Lt. Commander
# 61
01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Its not that the word "idiot" is so bad, its that you are trolling.
Firstly, sit on a stick Nagus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Locutus View Post
WHY do this game offer so many different offers?

Pay xx $ you get this, and pay xx $ more, you get that.

Only a new way to cheat new customers on MORE MONEY, or?

Cryptic.......
Second, I'm beginning to think it's being money hungry, plain and simple. I'm starting to lean towards negative thoughts about Cryptic and their handling of this game since Atari became big daddy. Maybe that 20 million bucks Atari promised Cryptic for meeting their deadline should have been spent on the actual game itself and it's launch. Server stability sucks, instancing every 2 minutes for some tiny little map is horrible. Ground crashing all the time is increasingly aggravating. A zillion other problems...immersion is blown thanks to Sector Space and it's huge grid box. The fact that pvp became what it is...and on and on. I have been here hoping this game was the one that I would stay with because I love Star Trek. I don't necessarily love or even like Cryptic but man...like the guy above said now we're paying for this. Not sure how long I'll be paying if they don't straighten stuff out, there's always Bioware I spose hmm?
Lt. Commander
# 62
01-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLacey
Ya know, I hate to be the antagonist in a flame war (well ok I guess not really) but I've got to say that if more [edit] actually used Open Beta for it's intended purpose and actually tested the game as well as reported bugs rather than power level or use the Beta as they're own personal "I wanna play the game" time..we might not have so many damn bugs now.

Me? I read every line slowly and took in the story, I tested and tried things in the game to see if they worked or didn't work. I reported umpteen dozen bugs and faithfully did so. I get the feeling many didn't.

Thoughts?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
/clap for you.

First open betas usually dont last long one maybe 2 weeks prior to launch. This is because at that point in beta the only real test that should be left other then a few minor gliches here and there is major stress tests for the server. Thats why they open it up to get as many people as possible on to see what they can handle before official release.

Second you are correct still in the respect that people are supposed still be reporting bugs etc. However the things that have caused their problems so far do not appear to be a result of lack of beta participation but more a result of foresight into how many additional people would be here for headstart/launch.

And its great that you were the proper beta tester and all but there are lots of people like me who didn't purchase the game till after OB ended. I also already paid for a life sub. So who am I to point the finger at?
You? the self proclaimed good beta tester? Because by your reasoning you've done your job as a beta tester. But this is just your opinion your standards whats best and mine may be different.

Maybe I should point the finger at the same people you are pointing your finger at? You know those who you feel did not test as well as you did. You must have done your job right therefore it was the other beta testers that failed and while we are at it lets just assume that all the other beta testers except you only tested to get a preview of the game.

Or third maybe the finger should be right where it belongs on the developer who should of learned its lesson from the example of CO when they launched it just months ago. Finger firmly planted and applying pressure.

Now for me other then this rant I'm ok with the issues. Yea I was getting quite frustrated yesterday as a life subb'er and all. But the reality is where Cryptic fails at launches I do feel that they succeed when it comes to over all game design. CO failed at launch and I'm sure if any of you here played in head start there you remember the abortion that was the ghost patch that made half their users re download and install the game on launch day. But in the aftermath when all the dust settled and things started running smoothly it was a wonderfully enjoyable game.
Lt. Commander
# 63
01-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samy View Post
Sorry, OP, but the game isn't in its current shape because of underreporting, it's there because of underfixing. There was a metric buttload of bug reports given, but a million bug reports doesn't mean anything if the game isn't given enough time to actually fix those things. We're talking like 3-4 months from closed beta to launch. Don't be ridiculous. With everything that got reported, they simply had no time in just a couple of months to fix everything reported. The bottleneck wasn't the beta testers, it was the launch date.
Yeah I've been thinking more and more that this is indeed the case. I was just picking on a few goofballs in my OP but seriously..what you said.
Lt. Commander
# 64
01-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Ya know, I hate to be the antagonist in a flame war (well ok I guess not really) but I've got to say that if more [edit] actually used Open Beta for it's intended purpose and actually tested the game as well as reported bugs rather than power level or use the Beta as they're own personal "I wanna play the game" time..we might not have so many damn bugs now.

Me? I read every line slowly and took in the story, I tested and tried things in the game to see if they worked or didn't work. I reported umpteen dozen bugs and faithfully did so. I get the feeling many didn't.

Thoughts?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
Wow..they actually edited my post to remove the word idiot which actually gives the impression that I could have used a word that was much worse. Congrats on your diligence. I'm glad this happened and straightened me out before my life really took a downturn and I robbed a liquor store or something.

Read below and tell me what is so terrible about this word? It's not like I cursed.

Copied from Dictionary.com

id⋅i⋅ot [id-ee-uht]

1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.
2. Psychology. a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

Example in a sentence - To generalize is to be an idiot.

Synonyms:
1. fool, half-wit; imbecile; dolt, dunce, numbskull.
Lt. Commander
# 65
01-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Firstly, sit on a stick Nagus...
No thanks. Your obviously enjoying it, so I wouldnt want to make you give it up.
Lt. Commander
# 66
01-31-2010, 06:51 AM
Its amazing how so many people are unable to respond or disagree with the OP without being rude and insulting. Can't we all just take our aggression out on some Klingons?
Lt. Commander
# 67
01-31-2010, 06:55 AM
everyone i know personally who went into beta, didnt report a single bug.

i only got to play around 3 hours of the entire beta (thank you PC for blowing up) but i managed to report at least 2 bugs in that time, every little helps i guess lol
Lt. Commander
# 68
01-31-2010, 06:58 AM
Collision Detection...not a bug so not reported.. my biggest complaint.

Perhaps not the the place for this comment but full impulse into asteroid should kill me, all my crew, and destroy my ship. Nah ... I just bounce around it like Wiley Coyote.. I thought they fixed collision detection in the 80's...

WEAK!
Lt. Commander
# 69
01-31-2010, 07:29 AM
7 pages? Really?

For shame.
Lt. Commander
# 70
01-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Quote:

Thoughts?

Do you HONESTLY think Open Betas are solely about straight up testing and bug reports?

Closed Betas, yes. You actually have to do some footwork to get into Closed Betas.

Open Betas, no. Grab a code somewhere and you're in. I credit the guys who actually, consistently file reports but the cynic in me says this: Open Betas are big preview / promo periods for an upcoming MMO. People try the Open Beta and get a good taste of what's likely to come. If it's to their liking, they are sold on playing when the game goes live. Also, it doesn't help that marketing for an MMO going Open Beta plasters the fact everywhere to "come on down" and try it out. Again, Open Betas are Huge Promotional periods.
Gamespy
Massively's STO Open Beta Key GIVEAWAY
Edit to add: I also think Open Betas are more of a "Stress Test" since the amount of players expected are much bigger than Closed Betas. Also, there is no NDA applied to Open Betas, at least with STO when I signed up for the OB. That alone says how "open in nature" the Beta is and how they want people to come and check it out. Closed Betas usually have NDAs associated with them. With the expected larger number of people in OBs, you seriously cannot expect them to sit down and jot bug reports down. However, you DO see them putting complaints on the forums. At least there is feedback in that way.