Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Flotilla
Login

Captain
It seems that many Romulan pilots are distraught by the fact that Warbirds with singularity cores have 40 less power than the other faction ships with warp cores. However the ability already exists to have this power back at no monetary cost. The secret is to leverage your skill points.

Put simply, you can take skill points out of the categories that are not required for a Romulan (but which are necessary for the other factions), and direct those skill points into subsystem power bonuses. Each subsystem skill pool will add up to 10 points of power to that subsystem, and there are four of them, which results in a total of 40 additional base power. Furthermore, you dont even need to cap all four of the subsystems, and can instead gain additional power from the Warp Core Potential and Warp Core Efficiency skills to boost overall power. With some judicious planning, you can easily match warp core power levels.

Ah, I can hear you already, I cant afford to put power into those subsystems, I need them for everything I'm using already. This is probably false.

For example, the default recommendation for all pilots has always been that warships should maximize Energy Weapon Specialization in order to increase damage. But maxing the skill points in this category only yields an extra 2% crth and 20% crtd. Meanwhile a ship with a crew of 5 romulans with the Operative trait (not even Superior Operative) will have 7.5% crith and 19% critd bonus, and that is with zero points in Energy Weapon Proficiency or Projectile Weapon Efficiency. If you can work your way up to a set of 5 Superior Operatives you get 10% crith and 25% critd.

Certainly you can put points into the Specialization pool if you want to eke out a little more crith, or you could direct those tier-5 skill points into subsystem power bonuses. Federation and KDF pilots must do so in order to boost their damage, and can forgo subsystem power bonuses to get there. Romulans can take the inverse tack, and forgo the specialization skill points to boost the subsystem power.

There are many more examples. Crew with Subterfuge have +150 added to the captain's stealth skill points (stacks one time). The most you can get from the tier-4 stealth skill is 99 stealth skill points. Curiously this is all the Klingons have ever had access to. In other words, a single Subterfugue BOFF will give you more stealth skill than any Klingon pilot has ever had. Do you really need a lot of points there?

There are other areas where Romulans have inherent advantages that can be leveraged to eke out some loose skill points, which you can find on your own by studying the species traits of your bridge crews.

Also, take note of http://home.comcast.net/~amicus/Skil...%20Effects.htm and use it to plan your skill points for power gains. In particular, six bars of Warp Core Potential will give you a respectable boost across all subsystems, as will six bars of Warp Core Efficiency. Each bar invested in each of the four susbystem power skills will yield an additional +1 power to that subsystem. By simply recognizing the advantages of your bridge crew, you can easily shift some sklill points around and reclaim that 40 base power.
Captain
# 2
11-07-2013, 10:26 AM
What Romulans are dustraught?

Plasmonic leech, warp core efficiency, warp core potential, starship performance, eptX+warpcore doff. Energy syphon, elite warp cores...

Mess loads of ways to counter -40 power
EptE3+evasive maneuvers+130/100 engine power+Attack patternmega+deuterium surplus+ aux2inertial dampeners+ the biggest ship you can find = damn right
Captain
# 3
11-07-2013, 10:29 AM
I felt it was important to document how to do it with zero EC costs

All the other ways are certainly viable, and I use several of them.
Commander
# 4
11-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Your solution doesnt really work.

A romulan ship has a base of 160 power, while a federation ship or kdf ship has a base of 200 power. Speccing into those skills will bring your base as a romulan up to 200, but most federation and kdf players also spec into those skills, meaning they're at a base of 240.

The issue isnt so much that romulans have lower power, it's that they have lower power compared to their kdf and fed counterparts. Some of that power can be regained through special signularity cores by maintaining a full singularity charge, but you still wont regain the full 40, and keeping your singularity charge up means you arent using the singularity abilities which were given to us to help counter that power drain.

I'm still of the opinion that romulan ships, due to the power difference, are severely debilitated compared to fed or kdf counterparts. My romulan ship didnt even come close to matching up to my fed ships in efficiency until I dumped the cash on a plasmonic leech and got the full assimilated set (+5 to all subsystems). Even then, I'm only able to run around 90~ to all systems, and 124 to weapons, whereas a fed ship with the same investments would be capped at 125-130 on all systems.
Captain
# 5
11-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by telbasta7386 View Post
A romulan ship has a base of 160 power, while a federation ship or kdf ship has a base of 200 power. Speccing into those skills will bring your base as a romulan up to 200, but most federation and kdf players also spec into those skills, meaning they're at a base of 240.
This is the trade... they dont spec into power because they are specing into other things like specialization and cloak, which you dont have to.

It works if you make trade-off, it doesnt work if you expect all the romulan features to come at no cost.
Rihannsu
# 6
11-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Use a fleet singularity core and you gain up to +10 power over a warp core's bonus when you have a full capacitor charge. Meaning a fully powered up warbird has only a -30 deficit.

If you run a Warbird on a engi with the EPS trait and a stockpile of batteries or an Engi using Aux to Batt the power level issues mostly vanish.

Pushing a Warbird's power system to the edge is harder but is still possible, really the Warbirds are the expert level ships in STO.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Captain
# 7
11-07-2013, 12:31 PM
power levels arent the issue, a sing core that boosts your power levels as the core charges fixes that in 30 seconds of shooting, its just that its visually obvious.

the problem to me is, whatever it is which make their hulls have less integrity than the promises of a politician, due to taking more damage than alternate faction ships with clone defence setups.
If you like the RPG trinity, then you hate MMOs, you hate working, competitive fair PvP, you hate balanced engaging solo content,
and,
you hate PvE "adventure zones". because the trinity is incompatible with any of these.
Commander
# 8
11-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skollulfr View Post
power levels arent the issue, a sing core that boosts your power levels as the core charges fixes that in 30 seconds of shooting, its just that its visually obvious.
But using any singularity ability instantly renders that power boost obsolete again.

Imagine the outrage that would come from federation and KDF players if they lost 30-40 total power every time they used a captain ability.
Captain
# 9
11-07-2013, 07:36 PM
I'd gladly take a -40 power drop for the op shield alone
EptE3+evasive maneuvers+130/100 engine power+Attack patternmega+deuterium surplus+ aux2inertial dampeners+ the biggest ship you can find = damn right
Captain
# 10
11-07-2013, 07:41 PM
I will say, the OP hit the nail in the head. Because you can slot those Romulan boffs, you can forgo the specialization and spend points on extra power to subsystems. Need more power? Roll a sci Romulan and go for a drain build.