Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Officer's Quarters Ability Development

Unique abilities can be unlocked and become available soley by spending time self-training in the officer's quarters.

Player Death

There should be an option for permanent ship and officer death. Perhaps even the captain himself could die in combat and one of the officers take his place. This raises the stakes in the game, and makes it more challenging. When the option for officer death is unchecked the player would be allowed to respawn as now. The possibility of officer death also allows for more interesting officer interaction (i.e. when an officer dies that often interacted with his fellow officers and the crew, the crew would be further demoralized).

These sorts of things, very importantly, make the games completely unique and far more challenging.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2010, 02:56 PM
/support
Really good ideas here...
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2010, 03:00 PM
/BUMP!

Hopefully the developers see this thread and make a note, these are amazing suggestions. It would be nice if the ideas here could be developed later on.. great way to expand and to enrich the program.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Since there seems to be such a unanimous consent to implement these ideas, I will try to keep this thread permanently alive (with everyone's consent and help), and also send letters with petitions via first class mail copying the ideas I've suggested here to each member of the Cryptic team. Anyone who wishes to append their name to the petition feel free to post your support here and I will try to add your online forum name as one of the many people who support the petition for these kinds of additions.

Of course, if a member of the Cryptic team directly acknowledges this thread and that they've read it, then no need to waste the postage!
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
I would re post this thread in a few weeks when all the drama dies down because decent ideas like this aren't heard over the roar of chaos.....
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Yes! I agree with these ideas. My number one thought was to be able to sit in the captains chair on the bridge and be able to navigate to a system without ever having to look at Sector space if you don't want to.

If I wanted to travel from Starbase One to DS9, it would be great to be able to make the journey without having to the leave the bridge. Even running into enemy contacts would sound a red alert on the bridge and then you'd get a popup about joining (unless of course it's the moving ones then you'd just get zoned automatically like normal).

If you got near a cargo ship, one of your bridge officers would ask if you want to hail them to do trading, etc.

and the big thing would be to actually be able to see sector space on the view screen as you travel.

The potential is definitely there...i'm sure it will come. That would be star trek to a "T".
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Kasbo
Yes! I agree with these ideas. My number one thought was to be able to sit in the captains chair on the bridge and be able to navigate to a system without ever having to look at Sector space if you don't want to.

If I wanted to travel from Starbase One to DS9, it would be great to be able to make the journey without having to the leave the bridge. Even running into enemy contacts would sound a red alert on the bridge and then you'd get a popup about joining (unless of course it's the moving ones then you'd just get zoned automatically like normal).

If you got near a cargo ship, one of your bridge officers would ask if you want to hail them to do trading, etc.

and the big thing would be to actually be able to see sector space on the view screen as you travel.

The potential is definitely there...i'm sure it will come. That would be star trek to a "T".

Yea true... man I would kill to be able to tweek the functions of my ship personally nothing like good ol hard work in main engineering make a ship run smoothly..
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-30-2010, 03:14 PM
I must admit that I had always considered the calls for 'interior' content to be high-concept, but low-deliverability on Cyptic's necessary development resource investment. I didn't see the potential, it is now apparent.

The OP's thoughful and REALISTIC post opened my eyes to the possibility of adding signifaicant depth to the game. Coupled with some addtional, and ALSO FEASIBLE, responces by other posters, I have had my mind opened and I sincerely hope that Cryptic Dev's take the time to study these ideas and consider implementing at least some of them.

Kudos to you who have broadened my conception of what this game CAN be. Now we just have to work together, in order that this post reaches the eyes of the folks who plot the future course of our game.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Games out there implement this kinds of creative systems. One example would be "The Guild".

The key is to develop a number of repeatable activities that have enough variations to maintain player interest and alter the outcome of each individual mission.

The modification system I proposed keeps these kinds of events relevant to overall game advancement.

It is really matter of simplifying human interactions to the point where you can simulate them efficiently and make it relevant to mission outcomes.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-30-2010, 03:22 PM
I propose that the devs not devote time to adding things that do not contribute to actual game play. I further propose that players who want to play a social networking game, like Second Life, choose to play a social networking game, like Second Life.

Added: I just gave a second read-through of the OP, and I think these would be great ideas for a Star Trek expansion pack for The Sims 3!