Lt. Commander
# 1 Open Beta & [edit]
01-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Ya know, I hate to be the antagonist in a flame war (well ok I guess not really) but I've got to say that if more [edit] actually used Open Beta for it's intended purpose and actually tested the game as well as reported bugs rather than power level or use the Beta as they're own personal "I wanna play the game" time..we might not have so many damn bugs now.

Me? I read every line slowly and took in the story, I tested and tried things in the game to see if they worked or didn't work. I reported umpteen dozen bugs and faithfully did so. I get the feeling many didn't.

Thoughts?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 10:12 AM
This will not end well...
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLacey
Ya know, I hate to be the antagonist in a flame war (well ok I guess not really) but I've got to say that if more Open Beta Idiots (and you know who you are "Where's Sulu" and "Look I'm Tier 5 already") actually used Open Beta for it's intended purpose and actually tested the game as well as reported bugs rather than power level or use the Beta as they're own personal "I wanna play the game" time..we might not have so many damn bugs now.

Me? I read every line slowly and took in the story, I tested and tried things in the game to see if they worked or didn't work. I reported umpteen dozen bugs and faithfully did so. I get the feeling many didn't.

Thoughts?
You have to expect that open beta attracts people unable and unwilling to formulate proper bug reports. And in a sense they are not expected to. The Devs of any game know they have their hard core of testers and open beta is merely a stress test and these extra bodies are server load.
It's when these people cry about their bad gaming experience or bugs that ruined their game that I become quite annoyed. Beta in any environment owes you nothing, even if you are just freeloading for fun it's gonna break and you better get used to it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 10:16 AM
I just want to say. Yesterday was one of the best game openings I have ever taken apart in.

Not only did I get D/C ONCE the whole day, the server lag and rubberbanding were visibly less.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 10:18 AM
I must admit that once the authentication issue was dealt with, i had a thoroughly enjoyable evening with no disconnections, a little rubber banding, and only twice did i even see the error "Server not responding" when moving between maps... and it caught up with itself and didn't drop me.
I also never spawned in space as a captain, or on ground as a ship, and not once did i beam down without my away team.
From experience, this was a very smooth launch, BUT bear in mind this isn't the official game launch, this is the headstart... i sincerely hope we see such a smooth performance on the day the game goes officially live.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 10:19 AM
There will be people who didn't play to test and just wanted to play the game before anyone else, but there will also be people who did alot of bug reporting like yourself. I did a few in the week of the open beta after getting my pre-order. But there is also the other aspect that they were reported, but cryptic haven't gotten round to fixing them yet either. So although I to can understand what your saying and were your coming from, it's really down to cryptic having to rush sto out for deadline purposes.. Lets just hope that alot of fixes are on the way.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
You have to expect that open beta attracts people unable and unwilling to formulate proper bug reports. And in a sense they are not expected to. The Devs of any game know they have their hard core of testers and open beta is merely a stress test and these extra bodies are server load.
It's when these people cry about their bad gaming experience or bugs that ruined their game that I become quite annoyed. Beta in any environment owes you nothing, even if you are just freeloading for fun it's gonna break and you better get used to it.
To bad they didn't take all those reports to heart.... broken war/borg mission when you have to scan 8 nodes and then have to destroy the 4 hubs and upon completion getting Encryption Error.... or when you die in pvp and you cannnot respawn and when you sometimes you do, you cannot target the other team because they are flagged as being on your team... and I could go on
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 10:31 AM
This is the silliest thing I've heard in awhile. My thought is sarcasm.

It has been said many times and even reported by tentonhammer in an interview with some Cryptic exec, that open beta is not the primary place where bugs are found, it's a unvieling of the game to the public and primarily a promotional period. This wasn't even a true open beta because the keys were exclusive and not just freely given out. Most folks paid to be in the Open Beta.

Something that was mentioned by several people who hit Admiral, was their testing of higher level content. Most folks scoffed, but they had a valid point.

[Edit for spelling]
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 10:33 AM
I agree completely with the OP, right up unti

Quote:
we might not have so many damn bugs now.
The bugs IMHO are down to sloppiness. I believe the Developers listen to what they wanna hear.

For example, the moonwalker bug is still there despite I'm sure plenty of people reporting it and there being a forum post about it.

So whilst I agree some people coulda been more proactive, it requires the Devs to be reactive enough. That I'm afraid is sorely missing.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Ya know, I hate to be the antagonist in a flame war (well ok I guess not really) but I've got to say that if more Open Beta Idiots (and you know who you are "Where's Sulu" and "Look I'm Tier 5 already") actually used Open Beta for it's intended purpose and actually tested the game as well as reported bugs rather than power level or use the Beta as they're own personal "I wanna play the game" time..we might not have so many damn bugs now.
Check the Klingon archives:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Reporting bugs was our national passtime.

Unfortunately reporting them and getting them fixed are two different things. We reported our broken PvP kit vendors the day they broke and here we are, what, 2 weeks later? Still broken.