Lt. Commander
# 31
01-30-2010, 11:48 AM
OP is an idiot. Blame the testers for the bugs...that's rich.

Could it be that major bugs are supposed to be squashed by Open Beta? Open Beta is generally for small bugs and stress testing. Get Real!
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLacey
Ya know, I hate to be the antagonist in a flame war (well ok I guess not really) but I've got to say that if more [edit] actually used Open Beta for it's intended purpose and actually tested the game as well as reported bugs rather than power level or use the Beta as they're own personal "I wanna play the game" time..we might not have so many damn bugs now.

Me? I read every line slowly and took in the story, I tested and tried things in the game to see if they worked or didn't work. I reported umpteen dozen bugs and faithfully did so. I get the feeling many didn't.

Thoughts?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
For every one person like you or me that actually knows how to Test a Beta program, there are at least a 100 (maybe more) people who just want to play the game. That was why during OB I often stressed the fact that everyone's character were getting deleted. If figured if people kept that in mind maybe they'd worry a little more about finding bugs and a little less about "playing". Unfortunately there's a lot of people out there who don't have the brains God gave a slug.
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Open beta is a hype tool, you get a key for preorder, it's a stress test and marketing, if it deals with some bugs hey bonus, also hahaha at blaming testers for bugs and lol at the "I am the good tester, it's the fault of those who shirked their responsbilities and played for fun, curse them!" sentiments.
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-30-2010, 01:25 PM
I never said I was the best tester and that it was all the beta tester's faults and not Cryptic's fault. I made a somewhat lighthearted comment about the percentage of players that didn't take beta seriously and just let things slide as long as they were having fun. I don't know the figure of said percentage, I simply know that it exists. I am aware many of you did your part and I applaud your efforts. I am aware Cryptic patched like it was going out of style, yet failed to address other things. I also know that they'd rather give me an "infraction point" for saying Idiot in a forum thread title rather than address those things. This thread was also blown out of proportion after response 5 or 6..this is the same reason you have 50 plus religions all screaming and fighting over a bible. Interpretation, pride, ignorance...take your pick. Call me what you like, but you can't deny that Open Beta had people in it that could care less about the game. The game as it stands still have players flying around yelling about how the game sucks and it's going to fail. That is all I was referring to and some of you have made this into something else entirely.

P.S. 2 thumbs up for those of you who understood my original post.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Open Beta & Idiots (Yeah I said it)
Congrats on your troll thread. I hope you enjoy your warning/infraction
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Ya know, I hate to be the antagonist in a flame war (well ok I guess not really) but I've got to say that if more [edit] actually used Open Beta for it's intended purpose and actually tested the game as well as reported bugs rather than power level or use the Beta as they're own personal "I wanna play the game" time..we might not have so many damn bugs now.

Me? I read every line slowly and took in the story, I tested and tried things in the game to see if they worked or didn't work. I reported umpteen dozen bugs and faithfully did so. I get the feeling many didn't.

Thoughts?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
This had nothing to do with beta testing. When only have 1 month to beta test a game. And 1 month closed beta which was not actually much testing going on because of limited play time. This is all about how little time the game was in development and testing. 2 years is about 1/2 of what a real MMO needs to be done inorder to have a acceptable amount of content and all so a good testing cycle. Take skill cap issue people talk about. This should of been something that was found out long before game even thought of beta. But it took them till 1 week before launch to realize the system was flawed and to make a large change to game play.

It all comes down to the amount of time Cryptic gave to STO. I mean why would they spend enough time finishing the game when they can push it out the door early. They have to rush STO out because of deal with Atari buying them. Cryptic could earn up to 20 million dollars if their 2010-11 revenues reach a certain sales mark. So they are rushing STO out fast in order to sell fast and hard. They know CO is lost caused and will not generate them revenues they need.
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Quote:
I never said I was the best tester and that it was all the beta tester's faults and not Cryptic's fault.
That has to be the single most foolish comment I have ever heard regarding a game. It is not the game developer's fault, it is the tester's fault. ROFL. I suppose the beta testers made the call to cram the typical 4 to 5 years of development in to 2 years, beta tester's made the call to go live with an incomplete and untested game as well.

/ridiculous
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Congrats on your troll thread. I hope you enjoy your warning/infraction
Thank you, my large lobed yet obtuse friend. Your meddling shall be rewarded. Enjoy your future posting and know that I'll be there watching everything you type down, in the hopes that you make a mistake and give me something to report. If I can be reported and given an infraction point for the word "idiot" then you'd better be careful as it could be pretty much anything. One good turn deserves another, after all.

P.S. Whoever thinks "idiot" is something to report is bad enough, but to actually have Cryptic go after someone for it is a whole new level of ridiculous.
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larishet View Post
OP is an idiot. Blame the testers for the bugs...that's rich.

Could it be that major bugs are supposed to be squashed by Open Beta? Open Beta is generally for small bugs and stress testing. Get Real!
:p

Quote:
Originally Posted by gHz
That has to be the single most foolish comment I have ever heard regarding a game. It is not the game developer's fault, it is the tester's fault. ROFL. I suppose the beta testers made the call to cram the typical 4 to 5 years of development in to 2 years, beta tester's made the call to go live with an incomplete and untested game as well.

/ridiculous
Congrats on being two of what I mentioned in my original post. I never blamed anyone, testers nor Cryptic. Since I'm being pressed I'd say it's some of Cryptic's fault, alot of Atari's fault and the rest of the slack being taken up by those I referred to in my OP.

You two should get married and run away to a tropical island together...drinking margaritas, rolling around together in the sand and playing STO when you're not busy with the first two.
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-30-2010, 01:50 PM
There is no shortage of bug reports/tickets submitted.

The issue is having the manpower to get them all fixed and not cutting corners/ getting enough equipment/ for the sake of bonus money.