Lt. Commander
# 51
01-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimskringla View Post
Open Beta is really just time to test the servers and the infrastructure. Serious bug-finding generally occurs during Closed Beta. Open betas are, well, open. You're not necessarily looking for bugs, because those should have been mostly fixed.

Cryptic sort of did Open Beta properly, but it's looking like they didn't give their infrastructure a thorough-enough testing. Yes, they could have predicted this. That's what open beta is for. This is their third MMO and it's an MMO based on an immensely popular IP... they should've known better.
I would say it's their fourth, as City of Villians was a completely seperate game in concept and design. It stood by itself and didn't need the City of Heroes to be played. So that makes City of Villians, City of Heroes, Champions Online, and Star Trek Online.... at least they stepped away from super powers????
Lt. Commander
# 52
01-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLacey
Whoever thinks "idiot" is something to report is bad enough, but to actually have Cryptic go after someone for it is a whole new level of ridiculous.
Its not that the word "idiot" is so bad, its that you are trolling.
Lt. Commander
# 53
01-30-2010, 02:15 PM
due to the abundance of bug listings in open beta via perusing the /bug command it seems many open beta testers did report bugs, including myself.

this current crash is hardly the fault of beta testers open closed or whatever. they have done several updates after beta ended 2 by my count and one large one today, lest my client had to download a 125 mb something or other today when i logged in. for all we know something in todays update broke something since the server seemed fine occasional lag spikes aside yesterday and some minor bugs like quest not updating, reported that and the officer offers not getting people their officers, subscribed to that bug report, and even more sadly is that officer had skills i would have used.

open beta is a combination of promotion, shakedown, and stress test. i am sure a good many people just used it as a free gaming session but a good many others did report bugs when they found them to the best of their ability. after all if you had any interest in playing the game at lunch or sometime after it was in their best interest to find and report bugs.
Lt. Commander
# 54 STO - Sucks All Ready
01-30-2010, 02:18 PM
WHY do this game offer so many different offers?

Pay xx $ you get this, and pay xx $ more, you get that.

Only a new way to cheat new customers on MORE MONEY, or?

Cryptic.......
Lt. Commander
# 55
01-30-2010, 02:20 PM
I pre-ordered over 2 weeks ago and was looking forward to head start, now since starting last night, steam has messed up and re-download 10 gig, so couldn't play last night due to being up early for work and now it's down again tonight, so I haven't had chance to play apart from one hour today, other than that I've lost another night, so one hour in 2 headstart days, not good at all.
Lt. Commander
# 56
01-30-2010, 02:20 PM
I reported a large number of bugs during open beta. About 2/3 of them were set to "resolved", meaning transferred into the internal bug tracker, by the end of open beta. (There were some days after the end of open beta during which they could have transferred the remaining ones, I don't know. All tickets from open beta were wiped.) Some of the bugs were fixed, many of them were not.

This game was rushed. It was hard not see posts mentioning this before buying. Expect bugs. They will eventually be fixed. But everybody who bought the game can have known this.
Lt. Commander
# 57 Equal base??
01-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Thought all players would start at the same conditions,

Cryptic, only want MORE money.
Lt. Commander
# 58
01-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Ya know, I hate to be the antagonist in a flame war (well ok I guess not really) but I've got to say that if more [edit] actually used Open Beta for it's intended purpose and actually tested the game as well as reported bugs rather than power level or use the Beta as they're own personal "I wanna play the game" time..we might not have so many damn bugs now.

Why do all these trolls start with a sentence or paragraph "I really normally dont post this kind of stuff and I dont want to start a flame war, sense Im holyer then thou BUT...

Lt. Commander
# 59
01-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Ya know, I hate to be the antagonist in a flame war (well ok I guess not really) but I've got to say that if more [edit] actually used Open Beta for it's intended purpose and actually tested the game as well as reported bugs rather than power level or use the Beta as they're own personal "I wanna play the game" time..we might not have so many damn bugs now.
We have to speculate because Cryptic is not releasing any details about the nature of the issues they're experiencing. But I think what you're suggesting is very unlikely to be true for three reasons.

First, if Cryptic felt like they weren't getting enough testing or enough bug reports, they could easily have allowed more people into closed beta. Even for open beta, there were people who wanted in and didn't get in. So if Cryptic felt they needed more testers or more bug reports, they didn't act on it.

Second, the game changed pretty rapidly. New bugs are going to be introduced or exposed when old ones are squashed no matter what. The problem was more that the game didn't have enough time with high load and no major changes to become stable.

Third, release is just different. No matter how much you beta, there will be bugs come release. This is why Microsoft had thousands of beta testers for Vista and XP but people still held off buying until the first service pack. I bet the problems they're encountering now are bugs that are more likely to appear the higher or more varied the load.
Lt. Commander
# 60
01-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Sorry, OP, but the game isn't in its current shape because of underreporting, it's there because of underfixing. There was a metric buttload of bug reports given, but a million bug reports doesn't mean anything if the game isn't given enough time to actually fix those things. We're talking like 3-4 months from closed beta to launch. Don't be ridiculous. With everything that got reported, they simply had no time in just a couple of months to fix everything reported. The bottleneck wasn't the beta testers, it was the launch date.