Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
It does for me, and it's very bothersome =[
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 09:02 AM
It does too but actually i don't think it imports for the game.
We don't have the preorder bonuses so i think steam hasn't officially got out yet.
It will probably change at 2 february.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 09:02 AM
same but maybe sto is still in its beta phase lol
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 09:11 AM
I gave up on steam,
Downloading it via Star Trek Online downloader from Cryptic website, it's damn slow, but atleast it's not restarting or freezing, so far.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Yep...mine still says beta, but that because I picked up on the "ShadowExplorer" tip in another thread, and have circumvented the idiocy at Steam altogether.

I've pinned the loader to my start menu, and so now, I don't need Steam for anything to do with STO ever again.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Does it saying 'Beta' really matter in the long run?

...I'm genuinely curious, mind you, as I'd really rather prefer to launch through Steam then anything else, but realize it's only a mild inconvenience if I don't.

As in, will it attempt to redownload every launch attempt (current worry), or...?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriFoxfirega
Does it saying 'Beta' really matter in the long run?

...I'm genuinely curious, mind you, as I'd really rather prefer to launch through Steam then anything else, but realize it's only a mild inconvenience if I don't.

As in, will it attempt to redownload every launch attempt (current worry), or...?
Why? How is it an incovenience? I have it pinned at the top of my start menu...

I'm not taking any chance with it redownloading. I've set it to pause downloading and it can stay that way till hell freezes over...The STO launcher will take care of any patches it needs
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 10:51 AM
I am not useing steam at all (well brought it but using Beta client to do it now after the steam restart dling it every damn time) Just need to get my retail key from steam later (when it's released).
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scud.nz View Post
Why? How is it an incovenience? I have it pinned at the top of my start menu...

I'm not taking any chance with it redownloading. I've set it to pause downloading and it can stay that way till hell freezes over...The STO launcher will take care of any patches it needs
Ignoring anything that just comes down to a matter of semantics and personal perference, that doesn't do much to actually answer the question at all.

Is there some specific bug with the Steam client interacting with the Head Start (forcing a redownload of the client), or isn't there? You've got mostly supposition on your end (the bolded part) that it may do it again, not that there's a guarantee that there is an issue.

If that is the problem, you (and anyone else exhibiting this issue) should probably fire off a note to both Cryptic and Steam's support teams, as this shouldn't be happening in the first place.

But, is it a continuing issue or a one-time? That's the big question I have right now (having sat through it once already). If necessary, I'll test it out myself, but I'd love to hear something more solid about this issue.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 11:30 AM
I've already taken steps to assure I'm not stuck in another 4 hour "Steam Re-Download" blackout...
  1. Using Explorer browse to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common (Program Files (x86) for 64-bit OS) - Highlight the Star Trek Online Folder and Copy (CTRL-C)
  2. Browse up to C:\ and paste the folder (CTRL-V)
  3. Should Steam Screw us over again at any point, play from C:\Star Trek Online