Lt. Commander
# 41
01-30-2010, 02:52 PM
I agree completely, and if people actually paid attention to the map, the signs, and the dialogue, we might not have so many "WHERE IS SULU!!!????" posts, and comments. People complaining about issues on the forums here might have better spent their time reporting those issues that they saw, and making casual or calm posts mentioning the issue. Instead we got flame wars and Sulu seekers. Oh and don't forget those posts with "Hey did my beta character get deleted? WTF!" here on the forums. I did my part during the Open Beta and reported any bugs that I saw, some in dialogue, others like the Ship on the ground bug. I don't know that we wouldn't have as many bugs now, but we might have a better atmosphere.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vereg
I must admit that once the authentication issue was dealt with, i had a thoroughly enjoyable evening with no disconnections, a little rubber banding, and only twice did i even see the error "Server not responding" when moving between maps... and it caught up with itself and didn't drop me.
I also never spawned in space as a captain, or on ground as a ship, and not once did i beam down without my away team.
From experience, this was a very smooth launch, BUT bear in mind this isn't the official game launch, this is the headstart... i sincerely hope we see such a smooth performance on the day the game goes officially live.
Um I don't recall Piece Brosnon ever being in Star Trek is your pic a spoof?
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-30-2010, 02:55 PM
I Like Displacing My Anger
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpharaider47 View Post
I agree completely, and if people actually paid attention to the map, the signs, and the dialogue, we might not have so many "WHERE IS SULU!!!????" posts, and comments. People complaining about issues on the forums here might have better spent their time reporting those issues that they saw, and making casual or calm posts mentioning the issue. Instead we got flame wars and Sulu seekers. Oh and don't forget those posts with "Hey did my beta character get deleted? WTF!" here on the forums. I did my part during the Open Beta and reported any bugs that I saw, some in dialogue, others like the Ship on the ground bug. I don't know that we wouldn't have as many bugs now, but we might have a better atmosphere.
Ok in fairness when the open beta started the map worked. However the icons didn't really work that well in terms of names.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-30-2010, 02:57 PM
My thoughts are that if you give out open beta access with pre-orders, don't expect people to pay to work.

Even though they're really not paying for the OB access, they are being given access on the condition that they will pre-order the game, not on the condition that they will file bug reports or test the game. What people do with such an invite is their own decision.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Open Beta is really just time to test the servers and the infrastructure. Serious bug-finding generally occurs during Closed Beta. Open betas are, well, open. You're not necessarily looking for bugs, because those should have been mostly fixed.

Cryptic sort of did Open Beta properly, but it's looking like they didn't give their infrastructure a thorough-enough testing. Yes, they could have predicted this. That's what open beta is for. This is their third MMO and it's an MMO based on an immensely popular IP... they should've known better.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLacey
Ya know, I hate to be the antagonist in a flame war (well ok I guess not really) but I've got to say that if more [edit] actually used Open Beta for it's intended purpose and actually tested the game as well as reported bugs rather than power level or use the Beta as they're own personal "I wanna play the game" time..we might not have so many damn bugs now.

Me? I read every line slowly and took in the story, I tested and tried things in the game to see if they worked or didn't work. I reported umpteen dozen bugs and faithfully did so. I get the feeling many didn't.

Thoughts?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
You assume that you were just one of the few... there were a lot of bugs in beta, I would say most people posted 40 bugs on average. but again, I can only assume. The problem with this game isn't just the bugs... I would in fact say the bugs are the least of their issues. Biggest problem we have right now are people complaining about the issues of the game... people complaining about the people complaining about the issues in the game... and finally, those that complain about those that complain about the people complaining about the problems in the game. Plain fact of the matter... there are some issues, and more then half of the posts in these forums appear to be from people just complaining about the game.... Can you imagine a better forum for developers that wanted to fix their game and make a great game? If we were all saying "Great Job Cryptic" then this would be the best we would have. everytime you reported a bug, you were basically saying "look! you screwed up here!" that is no different then the rants, flames, complaints, and nice essays that are also collectively saying "Look! you screwed up here!"
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Disturbing that the exact same issues with capacity we saw in open beta we are seeing again. The only difference now is we're paying for it.

If you thought yesterday was smooth, it's only because most of the Steam purchasers spent the day re-downloading the client. What you are seeing today is reality. We won't see a major improvement in stability until after the first month is up and a bunch of people unsubscribe. It's sad but I find it highly unlikely that Cryptic will spend much more money on infrastructure.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLacey
Ya know, I hate to be the IDIOT in a flame war (well ok I guess not really) but I've got to say that if more [edit] actually used Open Beta for it's intended purpose and actually tested the game as well as reported bugs rather than power level or use the Beta as they're own personal "I wanna play the game" time..we might not have so many damn bugs now.

Me? I read every line slowly and took in the story, I tested and tried things in the game to see if they worked or didn't work. I reported umpteen dozen bugs and faithfully did so. I get the feeling many didn't.

Thoughts?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
Fixed for you!
Todays crash is a serverside issue and had nothing to do with the beta tests.

Also if you know anything about beta's you would know that developers ignore about 99% of what the testers tell them. So before you go pointing fingers get your facts straight.
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimskringla View Post
Open Beta is really just time to test the servers and the infrastructure. Serious bug-finding generally occurs during Closed Beta. Open betas are, well, open. You're not necessarily looking for bugs, because those should have been mostly fixed.

Cryptic sort of did Open Beta properly, but it's looking like they didn't give their infrastructure a thorough-enough testing. Yes, they could have predicted this. That's what open beta is for. This is their third MMO and it's an MMO based on an immensely popular IP... they should've known better.
I kind of agree, but I would imagine it's one of those things that is mostly controlled by corporate. Convincing people in suits that spending more money on server hardware which will likely not be repaid by extra subs (who buys a game simply because the servers work) is probably a hard thing to do.

So long as it doesn't get a point where people are leaving the game in masses, they probably will be limited in what they can do on the server hardware front.

That being said, I totally agree that the old "every MMO is like this at launch" thing gets tiring. There's been a lot of launches, they could get it right if they wanted to invest in it. I just like to remind people who is most likely really to blame.