Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
Until i know the game i hate spending points on skills that will be worthless, so what are the basics that everyone should cap, so i can stick points in there until i figure out how to customize properly

also if this helps ill probably be building a PvP space pure offensive build

which i am assuming means tactical officer and something else down the road
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 07:21 AM
You have to spend skill points to advance in Grade and Rank.

In the skills window click on each skill and look at the window that pops up on the right - you'll see what 1 skill point buys you.

Personally I spread my points out at the beginning (only first tier skills are available to Lt) and put 4 in all space based skills and then figure out what I want to build for each char.

For first tier you can max all the space skills with no problem.

For the other tiers it really depends on Boff skills you want to use, player abilities, and ship configurations.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 07:44 AM
I found a post someone on here that recommended getting all your first-level skills up to 7, no matter what you eventually do with your character. That'll serve as a good foundation for all. That's what I'm doing now.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 07:46 AM
I max Warp Core Theorist, and the Starship Command (? turn speed, small buff for all ships). I then spend on weapons a bit, and try to stick to skills that I know affect abilities.

Those first two though, I believe are excellent base skills for every player.
Lt. Commander
# 5 The First Tier
01-30-2010, 08:13 AM
The First Tier is pointless as far as wondering if you should or shouldnt rank it up all the way.

In the beta I was at grade 6 or 7 for LT and I had everything ranked up all the way.

You dont get access to tier to stuff until you become at LT Commander

In the head start im grade 5 and have already maxed out everything in tier one.
I have (cant reember if its 1-9 then y ou rank up, or 1-10 then rank up) right now
and excess of points that I cant spend until I rank up.

So just rank everything up to level 9 in the first tier. I start up with starship then
spread evenly from there.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neog2 View Post
The First Tier is pointless as far as wondering if you should or shouldnt rank it up all the way.

In the beta I was at grade 6 or 7 for LT and I had everything ranked up all the way.

I have (cant reember if its 1-9 then y ou rank up, or 1-10 then rank up) right now

So just rank everything up to level 9 in the first tier. I start up with starship then
I guess my question really comes down to this: you are maxing out your skills of all of the level one items and have points to spare, is it better to NOT max out some of the skills and save those points to be used later once you rank up, or do you HAVE to spend those points in order to rank up
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Max out Starship Command and Warp core asap after that it really depends on your on play style. Hands down Starship Command just make life easier for you at low levels at least max that out first.

Then Holodeck hacking.... you know for them 'special' programs.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapuma View Post
do you HAVE to spend those points in order to rank up
Yes you have to spend points to rank up. But you can hover your mouse of the XP bar at the top of the screen to see the amount you HAVE to spend in case you want to save a few points when your close to your next rank.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Quote:

you are mistaken, make sure youve scrolled the skillpage down

you cant max everything before LT Commander, and you cant have any points left unspent else you cant get promoted
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:

This post is inaccurate. While you can get most of your skills up quite far as Lt. this post is exaggerating the availability of skill points.