Lt. Commander
# 101
09-12-2008, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRedshirt View Post
Oh really?

Who determines the roots of Trek? Simple. Gene Roddenberry.

TOS and TNG up to the time of his death. That is the roots of Star Trek. Period.

Everything that came after Gene's passing doesn't represent the roots. DS9 and Voyager was Rick Berman's vision of Trek, not Gene's. In fact, Gene wouldn't buy off on DS9 while he was alive because it was too dark, too gritty and wasn't the Trek he wanted to portray. So, when did DS9 go forward? Once Gene had passed, and wasn't there to object anymore.

So yes, I do know what the hell I'm talking about.
But have you considered all the implications? For example, Gene was enamoured with the idea of Wesley serving on the bridge as a teenager. No matter how bone-headed that decision was. And as for the money thing... I don't think anyone's ever properly explained how that system's supposed to work.
I love the old series, but it had its flaws.
Also, and let me be quite clear, there is no game concept within what you're describing. What would the game be? Constructing the most gripping analogy for a pseudo-scientific concept? Punching a fanged alien in the face while kissing a hot alien chick? Stopping your first officer and doctor from squabbling?
It's the same problem with all these people saying "We should be able to have a crew", when a moment's thought would tell you that there will never, ever be enough people willing to play second and third banana for that to be worthwhile. And then there's the simple fact that some fans won't work with other fans who think DS9 was a better show than TOS, or who think Spock could beat Worf in a fight, and blah, blah, blah.
I'm pretty certain not a week went by in TOS without Kirk punching someone in the face or something being blown up or shot at. Just because the damn phasers never worked as a weapon in TOS is no reason to say it wasn't about combat. For god's sake, you're named after the characters who got killed every week! It wasn't ALWAYS a space anomaly that got them!

And finally, the thing that is going to make or break this game is going to be whether or not this community can band together to make it fun, or whether it'll degenerate into partisan bickering. Thank you for doing your part.
Lt. Commander
# 102
09-12-2008, 09:09 AM
I like the passion going into this game... sweet
But I do hope that (maybe not at first) the game is at least 50/50 combat-non-combat orientated. I just hope updates and add-ons isnt primarily aimed at combat gameplay. I want to be able to create a character that never has to fire a phaser ever and have fun.

I dont care much for DS9 as I also belives it falls out of sync with Genes vision, and I think he never would have labled it Trek. XD
Lt. Commander
# 103
09-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Hello.

Do you love what you are making or is it just a job to you? Being a devoit fan does not cover this question.

(Didn't read everything.)
Lt. Commander
# 104
09-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Qouting Al Rivera-
I can promise you that I will do all that I can to ensure this IP is treated with respect and accuracy. This is not going to be another cookie-cutter MMO with a Star Trek skin on it. STO will be the unique experience that you have been waiting for.

whatever dude. theres only so many ways you can design an mmo, We know cryptic isn't trying to do any ground breaking stuff, and your already using the champions engine. so yea I'm looking forward to champion trek lol no offense and yes i know... someones gonna get me for that one lol.
Lt. Commander
# 105
09-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguila432 View Post
whatever dude. theres only so many ways you can design an mmo, We know cryptic isn't trying to do any ground breaking stuff, and your already using the champions engine. so yea I'm looking forward to champion trek lol no offense and yes i know... someones gonna get me for that one lol.
No need to get you for it, it's already a beaten dead horse buried among the various graphics threads about what the game engine is. People still haven't gotten that message apparently.
Lt. Commander
# 106
09-13-2008, 02:16 AM
I am looking forward to this. This looks great and I saw the trailer. I know I will enjoy this.
Lt. Commander
# 107 Congrats Al!
09-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Hey Al, congrats on living your dream to design STO. I have been playing Star Wars Galaxies for four years now and I started that after dropping Star Trek Empires at War. I enjoyed the game but it was too limiting in terms of ship design, combat, exploration and most of all -- story line.

I love a good story line/plot and that is one of the things I really appreciated about the entire Star Trek genre. I am happy to hear that you are interested in that as well. I would like to encourage you to give as much freedom of diversity to characters and ship equipment as possible. That goes double for exploration.

I'd also ask that you consider instituting some kind of penalty for players in high level, high risk situations according to their faction -- i.e. fail a Romulan mission and you could be demoted, flee a Kligon battle or allow yourself to be captured and you could be demoted, destroy a freighter as a federation ship and you lose reputation, etc... I also hope the reward system is factionally aligned as well.

Other than that, man I wish you all the luck in the world! I am really looking forward to experiencing STO and I want to thank you for taking on this endavour.

You are awesome!

Peace.

p.s. my favorite Trek episodes are also Sisko's retaking of DS9 and the Borg assimilation of Picard. You gotta work those in somewhere in STO!
Lt. Commander
# 108
09-13-2008, 07:58 AM
Personaly i think that they show us the combat first just to start the hype for the game for players thats not trekkers , they will probably move on to the other areas soon.
Lt. Commander
# 109
09-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Congratulations
Lt. Commander
# 110 cloak tech
09-14-2008, 12:01 AM
What I really want to know being a treky is will there be cloaking tech for the star fleet i mean the khitomer accords no longer exists and if im corect then the ban on that particular pice of tech is lifted right