Lt. Commander
# 21
01-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Bullcrap Delacey, there is crap that was reported on the first day of OB by every Klingon, that still isn't fixed like kit vendors.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-30-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't blame anyone for "Where's Sulu?" except the devs who did not make it clear in the orders. Incomplete or vague instructions are not the fault of players, but the game designers.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLacey
Ya know, I hate to be the antagonist in a flame war (well ok I guess not really) but I've got to say that if more [edit] actually used Open Beta for it's intended purpose and actually tested the game as well as reported bugs rather than power level or use the Beta as they're own personal "I wanna play the game" time..we might not have so many damn bugs now.

Me? I read every line slowly and took in the story, I tested and tried things in the game to see if they worked or didn't work. I reported umpteen dozen bugs and faithfully did so. I get the feeling many didn't.

Thoughts?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
Not to belabor a point that should be pretty obvious but Open Beta was not about Beta testing and the fact that headstart got underway with pretty much the same game that open beta finished with should make that clear. Open Beta was about two things, marketing and stress testing and as much as anything it was about marketing serving as the single best reason for people to pre order. Did open beta allow them to also get a head start on bug squashing before the crush of live hits, sure, but is the game we started OB with really any different than what we started live with, save the patching of stress elements, not really.

But this subject is now old, let's just move on folks. STO was rushed out the door - such is life - let's see how it holds up and how well Cryptic finishes it in live because, ultimately, that is pretty much what will make or break the game as a subscription based product.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Quote:
It's unfortunate they didn't read my post before reporting me, they would have seen that I wasn't referring to all of my "beta testing brethren", just a select few and obviously it was one of them who reported me. Bravo.
Jolly bad luck on your part that someone reported you.......however I do find it interesting how quickly Cryptic responds to someone reporting you and yet there are still ongoing concerns over certain topics that they just do not seem to be making a single comment on.

Which leads me to think that cryptic are definately aware of these ongoing concerns. *cough skill tree borkedness cough*

Peace
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-30-2010, 11:25 AM
What part of preordering and purchasing a game requires me to test it? I am a programmer, and I'll be damned if I am going to test and submit bugs for free on another dev's code. Not going to happen. I play these things for entertainment, not as another form of software development.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-30-2010, 11:26 AM
I did a lot of /bugs as I am sure several people did. It's not our fault that Cryptic did not fix them.

I'm still bugging like it was still OB, as there were no changes as far as I can tell between OB and Headstart.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Well the OP isnt exactly wrong, as a former STO Beta tester I can tell you many people used open beta as a "Free Trial" They didnt care about finding bugs and reporting them, they cared about leveling up and getting better ships, and some who just cared about being challenged.

Yes, alot of people ****ed all over the Beta Tester Responsibilities and embraced self gratification.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaMarie View Post
Well the OP isnt exactly wrong, as a former STO Beta tester I can tell you many people used open beta as a "Free Trial" They didnt care about finding bugs and reporting them, they cared about leveling up and getting better ships, and some who just cared about being challenged.

Yes, alot of people ****ed all over the Beta Tester Responsibilities and embraced self gratification.
Maybe a lot did but erm......half a mill tickets? o.0
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akril View Post
I agree completely with the OP, right up unti

The bugs IMHO are down to sloppiness. I believe the Developers listen to what they wanna hear.

For example, the moonwalker bug is still there despite I'm sure plenty of people reporting it and there being a forum post about it.

So whilst I agree some people coulda been more proactive, it requires the Devs to be reactive enough. That I'm afraid is sorely missing.
That same bug exists in WoW, 6 years later. your point?
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Quote:
I get the feeling many didn't.

Thoughts?
There is "your" side of the street. And there is the side of the street that is not yours.

I appreciate that you have feelings. But the avenue through which you are expressing them is actually judgemental and abusive. There is something called, "boundaries."

Focus on your side of the street...