Lt. Commander
# 1 Fleet Holding Appearance
11-02-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm sure it's been mentioned in the past but how many people out there think that some of the fleet holding stuff should be changed back to their original concepts? First theres the starbase system, what we have now is empty space with a star off in the distance and the fleet starbase, comm array, shipyard, industrial fabrication facility, and transwarp conduit, but if you look at the original trailor clip for that season it looks like this http://imageshack.com/a/img29/5552/vz1j.jpg

Then theres the fleet embassy's shuttle bay, the current one with the limited time project has the 2 shuttles and the romulan shuttle with a giant hole in the roof but look at the concept version http://imageshack.com/a/img571/8406/mr3h.jpg almost the same exept with the pillars and archs which looks much better.

I don't get why they would take the time to make them look that good just to strip them down like they did before releasing it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Those original concepts look better than what they ended up as now.

Though, why not make fleet holdings customizable via the foundry?

I will not surrender!
Captain
# 3
11-02-2013, 04:13 PM
There is a Limited Project that opens up the Roof for the Shuttlebay. As far as why the devs strip down concept art, it could be due to graphical resources. Maybe having planets and extra stuff slows down some player's computers so the devs have to go for the LCD.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
There is a Limited Project that opens up the Roof for the Shuttlebay. As far as why the devs strip down concept art, it could be due to graphical resources. Maybe having planets and extra stuff slows down some player's computers so the devs have to go for the LCD.
I would imagine most older fleets have done that embassy project already, what I was referring to as far as that one is in the original concept version there is pillars with beams going across the shuttle bay as if each of the three shuttle pads has their own roof door that's open but in the released version the pillars and beams are gone.
I don't see where things like that would be much of a graphical issue compared to a lot of other places on the game. Also we have to wonder, how is this going to affect the new season 8 stuff. Will it be stripped down too from what we see on the tribble test server and if so, by how much.
Captain
# 5
11-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Content hardly ever matches concept art because it is concept art. Various problems could be created when the devs try to create this content so it has to be changed in some way. Graphical resources is just one possibility. Another is that a dev doesn't like how it looks in the game so they have to change it.

There is one other possibility and this is based off of the Dyson Fleet Holding dev blog. Concept art for Fleet Holdings could include all limited projects and the final upgrades and the beams and pillars are part of the final upgrade.
Career Officer
# 6
11-02-2013, 08:54 PM
It'd be really cool if New Romulus (and by extension the open embassy shuttlebay) had a day/night cycle like Bajor and Risa.

I'm also disappointed that the fleet starbase doesn't orbit a planet, as that would be a natural place to expand into some sort of fleet colony holding. And it'd look cool.
Rihannsu
# 7
11-03-2013, 01:39 AM
I certainly don't think that white shuttlebay looks better than the real one. Matter of taste I suppose.

As for the planet, dunno. Maybe they took that away so it wouldn't be blatantly obvious that every fleet's starbase is in the exact same position.
Captain
# 8
11-03-2013, 01:10 AM
IMO it doesn't matter if the Starbase is orbiting a planet or not. DS9 is pretty far from Bajor and some Starbases are not even near a Star due to Strategic location or being on a Trade Lane.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpangel View Post
I certainly don't think that white shuttlebay looks better than the real one. Matter of taste I suppose.

As for the planet, dunno. Maybe they took that away so it wouldn't be blatantly obvious that every fleet's starbase is in the exact same position.
As far as the embassy shuttle bay I was thinking more along the lines of keeping it as is as far as the color scheme but bringing back the pillars and beams like the picture shows but in a similar color scheme. They could do that to make it look better without having to change much. As far as the fleet system, well, no way of getting around the fact that every fleet's fleet system is going to look exactly the same, same with the starbase interior.