Lt. Commander
# 21
01-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterPDX View Post
The board forums are also clogged. I can't even get into the Dev Notes section, it always times out.
This excuse of "we had no idea how popular this would be" no longer flies. They had a very good sense of how overloaded things would get in OB, and now things will get even worse. If your network people cannot reasonably predict server loads by now, fire them.
Excuses from the apologist players:

1) "It's open beta!" ( It was the end of beta which is also "almost release" -- moreso now )

2) "WoW had the same problems" ( WoW was a new MMO, this is Cryptic's THIRD MMO )

3) "They're testing with debug stuff, to make things better" ( Ummm... no. )

4) "They have hardware, but it won't be going in till release." ( DUMB DUMB DUMB even if true, that's why you have testing periods. Change always destablizes things, so max change in test stages, min change in release )

5) "They didn't expect such popularity." ( REALLY?!?! FOR *STAR TREK*? REALLY? Ok, maybe say people sometimes go spontaneously insane or retarded sometimes, we all do, so lets' say thats one of these times. They had months to figure out that by extrapolation their estimates were off. )

I like this game, it's got some good stuff (not a killer yet though) -- but there are some things that could have been avoided, especially by an experienced MMO company. It will do fine, I hope, but people need to remember that the MMO's that are disasters DO FAIL. I don't want STO to fail.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-30-2010, 12:37 PM
My theory is they've all gone for lunch thinking the server is ok, it crashed and doesn't auto-restart itself and they're just now getting back and going wtfomg.

Of course, they're probably just really understaffed and unprepared.

BIG PROBLEM HAPPENS. Your options as the developer are:
1. Fix it. Fast.
2. Fix it. Slow.
3. Bury head in sand.

During any of these options you need to be on the forum telling your paying customers wtf is going on, and that is not happening. Not even having the courtesy to do this last thing is really not reassuring for the future of the game. How much could it cost to hire a forum lackey, anyway?

Sigh.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-30-2010, 12:41 PM
"Currently, the Star Trek Online Server is down. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the server back online as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on this page for updates, and notification when Star Trek Online is available again. Thank you, The Star Trek Online Team The Star Trek Online Team"

On the support page.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-30-2010, 12:44 PM
+1 to posts 21 and 22.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumias View Post
"Currently, the Star Trek Online Server is down. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the server back online as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on this page for updates, and notification when Star Trek Online is available again. Thank you, The Star Trek Online Team The Star Trek Online Team"

On the support page.
Can someone give me a link to where it says this on the support page? Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorago View Post
Can someone give me a link to where it says this on the support page? Thanks.
It's up the top where the previous maintenance message was. If you're still seeing that you may just need to do a hard-reload (Ctrl-Shift-R in Firefox). That will skip your browser cache and get a fresh copy from the server.
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumias View Post
Thank you for that. Also to make sure, Servers ARE down for everyone? I am not not the only one able to not login right? X)
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Yup looks to be down for every one Iwas on earlier and it took 4 minutes to beam out of the station. No surprise, it could be worse! :p
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Well, this is really annoying.
First there was the Steam-problem with redownloading the hole Game, then the freeze-problem with the Loader and after downloading it the 3rd time to get the game started finally... Serverdown!

Fine! I was dumb enough to get the lifetime subscription! So I wonder how Cryptic will compensate for that.

I really don't understand how this (serverdown) could happen. They are not new to that business and even if they were they could have learn from WoW or ****, which had the same problems.

(sorry for my crappy English )