Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2010, 09:04 AM
So... Did they fix MES?
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm sorry but I have to agree that patch notes are a must. I don't like surprises (like the removal of the change instance) and having to hunt around to figure out where things are or why they don't work like they did the last time I logged in.

If that's going to be the norm, I'm not going to play the game. It's annoying to me and it's my money. Cryptic is not 'entitled' to my money I'm allowed to have expectations of a game that I pay for. This ain't beta anymore. We're on paid time now.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Even though I agree with the posts here to an extent, I really think we should cut them some slack at the moment. The load has been intense on them and taking the servers down at 3am PST shows they are constantly working with the game.

Give the guys a break I say.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiandra
they're patching the game WE are PAYING for so its relevant to ME. I guess its not relevant to you as you dont care about the quality of service your paying for with your's or whoever's money but I do.
You have a point, but paying for a product/service doesn't automatically convey you the right to be a big douchebag about every little thing. Maybe try a different tone rather than the "gimmie gimmie gimmie I DEMAND" tone your original post takes. Catch more flies with honey, and all that.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 10:00 AM
As others have said - this was a server stability patch. What could you possibly want more detail on? You don't actually care that there was a small memory leak when players with certain racial traits took flanking damage, or that warping in and out of a system repeatedly caused repeated allocation and deallocation of memory that could be optimized with a bit of careful planning, or that the log files generated by the servers were displaying a value in decimal when it really should have been hex to make it easier to decipher individual errors (I just made each of those up, of course. I'm not a STO dev, just a software dev.) None of that is going to affect your gameplay or your decisions in and out of game, all it will do is take time away from a dev who should be coding another fix instead of wasting their time summarizing the effects of the twenty-seven different checkins that were made to the codebase yesterday.

Game balancing decisions? Yes. I agree those should be communicated, and I think all signs point toward this happening, based on the patch notes we got on the beta. But really, when a hotfix comes down the pipe to fix a tiny crash bug that was introduced by a typo in the previous patch and that 0.1% of the player base was going to hit but never had a chance to because the patch was released so soon? Not a big deal. Cryptic has better things to do than tell you every little thing they're working on.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-30-2010, 10:11 AM
If they are patching aspects of the game that we can directly control or are related to the environment, then yes, patch notes would be greatly appreciated. (Note, I said appreciated. Paying customer or otherwise, it's their game, not yours.) If they decide they don't want to provide them, that's their perogative (good, bad or indifferent). If they do post them, then consider it a bonus.

If the things they are updating are server-side only or related to things that we have no control over or is a behind the scene fix, then just saying so in the announcement is sufficient.

Secondary to this is the fact that patch notes generated for public consumption take a LONG TIME to generate. What we see as a 2 or 3 page document actually starts out at 10-20 pages, mostly of information that the devs need to know, but maybe aren't suitable for public consumption, or is very insignificant. On the last, for example, do you really (and I mean REALLY) want to wade through 2 or 3 pages of patch notes that cover mispelling or grammar corrections? Trimming the minutiae takes a lot of time, and it's usually done by only one person who has other responsibilities. And given that we JUST launched (albeit a pre-launch), there is a lot going on for the folks at Cryptic, and I'm reasonably sure that at this point in the launch, patch notes might be a pretty low priority.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiandra
they're patching the game WE are PAYING for so its relevant to ME. I guess its not relevant to you as you dont care about the quality of service your paying for with your's or whoever's money but I do.

Actually, no you are not paying for the game. What you have and are paying for is a license to posses a specified copy of the game and to install and play the game on one computer and you are paying for access to the servers that have the game running on them. Cryptic owns the game lock stock and barrel, the IP is owned by its owner and they license the IP to Cryptic. A license is a permit to use not proof of ownership. Thus, Cryptic does not have to tell you about patch notes nor do they have to post them.

If you read the license, TOS and UA you might learn something.

I am not a lawyer, you want a legal opinion go pay an Attorney.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-30-2010, 10:38 AM
well if we aren't paying for the game then whats that $60 I paid and the $15 a month I'm going to be paying for? A lifetime subscription to US Weekly? I don't think so, its for the game. Yes I don't own the game and they obviously can change it however they feel. DUH, but all that money is for the game so we can play it. If you want to call it renting or however you want to phrase it then go ahead. But don't disagree based on semantics, its stupid. All I'm asking for is to know what they fixed / changed / nerfed / buffed.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-30-2010, 10:54 AM
The devs mentioned it was a stability patch. Giving out information on what exploits they jsut fixed would be advertising where the exploits can be found. Some technical data simply cannot be communicated, i.e If they fix a section of an ability that is client side they certainly don't want those ton of gold farming kiddie hackers out there to know ay of the ability code is client side.

Are we so picky we need to know every time a game file in the client changes? All the major stuff is server side as it is. I don't want patch notes stating "Changed dimension of Federation UI corner piece #17 from 10/11 pixels to 10X10 pixels'
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cik View Post
Im paying for a product and service, so everything is relevant to me; even if it is stability related.
Thisa is one of the most self-centered things I've ever heard.

Does your bank notify you if it changes a manager? NO, it does not.
If your car manufacturer makes a minor design change during your car's model year do they notify you? NO, they do not.

Does Microsoft notify you when they find a new security flaw? NO, they do not.
If a airline changes a flight time, do they notify you BEFORE you get to the airport? NO, they do not.

'Nuff said - you don't need to be informed about every little thing. You're not part of Cryptic, you license a service fromt hem. They are not obligated to tell you everythign they do internally. That's even why most MMOs have a clause int heir Terms of Service that state explicitly that things in-game may change without warning - to cover themselves from backseat drivers like yourself.

Buy Cryptic out, THEN you can demand such things. Until then, HTFU and STFU.