Lt. Commander
# 1 Game worth buying? How is it?
01-31-2010, 05:06 AM
Ive been keeping an eye on this game for a while now and im thinking about purchasing it.

Ive just browsed abit around here on the forums and there seems to be alot of issues at the moment, should i wait for Cryptic to iron out more bugs?

Im an old MMO player and i dont really want to be a betatester for a retail game as ive been so many times in the past. I know most games have issues on launch but some are worse than others.

What category does STO fall under? The "Good release" , "Usual buggy release" or "Very buggy release"?

Also, how is Cryptic at fixing issues reported in beta? Do they fix them within a reasonable timeframe or are they slow (weeks or months)? (note that im thinking about serious/annoying bugs here, not typical visual bugs or whatever)

Looking forward to some input from people playing the headstart/people who played beta.
I will probably add questions if more arise from the replies. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 05:59 AM
I would to get some opinions on this too.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 06:02 AM
I can only speak for myself. I'm hanging on to my retail key for at least a few weeks after launch.

I love the game, but the difficulty level has been ratcheted way down across the entire game. They've removed what minimal consequences for dying there was in the game (zerg city) and the server's stability still seems to need some TLC (I'm sure that will be addressed).
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 06:05 AM
Its a great game in all ways. exept for many of us in the EU whos having problems with constant disconnects from the game server because of the eu proxy. other then that its fun
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 06:17 AM
"All personal opinion, obviously, but here goes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by nem_no
Ive just browsed abit around here on the forums and there seems to be alot of issues at the moment, should i wait for Cryptic to iron out more bugs?
  • Just like an MMO there are bugs. I have not encountered any bugs that I would classify as "More than Mildly Annoying" - other people have though. Over-all this is the least buggy product I can remember Beta testing.

Quote:
What category does STO fall under? The "Good release" , "Usual buggy release" or "Very buggy release"?
  • "Good Release" - for sure. The servers have always been up when I wanted to play - all the features I use are in-game. I am having a blast!

Quote:
Also, how is Cryptic at fixing issues reported in beta? Do they fix them within a reasonable timeframe or are they slow (weeks or months)? (note that im thinking about serious/annoying bugs here, not typical visual bugs or whatever)
  • The rate at which Cryptic releases patches to fix problems and errors is nothing short of miraculous. They must be working like dogs over there. They are on top of any major bugs/problems and usually fix them within a couple weeks.

Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 06:19 AM
Have to say its been not bad for an mmo release here so far. Some lag when zoning mostly but most of the time its been performing pretty good here so I'd have to say good release.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 06:19 AM
If you like Star Trek you'll like this game, most likely.

That's really all the advice I can give.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbaer
I can only speak for myself. I'm hanging on to my retail key for at least a few weeks after launch.

I love the game, but the difficulty level has been ratcheted way down across the entire game. They've removed what minimal consequences for dying there was in the game (zerg city) and the server's stability still seems to need some TLC (I'm sure that will be addressed).
Across the entire game huh? Thats interestng since you're probably not even out of tier 1 or 2, which teh devs said was made easy delibrately.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillos View Post
  • The rate at which Cryptic releases patches to fix problems and errors is nothing short of miraculous. They must be working like dogs over there. They are on top of any major bugs/problems and usually fix them within a couple weeks.
Hmm.. there's still some major bugs that haven't been ironed out yet, for instance the one where some items and bridge officers don't seem to show up in your inventory after some missions, to name but one.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
Across the entire game huh? Thats interestng since you're probably not even out of tier 1 or 2, which teh devs said was made easy delibrately.
This is true. Tier 3 and above gets reasonably harder, I should know, I made it to Commander 4 or 5 before Open Beta finished.