates = Star Trek Online instances. It's all the same, except for one GLORIOUS thing.

You been to the Jita system in EVE? The main hub, the Coruscant or Earth of EVE? It's a horrible, terrible lag fest. It's insane. While it's fun to have ships literally stacked up like a New York City highway at 8am, it's at the same time absurdly frustrating.

You been to Earth yet in STO, I presume? Glorious, blissful, and never looks more crowded than the Earth we see in Star Trek television and film. Total immersion. A++ Cryptic, so far, on nailing this.
Lt. Commander
# 52
01-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Quote:
... a small cardboard box taped to another ...
Shouldn't that be "a small cardboard pizza box taped to another" ?

or better yet, when it comes to sectored space, a Tron overlay.

Lt. Commander
# 53
01-30-2010, 11:29 AM
STO is a totally different experience to EVE and I know a lot of ex-eve players who will be migrating to STO to escape the problems that EVE has.

STO is more casual friendly from what I have seen, you don't have to work it like a second job to get anywhere like EVE, but I am sure that some people enjoy that kind of thing, but I want to fly internet space ships and not take a middle management training course to play the game.
Lt. Commander
# 54
01-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Quote:
One last time... I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER EVE.... I want a game that i can emerse myself into like I can in eve. I want space to feel huge and wonderous. (eve space doesnt feel to wonderous to me) but its defently HUGE. STO space feels like a little cramped box. Thats my point right there... Nowhere in STO do i feel like im in a vast open area.
Thank goodness it's the last time. It was clear the first, as were the responses. Woundrous requires artists and writers to create the content. Huge and Woundrous is prohibitively expensive. So play EVE when you want to travel for days in a featureless expanse that is given life by the players in it. Play STO when you want to jump right in to a star trek episode. Cryptic's goal is to make crosses between MMOs and console games in order to appeal to a larger market. Whether they have done a good job or not, it has little or no relation to EVE.

I too wish to explore an endless universe filled with detailed stories and adventures. That only exists in the real world. Computers (and programerd) can't accompish this yet.
Lt. Commander
# 55
01-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
EVE jump gates = Star Trek Online instances. It's all the same, except for one GLORIOUS thing.
It is not the same. You need to understand what instancing is.

Quote:
You been to Earth yet in STO, I presume? Glorious, blissful, and never looks more crowded than the Earth we see in Star Trek television and film. Total immersion. A++ Cryptic, so far, on nailing this.
Then you must remember how many people got stuck in the Earth sector loading screen.

I agree that inside the station it is better to control population. But this rant is about space. Look at the Earth space sector ..., it is a very small box, you need to be careful with the invisible wall just behind the moon. The scale is just too funny. There is no Solar System.

Anyway, I came here to play STO, I am not an EVE fanboy. However some people here tends to put a label on you in the moment you mention the things you think EVE or any other game did right. Too many fanboys, too little honest analysis, if you think STO is perfect then kudos to you.

Just be advised, other games with this same technology and running costs, have been free to play in the past.
Lt. Commander
# 56
01-30-2010, 12:14 PM
I play EVE on 4 accounts. 0.0 exploration there made me so much isk that I have the 4 accounts paid for a veeeery long time using plexes. I considered that I have saved enough $$ by not paying EVE thus allowing me to buy the STO lifetime sub.

I expect some players to leave EVE for STO, mostly because the Dominion expansion ruined a lot in EVE. Also EVE is pretty much hardcore, your ship blows up and all you are left with is ( how in my country we say) " a swollen lip". And the generalized conflicts in EVE after Dominion left a lot of people with "swollen lips". EVE is in total anarchy, and unless CCP releases a pretty good summer expansion, they will be in deep kaka.

STO has the chance to offer an average between EVE and WoW. If Cryptic plays it's cards right, listens to the player base (just as CCP used to do in the first 3-4 years of the game when the best content was developed mostly by TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION THE PLAYERS REQUESTS AND IDEAS) and releases better PVP/Crafting system/Exploration, I see STO as a game to play on the long term, very fun and entertaining.

EVE is unique. STO is unique and has the chance to grow into something wonderful. EVE on the other hand ruined years of great work and progress with the release of one BAD expansion.
Lt. Commander
# 57
01-30-2010, 12:18 PM
As much as I've been bored of EVE and liking STO...
I've been able to log onto EVE.
Lt. Commander
# 58
01-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackbheep View Post
As much as I've been bored of EVE and liking STO...
I've been able to log onto EVE.
Then I guess you missed the big fight in P2-TTL a few days ago.. 1500 vs 1500, crashing the server several times that day, until CCP locked P2-TTL.. At least STO's release went better than some EVE's patches and expansions.
Lt. Commander
# 59
01-30-2010, 12:29 PM
It seems to me most of you guys are missing the point. What he is talking about is immersion factor, and I agree with him. As I said, EVE feels like a real universe and in all honesty community. I really feel like I'm piloting a ship through the vastness of space. Its so immersive, things blueshift and redshift when you are traveling at warp speeds. The space is vast and as close to seamless as you can get. Realistically proportioned, etc.

That is not to say the game isn't a clickfest and super-risk heavy and entirely skill based (a feature I like, actually). But when it comes down to it, which feels like space more? EVE with its persistent universe and incredibly scaled systems? Or STO with its instanced singular planet systems and neon box of a warp travel? Most of the game's mechanics themselves break Star Trek trends and branding even. There is a lot I would have personally done different than Cryptic has to make the game feel like Star Trek's universe more than just a game themed on Star Trek.

Now, I will say this, however. I would rather play Star Trek Online in comparison to EVE. Mainly because of the potential of STO, regardless of how non-Trek it feels, to be a great MMO. It is ten times as fun and involves a subject matter I find more intriguing than a thousand greedy space marines/politicians all fighting for cash (EVE is the economical space version of GTA). But Star Trek doesn't feel like I'm in space, let alone in the Star Trek universe. It could have been WAY more immersive and at the most it is just under WoW in immersion factor, at least for me.
Lt. Commander
# 60
01-30-2010, 12:32 PM
It would be really nice if STO had a more "Real" feeling to flying through sectors but I thought it was just supposed to be a representation of your travel through space at warp speed. Basically I assumed I was watching a tactical map and plotting my course at light speed because you sure wouldn't see much at warp speed. They could still make it look better but it looks like a 3D map so I guess the goal was accomplished.

EVE does really feel like you are traveling through space and that would be kind of nice. I wish EVE bothered to actually have decent missions and story built into the game when I played because all you did were the same old missions over and over. If they made it a little more PVE friendly and story driven inside the game I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more than I did, which was quite a bit since I played for about a year.