Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Okay, guys, seriously. PvP is gone; there is little to no skill element left, its a cheese-fest for everyone involved. I'm sure there are quite a few who disagree, but lets face it; Cryptic doesn't care about PvP, and the only people who win in it are the people who don't play fair and spam the broken stuff.

There was *once*, a long time ago, a time when PvP was fun. That time is long over; I think Legacy of Romulus officially killed it. Elachi Black Balls, insane Romulan Beam Overload criticals, endless Scramble DoFFs, Temporal Inversion Field, Yellowstones, Orion Interceptors, Aux2Batt EMPs, Boarding Party DoFFs, invisible Warp Plasma/Theta, God-Mode Bugships, endless flipping spam, Antimatter Spread, and that BLASTED ROMULAN PLACATE; its all cheese. Its not fun anymore, and hasn't been for a long time.

You can all fight over the table scraps of PvP, I for one have given up trying to get Cryptic to fix it and players to fight fair. I'm sick of watching newer players getting bullied by "experienced PvPers" who spend hours telling noobies that "their ideas don't work, you have to do it the way we say". Hell, I left my fleet of three years because of that.

Cheers.
Career Officer
# 2
11-02-2013, 04:32 PM
What's PVP? SWTOR anyone?
Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit long ago
- Gohan (House of Beautiful /Sad Pandas)
/channel_join Tyler Durden for Organised Balanced PVP matches
Career Officer
# 3
11-02-2013, 04:34 PM
agreed. I rarely pvp anymore, because its either me and 4 people smashing ques, me and 4 rands getting smashed by a premade, or me and 9 other players arranging a match that ends up taking 120 minutes and is faught entirely at the top of the map. PVP died for me when LOR came out and all my toons were garbage next to a shiny new Romulan.

I have ideas, but really, Who would listen.
Lieutenant
# 4
11-02-2013, 04:37 PM
I have to agree with you on this one.. PvP is no longer fun.. FACT!

And what's even more amusing are those that say it is fine have either P2W or have been sniffing too many toilet seats!!

FACT: Too many weapons bypass shields (why bother with shields?)
FACT: Some battles, there's more npc's on the field than actual players
FACT: Cheese is rampant & there's those that think it makes them good players

FACT: PvP doesn't exist in this game - well, not what most of us would class as PvP

*rant over, coffee on standby, cig lit, standby for dumb*ss comments* *FACT*
__________________________________________________ ___

Beta player - forum knows jack as to when I started

__________________________________________________ ___
Captain
# 5
11-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Also the proliferation of stupid dps ships and builds make PvE even less worth doing. Really no point even playing this game anymore. Will pop in when season 8 starts otherwise my friend has tempted me to guild wars 2. Not as good as the first but it will kill time and has some idea about its mission focus.
------
It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
This is the last thing I will post.
Career Officer
# 6
11-02-2013, 04:58 PM
I hope this thread doesent devolve into the P2W lamantation, because I know a lot of pvpers that will beat you in a ship they didnt buy from the cstore or lockbox, and spam/skill cheese etc is largely correlated to the players ability to coordinate said cheeze.

This is the problem: Pvp is inaccessible to a lot of people who dont take the game seriously enough to dedicate themselves to a social fleet, so casual players (the lifeblood of STO) are shut out by veteran players and fleets. Shut down by the same players who will be first to the plate to lament how the game has been 'dumbed down' if anything is ever done to shorten the gap between the common players and the 'eliteists'.

What we have is a pvp system that people get a foul taste of because of a relatively small part of the games population who can literally sit in the ques all night and smash pugs with their superior coordination. P2W is NOT the factor that people think it is. Every one of you have the same opportunity to invest time or money into the game to get the big guns, but all the Zen in the world wont make you an elite player when you are against 5 people coordinating their efforts.

the Fact is, there arent enough people pvping. The ratio to people in the PVP ques at ANY TIME to the amount of peopel doing PVE would be embarrasing to any game publisher who cared about their pvp content. I will que right now, and I promise I will know at least half of the people on the map, I will predict with flawless accuracy who will do the most damage, who will have the most healing numbers, who will win, who will quit before the game is over, will we be stuck at the top of the map, and if we can wrap the match up in a reasonable time.

Last edited by pulserazor; 11-02-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Captain
# 7
11-02-2013, 05:02 PM
I fully agree it's a shame but it's true

The thing what worries me the most is from what very little I've seen of the devs posts there are only two people involved with this game that understand the fundamentals and mechanics enough to even start to fix it virus dancer and DDIS the devs are clueless one of them "geko" claiming that weapon drain is working as intended lolz

I love the game but pve is far more appealing these days if not simply because you don't either have to have 100 gbp a week to keep up with the latest in "PAY2PLAY" technology or 120 hours ie(no life,job or wife) to do it

The ironic thing is I don't think the devs will ever end it completely as even though the numbers of pvpers are limited the amount of money some people must sink into lockbox lottery etc will chances are be astronomical
----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====----

Last edited by mustafatennick; 11-02-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Captain
# 8
11-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpharma View Post
Also the proliferation of stupid dps ships and builds make PvE even less worth doing. Really no point even playing this game anymore. Will pop in when season 8 starts otherwise my friend has tempted me to guild wars 2. Not as good as the first but it will kill time and has some idea about its mission focus.
The gw2 pvp system is what Cryptic should be looking at. You don't even need to bother leveling a toon if all you want to do is PvP in GW2.
/channel_join Tyler Durden
Captain
# 9
11-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Mustafatennick, there's no point bothering with PvE either. Only challenge is in ground and that's more to do with the lack of people who play it thus who have no idea what or how to do anything on ground.

I mean do any PvE mission in space with Naz, ultimatum, Antonio, DDIS or anyone else who knows how to build stupidly high constant damage ships and short of deliberate time gates you'll be done in 2-3 mins, tops. No challenge, no point, just grind for grinds sake.
------
It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
This is the last thing I will post.
Captain
# 10
11-02-2013, 05:19 PM
"apb3, bo2, crf3 thy3" + X+YxZ2

rep stuffs a barrier to entry - fixed time gate demands grinding of rep rather then playing the games other content(including pvp)

doffs are a barrier to entry - massive time sink and game balance breaker

ships are a barrier to entry - the very few that are competitive at high level due to the idiocy oft the antique trinity

the antique trinity is a barrier to entry - people may invest massive amounts of time and effort into a toon from a given class just for the unbalancable nature of the antique trinity to cause cyclical power creep away from that class.

even BOFFS can be a barrier to entry - since their traits arent balanced in a way to be optional to tactics, but "have these or be disadvantaged"

you cant have PvP without a level starting point for the players, argument to the contrary stems from sociopathy making people think they are entitled to victimise others in a game for a hobby, due to spending money.

doesnt help that many of the "powers" effectively blind the player to all but the clunky gui, which obsessive players actively bypass with key-bind scripts/macros/etc.

gruond is affected with its own broken that revolve around the "mook" npc design and the abysmal ai.
If you like the RPG trinity, then you hate MMOs, you hate working, competitive fair PvP, you hate balanced engaging solo content,
and,
you hate PvE "adventure zones". because the trinity is incompatible with any of these.