Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 960
I've been learning to fly more cruisers and battlecruisers, since I'm interested in picking up an Avenger, but since many top-end builds seem to revolve around managing Aux2Batt, and recommend using macros to bind everything to the spacebar, I wonder just how much of this is necessary to make it work well.

For TL;DR types, here are my main questions:

1. Do I need to use macros to make an Aux2Batt build work?
2. Do I need to have 2 copies of Aux2Batt or can I get by with just 1?
3. If I don't have or can't afford the Marion doff (can we please call him "Agent Dulmer"?), should I bother with having DEM3 in my build?
4. Is an Avenger better/more fun as a beam array boat, Dual-beam boat, or cannon boat?
5. Is Aceton Beam any good?

Right now I've got a Regent (non-Fleet), Ambassador (non-Fleet), and an Odyssey Star Cruiser (the one that's in the Fleet store and gifted by the special event. I have 3 purple technicians, DEM3 (I'm an Engi captain), and access to most of the rep gear (except nukara rep). I have no plans to be competitive in PVP.

If possible I'd like to avoid getting a Fleet ship (though if I pick up any fleet ship it'll be a Fleet Avenger). I currently prefer the Ambassador because of the LtC Science slot, though I also like the Oddy since I get more Tac options out of its universal LtC. I find the regent a bit squishy, but folks here seem to say it's the best FAW DPS boat, so I dunno lol.

Here is my current, non-Aux2batt Ambassador build:

Eng Captain:

Fore: Romulan Plasma Mk XII BA, Experimental Romulan BA, Plasma DBB (Romulan eventually), Omega Torpedo
Aft: Romulan Plasma Mk XII BAx2, Kinetic cutting Beam, Rom hyper torpedo (or Wide-Angle Quantum Torpedo or Plasma BA)

Gear: Borg 3-piece set (MACO/Omega available) Mk XI, Purple Hyper Injection Warp Core Mk XI [SEP] [E->S] [ACap] [SSR]

Boffs (in order of power rank):
Tac LT: Tactical Team (or Beam FAW), Attack Pattern Beta
Tac EN: Beam Overload
Sci LTC: Hazard Emitters, Transfer Shield Strength, Gravity Well
Eng CDR: Emergency Power Shields, Aux to SIF, Emer. Pow. Weapons III, Eject Warp Plasma III (or DEM III)
Eng LT: Emer. Pow. Shields, Reverse Shield Polarity

Consoles:
Eng: Tachyokinetic Converter, Borg console, Zero-point console, Armor console (or RCS, or gimmick console like Team Fortress, Grapple, etc.)
Sci: 2x Field Generators Mk XI blue
Tac: Plasma Infusers

Doffs:
Blue Beam Ability Recharge
Purple Aftershock Gravity Well
Blue Tac Team Recharge
Blue Emergency Power power boost
Blue Evasive Maneuvers recharge (or Emergency Power recharge)

Devices:
Subspace Modulator, Engine Battery (replace with Deuterium Surplus), Aux Battery, Weapons Battery

This build is essentially the same on the Odyssey, except ditching the LT ENG and putting in the following:

Sci EN: Tractor Beam or Polarize Hull
Uni LTC (Tac): Tac Team, Beam FAW, APB

On the Regent it's:

Tac LTC: BO (or Tac Team), BFAW (or APB or BO), TSIII/HYIII/FAWIII
Tac EN: Tac Team (or BFAWI)
Uni LT (Sci): HE, TSS

Any advice welcome!

Last edited by unangbangkay; 11-04-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 669
# 2
11-04-2013, 05:11 AM
You dont have to use a macro but it makes life easier. I use a Razor Naga gaming mouse. It comes with a software interface that allows you to make a macro and then bind it to a button on the mouse. I created one for my offensive abilities, one for healing, and a auto macro that fires off the 2 A2B and an Aux Battery as soon one is off cooldown. And I made one for anti-alpha strike for when I'm in Kerrat that launches my Subspace jumper then my TT and TSS and APD. Then I hit my button that fires off my attack skills. Its a great mouse for $50 that makes things much easier. No more having to click on something 20 times to get it activate and trying to manuever at the same time. I would say if the interface was not so laggey and slow then I would not need a gaming mouse but as it is now you have to click on something over and over before it even activates.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 158
# 3
11-04-2013, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnake721 View Post
You dont have to use a macro but it makes life easier. I use a Razor Naga gaming mouse. It comes with a software interface that allows you to make a macro and then bind it to a button on the mouse. I created one for my offensive abilities, one for healing, and a auto macro that fires off the 2 A2B and an Aux Battery as soon one is off cooldown. And I made one for anti-alpha strike for when I'm in Kerrat that launches my Subspace jumper then my TT and TSS and APD. Then I hit my button that fires off my attack skills. Its a great mouse for $50 that makes things much easier. No more having to click on something 20 times to get it activate and trying to manuever at the same time. I would say if the interface was not so laggey and slow then I would not need a gaming mouse but as it is now you have to click on something over and over before it even activates.
+1 nothing like going warp core critical because you need 5 seconds to get a button to work and are dead in 3.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 625
# 4
11-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post

1. Do I need to use macros to make an Aux2Batt build work?
2. Do I need to have 2 copies of Aux2Batt or can I get by with just 1?
3. If I don't have or can't afford the Marion doff (can we please call him "Agent Dulmer"?), should I bother with having DEM3 in my build?
4. Is an Avenger better/more fun as a beam array boat, Dual-beam boat, or cannon boat?
5. Is Aceton Beam any good?
1. You don't but it makes life easier. It doesn't have to be a full macro, just the ingame binding commands can work. The Spacebar Keybind is so simple and useful I run it on any ship.
2. This is a great explanation of the differences.
3. Personally I don't find him worth the cost. With the 2pc Borg secondary set (Console and cutting beam) there will be a nice reduction on power drain that will keep your weapons firing at high power. DEM3 is still great if you PVP, with the Omega Weapon AMP, Tetryon Glider and Plasma Embassy Consoles you can take out very weakened targets though their RSP.
4. I ran mine as a beam boat, a cannon boat is also good . I don't think Dual-beams (with turrets) is a good set up; only use DBB to augment cannons.
5. No. There are far better things to put in those engi slots like AuxtoSIF, or TSS or DEM or RSP even EWP; basically anything. Aceton Beam only reduces the firepower of one target and has a long cool down.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 960
# 5
11-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the advice, all! I'll start exploring and report back as well. In the meantime, any build advice is welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamstrike View Post
3. Personally I don't find him worth the cost. With the 2pc Borg secondary set (Console and cutting beam) there will be a nice reduction on power drain that will keep your weapons firing at high power. DEM3 is still great if you PVP, with the Omega Weapon AMP, Tetryon Glider and Plasma Embassy Consoles you can take out very weakened targets though their RSP.
Does this mean DEM3 isn't so good in PVE, where few things have particularly strong shields? Based on the description DEM3 doesn't seem to do much to increase raw damage output on unshielded targets (though I assume having Marion would have an effect due to having high weapon power for more of the firing cycle).
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,940
# 6
11-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
Thanks for the advice, all! I'll start exploring and report back as well. In the meantime, any build advice is welcome!



Does this mean DEM3 isn't so good in PVE, where few things have particularly strong shields? Based on the description DEM3 doesn't seem to do much to increase raw damage output on unshielded targets (though I assume having Marion would have an effect due to having high weapon power for more of the firing cycle).
i'm pretty sure DEM adds some dmg regardless, it shouldn't, but i think it does.
the thing is also, that beams somehow profit from very, very high weapon power well beyond the cap of 125.
last i read about it, that is working as intended...except it only works for beams.
Go pro or go home
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,185
# 7
11-04-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm running macro-free on my A2B Gal-X and haven't encountered any issues. Two A2B skill instances are required, and DEM does add significant damage output in both PVE and PVP, especially when you have Marion Frances Dulmer DOFF equipped.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,471
# 8
11-04-2013, 12:39 PM
If you're hitting Aux2batt every 10 seconds if you run 2 copies then you're forgoing the power transfer benefits. Wait 5 seconds and hit it after you've regained some Aux power for+ power to weapons shields and engines. Also should only carry Aux batteries as this will make your heals help more plus dump more into the other 3 power levels when using Aux2batt. 1 battery to effect all your systems

PS I use ZERO keybinds or Macros and have found it highly successful in PvP.

Last edited by edalgo; 11-05-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,115
# 9
11-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
Thanks for the advice, all! I'll start exploring and report back as well. In the meantime, any build advice is welcome!



Does this mean DEM3 isn't so good in PVE, where few things have particularly strong shields? Based on the description DEM3 doesn't seem to do much to increase raw damage output on unshielded targets (though I assume having Marion would have an effect due to having high weapon power for more of the firing cycle).
I don't think DEM3 is worth it. By itself it's a weak skill not worth using, it's only worth using if you have Marion doff, and even then only because of the 8 seconds he gives you energy weapon drain.

The shield penetration pulse sounds like it would work better with cannons than with beams, so maybe it's worth using in that fashion.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,805
# 10
11-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
1. Do I need to use macros to make an Aux2Batt build work?
2. Do I need to have 2 copies of Aux2Batt or can I get by with just 1?
3. If I don't have or can't afford the Marion doff (can we please call him "Agent Dulmer"?), should I bother with having DEM3 in my build?
4. Is an Avenger better/more fun as a beam array boat, Dual-beam boat, or cannon boat?
5. Is Aceton Beam any good?
1. No, but it's a lot of button-mashing without a keybind.
2. Ideally, yes. With blue/purple technicians, two copies of A2B allow you to activate the ability (and proc the doffs) every ten seconds.
3. DEM3 can be a decent damage bonus by itself, but I'd prefer RSP3 for more survivability. I also use EPtW3 a lot.
4. I use beam arrays fore and aft on the Avenger. I'll be honest, I haven't tried it any other way. Personal record with the Fleet Avenger and a tac captain is 19k.
5. Sadly not.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:22 PM.