Lt. Commander
# 41
11-12-2013, 09:26 AM
We'll find out in half an hour!
Lt. Commander
# 42
11-12-2013, 09:53 AM
For those of us who already have the game installed on a Boot Camp partition, will there be an option/method to point the mac installer at that to pull the game files from, or am I looking at another 10gb download?
Ensign
# 43 Mac requirements
11-12-2013, 09:55 AM
from what i saw, its 10.7 or later....which means i guess icant play?
Career Officer
# 44
11-12-2013, 10:05 AM
If your machine is new enough to play the game, it's new enough to support Mavericks. STO requires a Core i-series (or a Xeon, which you only find in the Mac Pro and Xserve), and all such Macs are supported by Mavericks. Mavericks is free on the App Store to anybody running at least 10.6. Normally I don't recommend to people installing the point-zero release of an OS unless they know what they're getting into, but if you want to play the Mac STO port it will let you do it.

If your machine is not on the supported list for Mavericks, you're not playing STO on it anyway (except maybe the original 2006/2007 Mac Pro with a 3.0 GHz CPU and a GPU upgrade).
Ensign
# 45
11-12-2013, 10:07 AM
....and we are off to the races! Yeeehaww.
Starfleet Veteran
# 46
11-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagius View Post
For those of us who already have the game installed on a Boot Camp partition, will there be an option/method to point the mac installer at that to pull the game files from, or am I looking at another 10gb download?
You can copy over your existing game files. No need to download them again. But you need to do this manually, the installer doesn't give you the option.

See here for more details on how to do this http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=10

Last edited by captfabulous; 11-12-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Captain
# 47
11-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Still downloading the 7.995 GB patchfile (after at least an hour) to my Mac and only up to 48% so far. Boy, I sure don't miss this when I had to do it for my Win7 PC fourteen months ago. And then I still need to see if STO can even run on my Mac. At least my 2009 laptop isn't so new that I can't upgrade the RAM from 4 GB, if that should prove necessary.

Next day's addendum: Don't use your internet connection for anything else while downloading the patchfile, or it could take a very long time. I got bored, and was on my Win7 PC on the Internet, watching videos on YouTube. Really dumb idea. The download took at least 7 hours in all, I believe. But once that was done, I got on STO with no queue delays, no major frame-rate problems (it was slower than with the Win7 PC, but I expected that and didn't mind), no map-change bugs, no crashes. I just had to increase the in-game resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768 mainly to make text easier to read, and using the trackpad wasn't an issue, but then again I wasn't in a ground or space battle. Might be willing to experiment with normal screen vs. widescreen to see which I prefer. At least now I know that if I'm somewhere where I can't use my Win7 PC (away from home, for instance), I can still connect to and play STO via my MacBook Pro. Qa'pla!

Last edited by philipclayberg; 11-13-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 48
11-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captfabulous View Post
You can copy over your existing game files. No need to download them again. But you need to do this manually, the installer doesn't give you the option.

See here for more details on how to do this http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=10
Exactly what I was looking for, confirmation that this would actually work

Thanks
Empire Veteran
# 49
11-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Thank you Cryptic!!!
Ensign
# 50
11-14-2013, 09:18 AM
It's very great to see that Star Trek Online now has an official Mac version. As I heard the Linux guys will probably see a version for their OS too. I'm just wondering if we will ever see Star Trek Online on mobile platforms such as iOS and Android. I would absolutely love to see it on iPads, that would make us feel so much closer to Star Trek. I know that would be very hard to do, if possible at all, but I would even be happy if it only turns out to be a stretched down of STO that just imitates the real one.
Join the PvE Team channel!